Let's play Dragon Warrior II: Warrior Hardier!

Friday

Re: Let's play Dragon Warrior II: Warrior Hardier!

Postby Friday » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Fun fact: Tadpole villager lady is the Puff Puff girl.

They censored her for the NA release, but try going to talk to her when the Princess is dead. They retained her alternate text.

yes i only know this because i watched a video detailing every instance of Puff Puff in Dragon Quest

(it's in DQ1 as well)
ImageImageImage

Rico

Postby Rico » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:48 am

François

Postby François » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:00 am

We don't get Puff Puff, and we don't get churches?

Neither the serene ecstasy of heaven nor the reckless revelry of hell, but in eternal limbo are we.

François

Postby François » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:17 am

So, the Northern Dragon's Horn.

It's very similar to the southern one, with a bunch of identical empty floors leading to a balcony to jump off of. The only difference is in how it's not hollow, so it's a much shorter climb.

Oooh, there's a monolith in the northwest here. We could probably sail to it, but I want to map out the region on foot.

This is a recipe for disaster; we do not want to be put to sleep while a pair of Demighosts cut us into ribbons. Magic Ants have no resistance to magic damage or Stopspell though, so it's worth putting both Glynn and Gwen to work neutralizing them. Gwen levels from this battle, earning 1 Strength, 3 Agility, 5 HP and 6 MP. Not bad!

That was shorter than I expected.

Oh, that's a travel gate behind a golden door; nothing for us here yet.

Image: Yeah, I figured.

We leave for Lianport again.

Huh, Metal Slimes show up here too. It's nice to see they're no longer tucked away in one annoyingly remote corner of world.

Not that it does us any good.

We rest up at the inn, but before we leave, we get one Dragon's Bane for Gwen.

It's taking up a valuable inventory spot, but I'm sure making her vastly more resistant to Sleep and Stopspell will pay dividends. I'm tempted to get one for Glynn as well, but it's still a chunk of change, and being silenced is not quite as devastating for him as it is for Gwen.

Music: Riding the waves

Image: Alright, Captain Glynn, take us west!
Image: Aye aye!

The world map wraps around west-east as well as north-south, so we end up on Midenhall's eastern coast without incident. We couldn't cross it through this river if we wanted to though, as bridges count as walkable terrain and cause us to disembark.

Image: Color me impressed, Glynn. You got us all the way here in one piece!
Image: Impressed enough to call me captain?
Image: Ehhh... Maybe a fifth of the way there.

Music: Prophecy

Image: The Eye of...?
Image: Who's Malroth?
Image: Whoever it is, we definitely don't have their eye. Or... Have you guys been collecting eyes?
Image: Not me. Glynn?
Image: Perish the thought!
Image: Once thou hast the Moon Fragment thou may enter the island cave where the Eye of Malroth is kept in darkness.
Image: That sounds like bad mojo to me.
Image: I agree. We should leave such an ominous artifact well enough alone.
Image: Either way, thank you for the information, my good man.

Image: Alright then. Care to take us to Alefgard, Captain?
Image: Anytime!

We fight our first battle at sea within sight of the Midenhall coast! Three Magidrakees are nothing to worry about, but I'm sure we'll meet tougher creatures before long.

Ah, right, we saw those in the Dragon's Horn, in smaller numbers.

Image: So, this is Alefgard. If I remember my castle's maps correctly, this would be the region of Hauksness.
Image: Better take us to land, then.
Image: Actually, there's no reason I couldn't sail us right around the south and straight up to Tantegel.
Image: The old capital? That's a halfway decent idea.
Image: Fair enough. Captain, make it so!

Ah, this would be where Metal Slimes used to hang out. Memories!

Image: That's the bridge the to Cantlin area. The river to Tantegel should be a bit east of here.

This would be the swamp where we found Erdrick's Token, way back when.

Image: It's... smaller than I remember.

The scale of DW2's overworld map is much larger than DW1's, so Alefgard definitely looks smaller here, and a lot of the details are gone. But it's still recognizable!

Sea Slugs are comparable to Medusa Balls in stats, if a little more fragile. They come with a smorgasboard of abilities, though. They can call for help, they have a poisonous attack, they can roll for crits, they can breathe sleeping gas, and getting hit by them has a chance to cause "fainting", making you lose your next turn. They're also nearly immune to Sleep, but only slightly resistant to spell damage and Surround.

Image: This must be the Isle of Dragons! There's the Rainbow Bridge in the east, and on that peak there...
Image: Charlock.
Image: I'm surprised it's still standing.
Image: It should be a hollow shell by now, but...
Image: Do you think Hargon could have set up shop in there?
Image: Maybe, if he can tolerate the Dragonlord's old failure stank. If I was an evil wizard, I'd prefer to build my own dark fortress.

Men O' War have unremarkable stats and are weak to magic across the board, but they do have a "fainting" attack, and often come in large numbers. Not this time, though!

As soon as we set foot on this ancestral soil...

Music: Kingdom of Alefgard

This is such a cool touch.

Image: Oh! Um... Thank you.
Image: She's certainly a lovely young woman.
Image: I don't disagree, but... come on.

Image: Is that so?
Image: Yeah, that's us.
Image: Pleased to meet you!
Image: Ah! So it was true. Thou art truly welcome.

With a flash of the screen, this old man replenishes of MP for free. Glorious! Nostalgic!

Hmm, they've replaced the eastern portion of the castle with a House of Healing.

Image: Good riddance, it was death traps and key merchants.

Image: Um, it's "descendants".

