Rooty-tooty point and shootys

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Rooty-tooty point and shootys

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Well, the fact that school shootings are now attracting mentally unstable and openly armed rubberneckers is somewhat noteworthy.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri May 18, 2018 6:00 pm

I can't wait until the Nazis show up!
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 18, 2018 6:57 pm

This was the Chimp-in-Chief's "response" to the shooting, by the way:

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri May 18, 2018 8:15 pm

See you next year 6 months several months months month several weeks!
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri May 18, 2018 8:16 pm

"School shootings growing by 20% per month, by end of year, school shootings will consume 0.5% of world's bullets"
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 18, 2018 8:32 pm

Friday wrote:See you next year 6 months several months months month several weeks!

Weeks? Are we in for a dry spell?

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun May 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Mongrel wrote:
Friday wrote:See you next year 6 months several months months month several weeks!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that school shootings will probably decrease between the months of June and August, yes.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun May 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Thad wrote:
Mongrel wrote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that school shootings will probably decrease between the months of June and August, yes.

I dunno, when does your average college summer session start?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon May 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Chicago "gun share program" art installation about how easy it is to get a gun in America.

I've never bought a gun, but I understand you need to sign more paperwork to buy a house or pseudoephedrine. Also, I wonder how soon it'll be until someone seriously considers a gun share program.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon May 21, 2018 7:01 pm

Yoji wrote:Chicago "gun share program" art installation about how easy it is to get a gun in America.

I've never bought a gun, but I understand you need to sign more paperwork to buy a house or pseudoephedrine. Also, I wonder how soon it'll be until someone seriously considers a gun share program.

I believe that sharing guns as a business would require the same amount of background checking as buying guns, so it would be a non-starter. Some states allow gun sharing on a personal level with relative ease; in New York I believe it would involve a background check each time the guns changed who was in possession of the gun whether or not it's a business, assuming everyone is following the law. I can let someone shoot my rifles, but I would have to be there as the owner of the guns (not that anyone checks, or even can check with rifles)

malikial

Postby malikial » Tue May 22, 2018 11:23 pm

If I was to buy a gun from a store like I always did there is actually 3 forms, a background check and a 24 hour wait period for a handgun in my state. I'd pass it all so it wouldn't be a hassle for me. On the other hand I could also go to a few of the people I know with... extra guns laying around... and pick up a random pistol for like 100 bucks and the promise not to shoot anyone and as long as they write out a receipt and keep a copy they're not legally liable for anything I do with said pistol. That is the problem I have with private owner sales. It's one of the reasons I got rid of all my firearms a few years ago. Its insanely easy to get a gun if you know people who own them.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:48 pm

Preliminary reports of a mass shooting at Madden video game competition in Florida.

What the fuck.

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:51 pm

Mongrel wrote:Preliminary reports of a mass shooting at Madden video game competition in Florida.

What the fuck.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/26/us/jacksonville-madden-shooting/index.html

There were Twitch clips of the moment it started since it was being streamed, but they are all getting taken down rapidly for good reason.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:40 pm

They're also going up as fast as they're being taken down.

You can see a laser dot on the chest of one of the players on stream right before the player camera cuts out. The audio alone is disturbing as it is.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:01 pm

Extremely disturbing content.. I mostly watch and listen to these things now to make sure I don't normalize these incidents.

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:28 am

Mass murder at places with a hundred live internet streams going out is going to be a new thing, isn't it? I'm sort of embarrassed that this surprises me. Maybe I should stop having hope about people.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:04 pm

mharr wrote:Mass murder at places with a hundred live internet streams going out is going to be a new thing, isn't it?

This was one of the first things that crossed my mind. The media bonanza of live broadcast killings is something modern mass killers have always been attracted to.

Live TV is typically on a delay mainly to bleep cursing or hide goofs, but also to avoid exactly this sort of situation (which has happened a handful of times in the past). So even if a person somehow broke through the security of a conventional studio, the broadcaster can still cut the feed - though there have been some very rare exceptions in spite of this, notably the reporter killed on live TV in 2015. So while many mass killers crave the attention a live TV shooting spree brings them, it's very tough, if not impossible to carry out.

But Twitch? There's thousands of Twitch streams and almost all of them are amateur or semi-amateur productions which aren't in studios or other more secure locations. And they're almost never on a delay (apart from just plain old lag, I've never heard of it and don't even know if Twitch supports it mechanically). This opens the window again.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:08 pm

Cait

Postby Cait » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:36 pm

Mongrel wrote:
mharr wrote:Mass murder at places with a hundred live internet streams going out is going to be a new thing, isn't it?

This was one of the first things that crossed my mind. The media bonanza of live broadcast killings is something modern mass killers have always been attracted to.

Live TV is typically on a delay mainly to bleep cursing or hide goofs, but also to avoid exactly this sort of situation (which has happened a handful of times in the past). So even if a person somehow broke through the security of a conventional studio, the broadcaster can still cut the feed - though there have been some very rare exceptions in spite of this, notably the reporter killed on live TV in 2015. So while many mass killers crave the attention a live TV shooting spree brings them, it's very tough, if not impossible to carry out.

But Twitch? There's thousands of Twitch streams and almost all of them are amateur or semi-amateur productions which aren't in studios or other more secure locations. And they're almost never on a delay (apart from just plain old lag, I've never heard of it and don't even know if Twitch supports it mechanically). This opens the window again.

Twitch allows you to add mechanical delay, a number of streamers intentionally use it so people can't see where they are in a game, or what cards they have in their hand, et cetera. But streamers that engage with their chat definitely try to minimize delay.

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:27 pm

The delay at a live event is basically moot, from a content point of view, but in terms of cutting the stream before it records an atrocity there's no remote booth that can hit the kill switch. Production is on site and under a table by that point.