Our Collapsing Civilization

Blossom

Re: Our Collapsing Civilization

Postby Blossom » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:16 am

Destynova wrote:
Friday wrote:Yeah, I know that prisons are slavery. There's a reason I've been banging on about prisons for the better part of my adult life.

When the year 2200 rolls around, and people look back at what we did, the same way we look back at what X time period did, and talk about how insanely bad whatever they did was and how widely accepted it was, what people in 2200 will say about us is "Prisons."

And yes, Prisons are more insane than anything else we are doing systemically right now. Possibly even if you combine several of the other things we are doing systemically right now.

Wanna make a rape joke? You can't put that shit on TV. Unless it's in prison.

SCP Foundation would be a better place, at least they have a thing against unnecessary cruelty.

... what?

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:24 am

He's referring to a creepypasta site called SCP Foundation, which has the Foundation, an entity/scientific institution that contains fucked up/weird/dangerous/supernatural shit. (SCP stands for "Secure, Contain, Protect").

In the fictional world of the Foundation, they do tests on some SCPs using what they call "D-Class" which are basically people in prison convicted of really bad/violent crimes. Stuff like "Go into this portal to hell and report back what you see/find so that we can better understand how to deal with it."

The point Desty was making (I presume) is that even in such a fucked up fiction with creepy horror monsters and the ruthless scientists who contain them, the Foundation has a literal ethics board and rules dictating what you can and cannot do to the D-Class, and no such rules exist in real life.

As far as "is this site worth reading?" goes, keep in mind that it's open to anyone to edit/add to (though they have a lot of rules) and so it follows the 90% of everything is crap rule. I personally have some favorites but admit that most of it is garbage. It's also a lot different now than it used to be when it first launched, and the focus has changed from "creep out the reader" to more of a "be as weird/original as possible", though that was always a part of it.

Oh, and don't read the site at night, unless you're one of those people who are immune to looking at a creepy image and then reading about how it slowly kills you in your dreams or whatever.

Also Zara made some and they're awesome.

kick a dog

zero points
ImageImageImage

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:58 pm

I'm a bit familiar with the SCP Foundation, it just seemed like a total non sequitur.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:13 pm

i swear to god if i get nuked because none of you americans could do a simple deposing of a president i will be extremely angry

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:09 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:48 am

Whenever I talk about the future of humanity like for example

"Well, we're going to have a water crisis in 30-40 years unless we invest heavily in desalination or some new tech emerges to help/solve, assuming of course that we don't get nuked by Trump before"

"Humanity might one day explore the stars and instead of adapting the worlds by terraforming them, wouldn't it be cool if we could adapt ourselves with genetic manipulation to the worlds, assuming of course that we don't get nuked by Trump before"

and people are always like Friday you always say the Trump thing but you could just say it at any time with any President really

No

No I couldn't
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:22 am

Stross has a piece analyzing the dangers of AIs by examining the dangerous AIs we invented back in the 16th century, corporations.

Good discussion in the comments.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:27 pm

That's a really good one. He's managed to put together a lot of my fragmented thoughts on AI and corporations into a unified theory that holds up very well.

And is absolutely terrifying. Imagine the idea that human-destroying AIs aren't an imminent danger - they've been here already for three hundred years, and we have not been winning that conflict.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:32 pm

It went through. Kentucky is now the first state to require people work to receive Medicare. The poor will also be required to pay long-term premiums.

It seems there are indeed Prisons and Workhouses.

EDIT: More details:

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:14 pm

I guess after years of hearing critics describing Israel's policies as "Israeli Apartheid", they figured the best move was hey what the hell, let's just make that the legal truth then.

:/

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 10, 2018 8:54 pm

News Star: Louisiana is sending out 30,000 eviction notices to NURSING HOME RESIDENTS this week

Because, of course, they're also being thrown off Medicare. And the Louisiana government is also closing a bunch of nursing homes and hospitals.

Some days, the Republicans can make a body feel like even Syria is more civilized than the USA.

François

Postby François » Thu May 10, 2018 10:39 pm

You know how in Civilization games you've got these barbarian units that spawn out of nowhere under the fog of war and exist only to break your shit and make your life miserable? I'm pretty sure these guys are running vast swathes of the US by now.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 15, 2018 12:03 pm

François wrote:You know how in Civilization games you've got these barbarian units that spawn out of nowhere under the fog of war and exist only to break your shit and make your life miserable? I'm pretty sure these guys are running vast swathes of the US by now.

Man, this only just occurred to me: Red State.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue May 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Jesus fucking Christ the news is ever cheery these days, isn't it.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue May 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Well see when Trump called all Mexicans rapists he misspoke, he meant to say that all the Mexicans being sent would be raped
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue May 15, 2018 11:57 pm

"We are going to build a wall, and Mexico is going to rape it. Wait, what did I just say? Sorry, my mistake. I meant to say, we are going to rape this wall, and Mexico is a rapist. No wait. Raping? Grab em right in the rapey."
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 16, 2018 2:20 am

I mean, we're at the point where there are actual children-only concentration camps and most people are like "Ho hum, whatever mister overreaction." and I'm just like...

What the fuck am I even supposed to say.

CRAZY PILLS.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 16, 2018 2:22 am

Imagine a world where WWII was fought but turned out to be completely and totally pointless.

Is that the timeline we're in?

François

Postby François » Wed May 16, 2018 7:18 am

At least we're not oppressing minorities while speaking German!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 16, 2018 9:21 am

Yeah, speaking German always makes you sound evil.