Oh, this dude is performing kingly duties in the true king's absense; he'll also add to the Imperial Scrolls of Honor.

Image: Although there is no king here, I can save thy deeds.

Image: Oh we have indeed! Do you have any information to share?
Image: The pirate ship sank in the wide seas of the north.
Image: Yes, we... Yes. Alright then. Thank you.

If we say we haven't heard, he just tells us to speak to a merchantman in Lianport.

Welp, good to know there's no Red Key to find.

Image: Hi. So, we're descendants of Erdrick. What can you tell us about the king's disappearance?
Image: ...
Image: Well that's one mystery off the list.
Image: One can hardly blame the man, I suppose.
Image: I'll blame him all I want! He's deserting his people!
Image: Ah... that's true.

Tantegel looks small, but that's because they've squeezed in Brecconary in the same map.

I suspect this man will uncurse us for free, saving us the HoH's fee.

Image: Eh, if you say so.

Ha, the inn is 2 gold per person, so if you come in with your full party, it's the same price as one room here used to cost in DW1.

Pretty standard item store.

The old equipment shop has an upgraded inventory, though!

Image: If that's what this place sold in my time, I would have had to go through half my quest bare-handed.

The Giant Hammer and Iron Helmet can only be equipped by the Prince of Midenhall. The former only offers a 5 point increase over the Broad Sword, so I'm in no hurry to drop 4k on it. The Iron Helmet has only 6 defense, but it would take up our empty helmet slot, so we'll probably want it sooner or later.

Image: ...really?
Image: Good grief, Lorik's dick genes are alive and well. I'm beginning to think we never should have returned to Alefgard.

Image: I'm not convinced this'll lead to anything special... but how about we walk in our ancestor's footsteps for a bit?
Image: Well, this is a land rich with history. I'm for it.
Image: Lead the way then, and tempt not the Fates!

Aw heck, Mud Men. If you've followed my DW1 LP, you may remember I've said that no monsters in Alefgard could drain your MP. That was then, this is now: Mud Men can "dance a strange jig", reducing one target's MP by a serious chunk. The first one to do this here costs Gwen 16 MP!

They're immune to Sleep, and Surround doesn't stop them from dancing, but they are fairly weak to spell damage. Other than that, they're unremarkably strong, with very low defense. Zed can already one-shot them, and Glynn and Gwen can take one down in one turn if they work together.

The cave containing Erdrick's tablet is gone.

This used to be Garinham, now it's nothing. I suspect the bulk of Alefgard's towns are gone on account of memory constraints, but maybe populating them with NPCs and stores would have been far beyond the game's scope. If you have to choose, better make new towns than to spiff up old ones.

Magic Baboons are very strong, but despite their name, their only special ability is calling for help, and they're fairly weak to all spells. Gwen can wipe out all of the Magidrakees here with Infernos, so while things could get out of hand, this is not an extraordinarily difficult fight.

Enchanters have unremarkable stats, but they come with a variety of spells: Stopspell, Firebal, Sleep and Increase. The latter increases the defense power of the entire enemy party by a certain percentage. They're fairly resistant to Sleep, but vulnerable to all other magic. They also have a chance to drop Dragon's Bane, easily one of the most useful and valuable monster treasures.

One Enchanter is no immense threat, but they can turn large battles into deadly, resource-consuming slogs.

...!

...aw. Just cash this time. Oh well.

Image: That's the old Wolflord country!

Unsurprisingly, Hauksness was also wiped off the map.

Oof, more Gremlins.

Poison Lilies are about as strong as Magic Baboons, and only slightly resistant to spells. They of course have a poisonous attack, but also come with the ability to "exhale a blast of poisonous breath" that does no damage but has a chance to poison our entire party.

And this used to be Cantlin. That's all for Alefgard's western half. We start to return to Tantegel on foot, but repeated Antidote casts and Mud Man jigs reduce our MP to dangerous levels, and Glynn warps us back before anything tragic happens. We save and spend the night, then head northeast.

Oh that's adorable.

This used to be Kol. We fight a Big Rat and a Ghost Mouse here, so the area must share an encounter zone with the nearby Cannock/Leftwyne region.

Image: We could just get the ship, you know.
Image: Nah, let's do it old school for now.
Image: Oh joy.

Image: I will always be proud to have financed clearing the tunnel to Rimuldar. There won't ever be another princess trapped in there again!

Rimuldar is also gone. It looks like searching the trees at the center of the lake might turn up something, but it does not.

Oh dang! The magic temple of the southern isles is still standing!

Image: Gah, watch out for this bozo.
Image: At least I'm not the only one he serves this nonsense to.
Image: Now look here, kind sir-
Image: W-what!?
Image: Ugh, let's go. It's not like we need the Rainbow Drop.
Image: Eh, bah.

There's a travel gate in here though, that's new.

Huh! The flame here is just a fire, not a spirit. Let's see where we ended up.

Image: Welp, this is a bust. You guys ever heard of an island like this?
Image: Nope.
Image: Can't say that I have.
Image: Alright then, let's try another gate. Maybe we'll get to continue our Useless Island Adventure!

I remember there being small shrines like these all over the world. The Return spell only takes you to where you last saved, but these can actually be pretty good for quick travel if you know where you're going.

Image: Aw, crap.
Image: I can imagine errors in judgement on our part leading to all sorts of unpleasant misunderstandings.
Image: Better keep our wits about ourselves before casting accusations.
Image: Thou will not be deceived if thou hast the gift of Rubiss.
Image: We better find out more about this Rubiss fellow, then.

