War. War never changes. (Except when it does)

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: War. War never changes. (Except when it does)

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:32 pm

NOW BACK TO THE GOOD PART

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:12 pm

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Thad wrote:It's tempting, given recent and upcoming presidencies, to look back on Nixon as not so bad after all.

But he really, really was.

It's the comfortable hindsight of knowing that despite his best efforts, he didn't actually blow up the world. Whoever's pulling shit this month feels more dangerous because they still might.

Mongrel wrote:She also explains why:

Speak of the devils. No secret there, because they want more Muslim terrorism to fuel the culture war at home.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:05 pm

mharr wrote:
Thad wrote:It's tempting, given recent and upcoming presidencies, to look back on Nixon as not so bad after all.

But he really, really was.

It's the comfortable hindsight of knowing that despite his best efforts, he didn't actually blow up the world. Whoever's pulling shit this month feels more dangerous because they still might.

Never forget that he sunk the '68 peace conference as part of his attempts to be elected. Millions died that didn't have to just so Nixon could be president.

As bad as Trump is, funny enough he has yet to do anything on that scale.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:37 am

Could also go in SCIENCE!

The future of steel plate armour is... Steel foam armour!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Palestinians being massacred as usual...

Best quote, from the UN SecGen of all places:

As news of the violence spread, U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres – who is slated to visit President Trump in Washington on Friday – said he is "particularly worried" about what he called "the high number of people killed," according to the AP.

"Yeah, hi... could just tone down the death? Just a little, maybe two notches? We don't want to be too excessive."

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Remember not to make the people gunning down protesters look bad folks, or they'll show you:

EDIT: This tweet:
was deleted by the journalist because the man was misidentified. His name is actually Saber al-Ashqar (but the tweet was otherwise accurate: The person in this photo from last week was shot dead in the protests yesterday.

David Confronting Goliath, circa 1000 BCE, colorized

Meanwhile Kushner is busy throwing gas on the fire while calling it water...

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 15, 2018 2:45 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 15, 2018 8:11 pm

Also:
With Monday's massacre, Israel has now killed more than 90 Palestinians in the past six weeks for approaching the fence it placed around Gaza, surpassing the total number of East Germans shot and killed for trying to scale the Berlin Wall from 1961 to 1989

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed May 16, 2018 12:09 am

Wow that dastardly Hamas, with their master plan to attack Israel by getting gunned down indiscriminately.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 16, 2018 1:11 am

The most frightening thing about this is that Bibi has actually been steadily alienating everyone in his desperate attempts to stay in power and avoid corruption charges.

Representatives of most branches of Judaism, domestic and foreign, were excluded from the ceremony and were not seen on stage at the embassy opening:
“You have made history,” Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli Prime Minister, said to U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday as the two leaders, flanked by a discomfiting alliance of far-right politicians, ultra-Orthodox rabbis and [American] evangelical preachers who have declared that Jews are doomed to burn in hell, officiated over the U.S. embassy’s move to the contested city of Jerusalem.

Good company.

Apparently Rick Jacobs, the leader of the US's largest Jewish congregation (Union for Reform Judaism) penned an editorial where he said Israel's actions had made him to feel ashamed to be Jewish (I can't link the op-ed - it's on Haaretz behind a paywall), which, even for a liberal Reform leader is... strong words. Not that that bothers Bibi's gang, since they already hate Jacobs... one of Bibi's ministers told him earlier this year that there was no need to provide prayer space for Reform Jews at the Wailing Wall, since they expected Reform Judaism to be dead in Israel inside a generation.

Non-Israeli Jewish opinion of Israel is at an all-time low; along other, less-high-profile actions, Natalie Portman (who has in the past been noted for a very strong pro-Israel stance) refused a huge Israeli award this week in protest. Never mind that pretty much the entire Arab world outside of the Saudi Royal family and MAYBE the Egyptian government, despises him at this point.

But still he clings to power. Much like Trump, God only knows what he'll try next.

Blood and greed...

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed May 16, 2018 1:41 am

If you have a problem that's not being solved by the use of violence, you're not using enough violence!
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 16, 2018 2:17 am

Grath wrote:Wow that dastardly Hamas, with their master plan to attack Israel by getting gunned down indiscriminately.

Every time I see this, I can't help but picture it as an unironic IDF tweet.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed May 16, 2018 2:38 am

IDF tweet? You're underestimating the rot.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 16, 2018 2:52 am

Well, Bibi is 100% scum. This is pretty well established.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed May 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Mongrel wrote:The most frightening thing about this is that Bibi has actually been steadily alienating everyone in his desperate attempts to stay in power and avoid corruption charges.

I can't help but wonder how much US support is being derived from Mike Pence, whose religion views Jewish people as the stepping stone to bringing about the apocalypse.

Pence’s religious views matter here, because he holds an evangelical notion of Judaism, one that sees Jews as nothing more than instruments in an apocalyptic narrative that seeks the return of Christ. What at first appears to be a well-intentioned, if bungling, message turns out to have an insidious intent: to signal to his base that accommodating gestures made toward Jews are being made in the service of Christian aims.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Büge wrote:
Mongrel wrote:The most frightening thing about this is that Bibi has actually been steadily alienating everyone in his desperate attempts to stay in power and avoid corruption charges.

I can't help but wonder how much US support is being derived from Mike Pence, whose religion views Jewish people as the stepping stone to bringing about the apocalypse.

Pence’s religious views matter here, because he holds an evangelical notion of Judaism, one that sees Jews as nothing more than instruments in an apocalyptic narrative that seeks the return of Christ. What at first appears to be a well-intentioned, if bungling, message turns out to have an insidious intent: to signal to his base that accommodating gestures made toward Jews are being made in the service of Christian aims.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed May 16, 2018 2:04 pm

How did that line from The West Wing go? "They don't actually care about Israel; they just need someone to keep the lights on until Armageddon."

Mongrel wrote:

But remember, kids: it's the atheists and liberals and abortionists who are obsessed with and worship death.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Oh and besides journalists, the IDF is also deliberately shooting International and Palestinian volunteer medics.

I suppose if you're going to violate the Geneva Conventions might as well violate the biggest and oldest one of them all... But hey! If it's not technically a war, it's not technically a war crime, right?!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 18, 2018 1:15 am

Wait wait wait... so, this afternoon Trump directly threatened to overthrow Kim Jong Um?!

UH. UM.