Image: Have you-
Image: Still no, Zed.
Image: I've heard about a continent surrounded by mountains somewhere, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

Yikes, these monsters are much stronger than what we've been up against so far. We might be in over our heads.

Basilisks are nearly twice as powerful as Magic Baboons, though their defense is unremarkable. Their only specialty is a poison attack, and they're not very resistant to magic, especially to spell damage.

Titan Trees are a touch weaker, if slightly more resistant to non-damage spells, but they know the strange jig and that's always devastating.

Image: Whew, that was something else.
Image: We can handle these creatures, but I'm inclined to turn back for now.
Image: Right, we can always come back later. We were busy in Alefgard anyway.

Ah, this is the Lianport monolith. Nothing for us here right now.

No idea where this is either. This network of transport gates being largely blocked off by golden doors seems to be a recurring theme.

Yup. That appears to be all we can reach for now.

Let's head back to Alefgard.

...holy shit. This fight is incredibly dangerous. Due to the combat system's quirks, we can't focus our blows on one Slime at a time, and all the while they'll be peppering us with Sleep and Firebal. But... What if we can take out one or two? We gotta try!

Nope, they all ran away after a few turns of dealing copious damage to everyone. Oh well.

Saber Tigers can attack twice and crit, just like Demighosts, but their Strength is much higher. They have some magic resistance across the board but it's not so high as to make it not worth it to cast spells at them.

Glynn levels up from that fight, for 3 Strength, 5 Agility, 5 HP, 3 MP, and a new spell: Healmore! His healing is finally catching up to Gwen's. Gwen herself follows suit, for 1 Strength, 5 Agility, 6 HP, 3 MP, and a spell of her own.

Our version of Defence attempts to reduce enemy defense power by a random percentage for 2 MP, and further casts will stack the debuff. It tends to not be as useful as Sleep, Stopspell or Surround, but it always targets the entire enemy party regardless of grouping, and it can definitely accelerate tough fights.

Image: So, are you guys up to-
Image: Nope.
Image: Aw, come on.
Image: I know it's best to make sure Charlock is unoccupied. But it doesn't make sense to assault it now, from here.
Image: We could feasibly cross the river from Tantegel and enter the fortress with our resources intact.
Image: Look who's making sense today!
Image: Okay, you're right, we're not actually tourists, we don't need to follow an itinerary to the letter. Take us back, Glynn.

Image: Here's to hoping the place is still empty.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:31 am

The first thread got me to fire up Dragon Warrior 3 and play through it in ... well, a couple of days. I tell, binding left and right shoulder buttons to increase and decrease emulation speed definitely is a lifesaver for an NES RPG. But now I've got an itch to play 2 again, so I'm doing that, because it's a lot less well-tread for me.

The Door command in 1 was fuckin' stupid, but in this? With three keys you need to be carrying around all the time? Sure coulda used it.

François

Postby François » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Yeah, it's sub-optimal at best. There really should have been a sort of key ring item that told you what's on it when you try to USE it.

François

Postby François » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:28 pm

As soon as we set foot in Charlock, we find ourselves in an underground tunnel.

Image: Hmm. Someone must have razed the ground floor at some point. I can hardly blame them.

Our first fight is against a lone Basilisk, just like the one we saw on that faraway island we could reach from a travel gate. It's really not difficult on its own, and winning earns Zed level 16, for 3 Strength, 6 Agility, and 2 HP.

The first level is straightforward; it's in fact the first basement of the secret passage behind the Dragonlord's decoy throne.

Gorgons have low Strength and aren't too menacing by themselves, but they have a ludicrous 120 defense power and know Surround, Increase, Defence and Sleep. They're moderately resistant to spell damage, Stopspell and Surround, but weak to Sleep and completely vulnerable to Gwen's Defence casts.

Image: Hey, isn't that that the chest I found Erdrick's Sword in? I can't imagine there's anything valuable left in this place.

More Mummy Men try to stop us again, as well as Gremlins. It feels like the difficulty's just right at the moment. Victory comes at MP expense, but it's not so hard that I feel like we're just barely hanging on.

Okay, this floor used to be a bit different, if I recall. Let's try the stairs in the northeast first.

Oh, that's new. Dragon Flies are fairly strong, but not quite as strong as Basilisks, and have high HP despite a low defense. They're immune to Sleep, and no resistance to spell damage or Surround. Their only quirk is a standard flame breath attack, though they also have a chance to drop Dragon's Bane.

Yeah, this is new for sure. Someone's been remodelling.

Back in somewhat familiar territory. This up staircase is the one that used to lead to the Sword, let's check it out.

Whew. The path is similar enough to make me feel like I know what I'm doing, but different enough make me doubt every step. This ought to be good, though.

Image: What. How.
Image: Hooooooly crap guys. Look at this beauty!
Image: I... Wh... Who the heck put it back there?
Image: I don't know much about weapons, but I know I like this.
Image: I've seen illustrations of this sword, it used to be Erdrick's!
Image: Well, it's mine now. Thanks, pops, wherever you are.

Erdrick's Sword has 10 more attack power than the Broad Sword Zed bought in Hamlin. Man I'm glad I didn't grind 4k for that hammer in Brecconary.

Anyway, good find, but we're not done yet.

Let's take that way down in the west here.

And here's that U-shaped floor. We should be almost at the bottom by now.

Image: Okay what the HELL.

Hmm, there's a golden door up there. Let's go around.

Image: Guys. That's the Dragonlord.
Image: ...!
Image: Weird guy, check. Dorky haircut, check.
Image: What do we do?
Image: Is that even a question? One descendant of Erdrick was enough to take him down last time. There are three of us.
Image: I... Uh...
Image: Good enough for me, let's go.

Image: He had a kid!? How did we miss that?
Image: And now I'm wondering about his grandmother. Good grief.
Image: That's debatable, but where are you going with this?
Image: Eesh.
Image: Okay, give us a moment. Guys, a word?
Image: Do we have a common enemy with the Dragonlord?
Image: It... It would appear so.
Image: This is crazy. What do I even tell this chump?
Image: We have to kill him.
Image: Well, yeah, but...
Image: Gwen, didn't you say earlier that we should search for allies?
Image: This is the Dragonlord, Glynn.
Image: He has a point, though.
Image: Like it or not, he is among the powers of this world, and he offers assistance.
Image: And as far as we know, he hasn't killed anyone's father yet.
Image: That is low.
Image: Heck, our ancestor killed his grandpa, and he's still offering to cooperate. He has more beef with us than we have with him.
Image: Your mind's made up, isn't it?
Image: Yeah... Yeah, I guess it is. Look, he's only asking us to do something we were going to do anyway, right? It's not like he's offering us half the world or something. I know a bad bargain when I see one.
Image: I'm sorry, Gwen, I'm with Zed on this.
Image: ...fine. I won't stop you, but I hope I never have to say "I told you so".
Image: Thank you. Okay, Dragonlord, we'll play along.
Image: Hmm. Alright, we might just do that, then. We appreciate your counsel.
Image: Eugh.

If we had refused...

We literally could not fight this new Dragonlord even if we wanted to.

Image: We've heard about Rubiss before, it was something about breaking Hargon's illusions. But what are these crests he was talking about?
Image: I can't recall any mention of such things in any text I've ever been through. I mean, I know what a family crest is, but in this context I haven't the faintest. Gwen?
Image: Neither have I. This might be a red herring.
Image: Either way, we better keep our eyes open. Glynn, take us out of here, will ya?

We return to Tantegel and spend a night at the inn. The next day, we sell Zed's old Broad Sword and find ourselves with enough money to buy him an Iron Helmet, but just short of the 2500 for a Wizard's Wand.

Hmm. There are still a few passages in Charlock we haven't seen, so I'm going to take a bit of time to clear it out and scrape up the necessary cash.

Welp, turns out we had it cleared after all. "I" leads to the lower floors, while "H" leads to Erdrick's Sword.

And, uh, in retrospect, it's clear that the small area I put in the upper left corner of the second floor is meant to be in the upper left corner of the first floor instead, but you get the picture.

We also pick up that Wand. I'll keep Gwen's Magic Knife equipped since it's a bit stronger, but she'll mostly be shooting fire at anything not too resistant to magic damage for the foreseeable future. Had we infinite money it would not be a completely terrible idea to get one for Glynn as well, but seeing as he's still fairly effective with his Iron Spear, it wouldn't be a great use of my time to grind for it.

Image: So, where to next?
Image: There are the lands to the south of Moonbrooke and that tower to the west of my castle. We could also try to find this Rubiss.
Image: Or we could make another attempt at that strange island on the other side of the travel gates. If we sail to the shrine here in Alefgard instead of hiking to it, we might be able to push further than last time.
Image: Hmm. Alright, sure, we could finish what we started.
Image: Or we could search for the Relent-
Image: It's your turn to be outvoted, captain. The shrine it is.
Image: Well, you called me captain, I won't argue with that.
Image: Uh... I didn't even realize I-
Image: That's even more flattering! Double speed!
Image: You can't "double speed" the wind, Glynn.

Oh dang, just straight up Orcs. Well then. They're a bit stronger than Basilisks, with a ton of HP but relatively low defense, and very slight magic resistance across the board, with Sleep a bit less likely to land than anything else. That's about it, they have no special moves of any kind. The Clothes Hiding evasion effect triggers a lot in this fight, which is good because every monster here can kill Glynn or Gwen in 3 to 4 hits.

Glynn gets himself to level 15 soon afterwards, for 4 Strength, 4 HP, and 2 MP.

Whuh-oh, looks like our luck ran out. There's no way Zed can continue here on his own. We run and use a pair of Wings.

We've made enough money off Basilisks and Orcs to revive everyone, fortunately.

Image: I'm thinking we need to brush up on our technique before we try that one again.
Image: We could hone our skills against nautical monsters on the high seas!
Image: Alright, you know what? Let's do it.
Image: Yeah, sure. Sail us wherever you like, man. Let's look for that treasure, even. Who knows, it might be useful.
Image: You guys are the best!

Image: See, we're traveling north from Lianport because the man who mentioned the-
Image: I trust you, just please spare me the details.

Image: This is awesome!
Image: It's getting awfully cold, though.
Image: At least one of us having a good time.

Image: Captain, what's that?
Image: What's what? Where?
Image: To the right!
Image: I can't hear you!
Image: TO THE RIGHT!
Image: I still can't-
Image: Starboard, Glynn. He means starboard.
Image: It's just a reef, Zed.
Image: So, a reef in chill waters, eh?
Image: That's correct.
Image: It would be real easy for a careless captain to ram right into that thing.
Image: Indeed. As you see, I'm giving it wide berth.
Image: Glynn, we're looking for the Relentless.
Image: The pirate ship that sank.
Image: In chill waters.
Image: Not one word.
Image: I guess someone will have to d-
Image: Not it.
Image: ...aw come on.

The "Tresures". Sure. I don't know how that one slipped through. If we try to use them...

Image: Good work from a good crew. Let's deliver the booty, shall we?
Image: Aye aye, captain!
Image: I will never be warm again.

The reef that sunk the Relentless is due north of Lianport, though it's technically on the southern edge of the overall world map.

We can't enter the Lianport harbor directly from our ship, but if we enter town on foot, it magically teleports to the dock regardless of where we left it.

Image: Many thanks.

Trying to sell the "Tresures" at an item shop results in the merchant telling us "Sorry, friend, but I cannot buy that." Delivering it to the man who told us about it is our only option.

Image: All in a day's work for the greatest seafarer in the world, my good fellow.
Image: ...hmm. Uh... Thanks?
Image: Good thing we were in it for the joy of the adventure, eh?

Image: Can either of you play this thing, at least?
Image: Allow me.

Image: Well, it's been a while.
Image: For an Echoing Flute, it doesn't echo very much. Are you certain you're doing it right?
Image: I'm not baking a soufflé here, Glynn. It's a flute.
Image: Oh well.
Image: You know, I've been thinking-
Image: Let me guess, it involves sailing.
Image: It does, but hear me out. We've heard about this Rubiss fellow twice now, from very different sources. If he truly is somewhere in the seas south of Midenhall, it could be worth it to seek him out.
Image: We don't have whatever those crests are, though.
Image: If Rubiss is somehow connected to the crests...
Image: ...he may be the best person to ask.
Image: Alright, that's no worse an idea than anything else we've tried so far.

We sail through the Horns once more, reach the Midenhall region, then go around the southern capes. A particularly tough fight against Sea Slugs and Medusa Balls earns Gwen level 11, for 1 Agility, 2 HP, and 6 MP. The next battle gets Zed to level 17, for 3 Strength, 2 Agility and 5 HP. We rest and save at the castle, then follow the coast south as long as there is a coast, heading straight south once land runs out.

Image: Monolith on starboard, captain!

Image: Okay, this is weird.
Image: It's powerful magic is what it is.

We've taken a staircase down to get here, which means we're underwater. But there are no walls holding back the sea.

Image: I'm not afraid of much but this is getting spooky.
Image: It's a little late to doubt the Dragonlord's good faith, isn't it?
Image: If this place is going to kill us, it seems like too elaborate a trap.

Image: I do believe we are standing at the bottom of the sea.
Image: I'm going to pretend we're not, okay?

Image: Err... Master Rubiss?

Silence.

Image: This might not be the place.
Image: It has to be.
Image: But there's nothing here.
Image: We... we are missing the crests.
Image: WHAT ARE THESE CRESTS? ANSWER ME! ARE YOU A FRIEND OF HARGON'S? IS THAT IT?
Image: Zed, let's go.
Image: Come on.
Image: ...fine.

Image: That was a long way to go for such a big load of nothing.
Image: You know, these seas are largely uncharted, at least as far as anyone in Torland is aware. Maybe the village in your travel door is nearby.
Image: Seems like slim odds to me. The ocean's real big, if you hadn't noticed.
Image: Even if we find nothing at all, it is of some help to know where one's foe is not. It would not be a completely wasted trip.
Image: Yeah, okay, maybe. I'm leaving it to you, captain.
Image: Glynn, how about you take us further south? On the off chance that monolith wasn't Rubiss' home, well...
Image: I got you. South it is.

Image: This is definitely not nothing.

Image: Look! There! Through the reefs!
Image: Already on it!

Image: Well I'll be.
Image: You know, this might be the first time any of us meet royalty we're not related to, so you better be on your best behavior!
Image: But of course.
Image: I'm always on my best behavior.
Image: Oh dear.

This is unusual; instead of finding ourselves in a courtyard on the south side of the map, we're immediately on the inside, apparently from a gate in the southeastern turret.

Image: Oooooh I like the sound of that.
Image: Oh dear!
Image: What?
Image: Zed, maybe we could gather some more information before running headlong into a bloodsport arena.
Image: I'm quite in favor of gathering information, yes.
Image: But-
Image: Don't make me turn you into a toad!
Image: Ha, fine.

Huh. Let's check out that eastern exit first.

We can't actually go through here, it must be a locked door only visible from the outside.

Yeah, the Silver Key doesn't work. Let's try the travel door then.

Same deal for the empty space in the east here. This is a dead-end for now.

Image: Alright, we tried it your way.
Image: Fair enough.

Whew, we're not thrown into an immediate battle situation, fortunately.

Image: But I like my stuff!

Image: Oh I like how this story ends.
Image: They say that in its hold was the Echoing Flute.
Image: Not exactly, but... close enough for our purposes, I suppose.
Image: Of course the ancient legend stops just before letting us know what it does.

Image: What were you saying, Zed?
Image: Complaining gets results!
Image: On an island, in a tower, in a chamber remote, play it and listen, a wise man once wrote. For when the sound echoes, there shall thou find, a crest of great power to aid thee in time.
Image: The flute is connected to the crests!?
Image: I can't believe it! This must be fate!
Image: ...wait a minute...

Image: It echoed!
Image: Could there really be a crest here?
Image: There must be! Let's turn this place inside out!
Image: Best behavior, Zed!
Image: I promise I'll be on my best behavior as I turn this place inside out. Come on!

Image: I was told that it was kept in a shop that sells armor.
Image: Yes, that is often where armor is kept.

Ooh, we've two new items of interest. The Magic Armor is similar to how it was in DW1, in that it has the same defensive power as Full Plate. However, its only special effect this time around is to reduce incoming spell damage (but not breath damage) by 25%. That said, the Prince of Cannock can actually equip it. We'll want one for Glynn sooner or later, but it might not be worth the expense for Zed unless we end up with tons of money that we can't put to better use.

As for the Dragon Killer, it is 10 points stronger than the Sword of Erdrick, and that's it.

Image: ...what? Really? Huh! I guess sword smithing techniques did evolve after all.

That's quite expensive though, so we won't see it for a while.

25 gold per person? That coliseum must be real popular.

Image: What a load of crap.
Image: Actually, we are in fact looking for something, sir.
Image: I'll tell thy fortune. That which thou seeks is North!
Image: North?
Image: That's Midenhall. I know where my own castle is.
Image: He might be talking about Rubiss' sanctuary.
Image: Which we have also found. Ehh.

Image: Southern ocean, eh?
Image: We need that key, Glynn. Are you up to finding this town?
Image: If I can't find it, no one can.

Image: Are we?
Image: Sure.

Image: It is an honor, Your Majesty.
Image: The privilege is ours.
Image: Heyo.
Image: If thou entertain me, thou shall receive a valuable prize.
Image: Yup! Bring it!

The Saber Lion is the strongest single enemy we've ever faced; in fact it could have ended Zed in three hits, and I'd rather not think about how much it would have wounded the others. If the fight had gone another turn I would have had him parry while Glynn healed him. The Lion is immune to Sleep and highly resistant to damage spells, but it's very vulnerable to Defence, and Surround has a fair chance to land.

Image: Haha, it was child's play. Maybe make me fight one that's not all skin and bones next time.
Image: I shall give thee the Moon Crest.
Image: T-thank you!
Image: Thou must fight gallantly.
Image: Always.

The "Crests" section of our status screen finally comes into play, and it's certainly nice to see that these plot coupons won't take up our precious inventory space. Finding the five crests won't be enough to reach the final portion of the game, but it is definitely our main motivation for exploring the world at this moment, and the Echoing Flute will put us on the right track once we get close to one.

And now... Only four to go!

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:38 am

Made it to Rhone.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Rhone's level of bullshit cannot be overstated.

And that's coming from me, The Queen of Videogame Masochism.
ImageImageImage

François

Postby François » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:18 pm

When I was considering starting this LP series, the thought of Rhone got me this close to going "screw it, I'll just do DW4".

But I will power through... for the Internet!

François

Postby François » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:55 am

Before we start today, I'd like to mention how pleasantly surprised I am at how well the game has been flowing so far, and at how little grinding we've had to do. There has never been a spot where every path forward was blocked by enemies that outclassed us by an order of magnitude, where the only solution might have been to just take like 45 minutes out of my day to just mindlessly kill stuff while all progress is halted. In fact, I'd say that what little grinding I've done was more to earn a margin of of error than to make success possible in the first place. Heck, there's no guarantee to make it to the coliseum at this exact moment, but that Saber Lion was hard enough to make me sweat and thank my lucky stars that it didn't attack either of our squishies, but not so hard that it was anything close to a roadblock.

I suspect that'll change at some point, but I'm happy to ride that wave as long as it lasts. Heck, we haven't even seen a full party wipe since Glynn joined up; that's pretty rad.

Alright then, time to explore the seas south of Osterfair in search of the village of Zahan. I'd like to save before we leave, but the king here only bides us to fight gallantly. I bet that rube has never even heard of the Imperial Scrolls of Honor.

Hawk Men are a hint stronger than Basilisks, and they know Stopspell and Heal. They have only minimal resistance to magic, so feel free to unload with whatever seems most appropriate depending on the battle. Their item drop is the Gremlin's Tail, a cursed accessory that increases the chances of enemy Stopspell and Sleep casts will work on its wearer from 3 in 8 to 3 in 4. That's pretty awful, but it does sell for 1125 gold.

Image: Why, this island seems familiar.

Image: Ah, right, these travel doors. We've been here before.
Image: You know, I wonder if any of the locations these gates lead to have crests.
Image: Only one way to find out, I suppose.
Image: Zed, what are you doing? There's no way-
Image: Wh...
Image: It... it echoed.
Image: This makes no sense! Why would a crest be here of all places? Where would it even...
Image: We're not leaving until we find it. Hop to it, kids.

Image: Wait a minute...

Image: It wouldn't be...
Image: It is.

Image: Welp, three to go.
Image: Cousins, this is BAFFLING! How... but how? Here! I don't...
Image: Let's just be happy you managed to find the Relentless, shall we?

Man, that was a crapshoot. I haven't played this game in twenty-five years, and I have no recollection of where the crests are; I figured I'd just use the Flute once everywhere we went and maybe it'd jiggle my memory. I hope that someone somewhere tells you a clue about this place. Maybe this is the "chamber remote" that the old man's poem referred to in Osterfair, but if it is, then that's incredibly vague.

We do a quick inspection of every other location that these travel doors link to, but we get no further echoes.

Just as we return to our ship...

Sorcerers are not as strong as Basilisks, but they're actually a little hardier. They know Stopspell, Increase, and Firebane, which deals around 20-30 damage to our entire party. Their own spell resistances are minimal across the board, so it's best to disable them as soon as possible. They'll occasionally drop Clothes Hiding, which are worth a pretty penny even if you have nobody who needs a set.

Image: Looks like there might be a chain of islands in the west. Let's check it out.

Image: Is it just me or does that tree look unusual?

Image: Hello, what's this?
Image: This... this must be the legendary World Tree! Its leaves are said to bring the dead back to life!
Image: Wait, what? Let's just pick a bunch then, we'll put the House of Healing out of business!

Image: Huh?
Image: Don't get greedy, Zed, it's a bad look.
Image: You may only have one leaf at a time, that is the rule.
Image: Oh well.

The Leaf of the World Tree is the only item in the game capable of reviving a dead party member. Fortunately, if we use it up, we can come back here anytime to get another.

Image: This is definitely not Zahan. But a new town is a new town!

Image: Not... quite what I was expecting.

Image: Yes.
Image: Zed! That's very ru-
Image: Eugh!
Image: Good grief, what did that man eat?

Image: Well I sure understand why this dog is freaking out.

The flute does not echo, and this locked building is the entire extent of this town's existence. We get outta there.

Gases are a bit weaker than the new foes we've been fighting lately, but with a very high defense and fairly high HP. They know Stopspell, Sleep and Surround, and while they're immune to Sleep and Stopspell themselves, they are fairly vulnerable to Defence and spell damage.

Image: We're getting rather far from the seas south of Osterfair, aren't we?
Image: There's probably more to see further west, but you've got a point; if we want to find Zahan we had better turn around.
Image: I'm glad you seem to know what you're doing with this navigation business.
Image: There's a method to it just like there is to everything else. If the island we're looking for is in that region, I'm sure we'll find it.

Since the world's northern and southern edges are connected, it doesn't really matter what longitude we're at in this region, if we go too far south we'll reach the north coast of the Midenhall/Cannock continent, so it's pretty simple to systematically explore the entire area.

Gargoyles are a bit weaker overall than the Osterfair's Saber Lion, with Stopspell being their sole trick. They're slightly resistant to spells, but not at all to magic damage. I don't think they ever show up in groups when you encounter them at sea.

Amazingly, in the initial encouter message, the game knows to pluralize these guys as "two Vampirii"! They're about on par with the other creatures we've been fighting in these seas, if a bit less robust. They can attack twice and call for help, and are only sightly resistant to magic. It's best not to be miserly with your MP against them, because that's definitely a fight that can get out of hand if you don't take it seriously.

...!

Image: Zed! Zed! Is this the place?
Image: ...huh? Wha... yeah! Yeah it is! Holy crap Glynn you've found it!

Man that took a long time, and our MP's getting low, but hey, we made a couple thousand gold off sea monsters, I can't complain too much.

Image: Wow, to think I've been looking at this village since I was a little kid, and I'm only now visiting it. What a trip this is turning out to be.

Image: The Moon Fragment... That's the artifact that would reveal the Eye of Malroth, right?
Image: Yes, if I recall. Good thing we have no need of either.

Image: They like to put food on their family's table, presumably. This island seems unsuited to agriculture.
Image: They could just go to Midenhall through the travel door, though. We'd sell them all the bread and fruit and roast slug tongues they could ever need!
Image: No offense, but now I understand why they don't.

Image: ...okay. Wow. Okay.

Image: All the men are away fishing at the sea.
Image: How are we going to find this Torval fellow then? We can't track down every single fishing vessel in the sea.
Image: Ha, don't challenge me to it.

Image: Yes, that is definitely where the Eye of Malroth is sealed in darkness. I shudder to imagine it.

Image: Holy crap, what's that?
Image: It's a child, dear. I know you know what children are.
Image: It's still unsettling to actually see one!

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is the first time we ever see the child sprite. Progress!

Image: It's a shame the Mirror of Ra was shattered, we might have a relative in there.
Image: Not every dog is a beautiful princess, Glynn.
Image: I'm sure this Torval fellow would beg to differ.

I specifically remember this sentence, because way back then, I was using my mother's old school dictionary to translate this, and the page with "sleeve" on it was torn and I had zero clue what the word meant for the longest time.

Image: Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Image: Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
Image: And I'll no longer be a Midenhall.
Image: ...you folk are weird.

Ooh, we buy a Dragon's Bane for Glynn, we can spare the money.

Better inspect what's at the other end before we give it a shot; these are deadly trap tiles that cost us 15 HP per step.

Yeah, those are jail doors, we couldn't do anything here. As soon as we get close to that dog though...

...it immediately moves to the east and stays there.

Image: Wait, do you think this is one of Torval's dogs?
Image: Huh, he looks pretty interested in this one tree. Let's see...

Image: Ooooooh ho ho ho ho ho!

We're almost done here.

Both shops in this town are staffed by women of course. We spend the night here, but as morning comes, it dawns on me that we could have just used the travel door to pop into Midenhall for the cheap inn instead. Oh well!

Image: It is in fact getting a little old by now.
Image: That reef was quite real though.

Hey, wait a minute, there's a dude in the corner up there.

Image: Never heard of him, sorry.

Alright, that's all for this village. Man, we have a hell of a lot of backtracking to do now. All these golden doors! Let's start with that strange "town" in the west.

We run into these bad customers on the way. Evil Trees are quite strong, with high HP, and they know both Stopspell and that accursed strange jig. They're fairly resistant to all magic, except for a slight weakness to spell damage.

Image: Yikes, that guy's breath is so awful that this entire town moved underground while he wasn't looking.
Image: I can hardly blame them.

Music: Joyous Song

Image: Ah, thank ye!

After speaking with this woman and until we leave Wellgarth, we get to hear the menu music. It's a nice change of pace for sure.

Oh boy. Okay. The Light Sword is only for the Prince of Midenhall; at twice the price of a Dragon Killer, it boasts an additional 15 attack power. The Mink Coat can be worn by anyone, it's 5 points stronger than Full Plate and 5 points weaker than the Armor of Gaia, and it has no special effect. The Shield of Strength is the second best shield in the game, and also the strongest shield that the Prince of Cannock can wield; it is 8 points stronger than a Steel Shield, and casts Healmore on its wearer for free when used in battle.

Before you ask, I'm definitely not grinding up 65000 gold, so the Mink Coat is out of the question. Besides, while it would be an increase in defense for Glynn, those 5 extra points are not worth losing the spell protection of the Magic Armor. We will definitely get a Shield of Strength for him though. As for the weapons, we might get the Dragon Killer later as a temporary upgrade while we round up the 215000 for the shield, and then aim for the Light Sword. But it depends on how hard a time we have against whatever enemies we're fighting whenever any of that gear becomes truly relevant.

Image: Eh? Water Flying Cloth?
Image: It sounds neat, at least.

Image: ...eh? What's that?
Image: Llllet's pretend that I have.
Image: What on earth is-
Image: Shhhh, this guy's squirrely, let's not mess this up.
Image: I still wouldn't recommend-
Image: Of course I'll take it, my good fellow.
Image: Just... hand it to the lady over here.
Image: Zed, if this is something gross I will never forgive you.

Well, whatever it is, it just cost us 2000 gold.

Image: Oh... Oh! Uh-oh.
Image: What is it what is it what is it-

Image: Oooooooh.
Image: Eesh.
Image: Hmm.
Image: Welp.
Image: Huh.
Image: Better in our hands than in anyone else's, I suppose.

Image: NOPE. WHO TOLD YOU THAT.
Image: Perhaps I should not say anything more.
Image: What if we did, though?
Image: I heard that it is sold here, but perhaps that is a lie.
Image: What kind of town is this anyway?

This one's just a regular store.

Image: It is good to have this piece of information confirmed, at least.

Ooof, that's starting to get expensive.

Doors will only open if you use their appropriate key; the golden key doesn't work on silver doors, for example. That's kind of a shame, because we now have three inventory slots occupied by keys.

Image: Zed! What are you-
Image: Oh cripes! Sorry! I just... I'm an adventurer, I open doors! Sorry!

Still no tickets.

Image: Rhone... Rhone... Hmm.
Image: Have you read about it?
Image: The name rings a bell, but... Some ancient kingdom, maybe. I couldn't say.

Image: Joke's on you, I'm the greatest, and I'm never going to devise any spells.

Image: Hmm?
Image: I locked Roge Fastfinger in prison and threw away the key. But he has escaped.

Image: Alright, let's see how this goes...

Curiously, using a key opens every door adjacent to us at once, not just the one we're facing.

Image: Is... Is this wise?
Image: You never know!

Image: !!!
Image: Well then.
Image: Huh.
Image: Only one who has the Eye of Malroth can find the road to that place.
Image: Ugh, how did I not guess?
Image: So...
Image: We find the crests for Rubiss, we find the Moon Fragment to open that mountainous cave in the sea, wherever that is, then we find the Eye of Malroth inside. We open the path to Rhone, and we find Hargon.

Here we go, that is some seriously critical info right there. It's a bit of a dickish place to hide it for sure. Gotta be thorough!

Image: Was this Fastfinger's cell? How did he...
Image: Wait a minute...

Image: Eh!?
Image: Curses! I am found!
Image: Are you Roge Fastfinger by any chance?
Image: Huh?

Man, as if we needed another key to take up space in our packs. Glynn discards an Antidote Herb.

Image: I suppose we can open any watergate that needs opening. Huzzah?
Image: How did it go again? Tools and needs, right?

That's one inconvenience with non-linear games: sometimes you find a key before you even know its door exists.

Anyway, we can finally open both golden doors and jail doors. Are you ready for a backtracking extravaganza? Same Drakee-time, same Drakee-channel!

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:44 pm

I specifically remember this sentence, because way back then, I was using my mother's old school dictionary to translate this, and the page with "sleeve" on it was torn and I had zero clue what the word meant for the longest time.

Oh man, I love that story so much. Learning you learned English (I mean, I assume not entirely) from Dragon Warrior 2 is just so amazing.
ImageImageImage

François

Postby François » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Before Dragon Warrior, I knew yes, no, hello, bye, press start and game over. By the time I started English classes at school (must have been some time between DW2 and DW3), I already had a lot of the basics and a vocabulary that blew my teacher's mind. Apart from a few points of grammar I hadn't really grasped on my own, I didn't learn much in these classes until maybe the third year.

The dictionary was something else, too. It was from the early 60s, with its binding so brittle and yellowed it was three separate books and dozens of loose pages held together with a rubber band. Who knows what my life would be like today if my mother had thrown it away instead of keeping it around for some reason?

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:39 am

My command of French (apart from the words English stole and uses sometimes, like Automobile, Rendezvous, etc) is probably limited to less than five words. I know a decent amount (where 'decent' is about 20-50) words in Spanish and Japanese. That's about it. Imagining playing a French game with a dictionary open in front of me to read it seems about as daunting to me as climbing Everest. So what I'm saying is good job!
ImageImageImage

François

Postby François » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:47 pm

So, doors to open. There have been golden doors or jail doors practically everywhere we've been to since the start of the game, so the plan is to go back to Midenhall and retrace our steps all the way to Lianport, then to Alefgard and the bottom floor of Charlock. This will also give us an opportunity to test each location with the Echoing Flute, just in case. Let's just say that Gwen's Repel will come in handy.

That said, we're still in the Wellgarth/Zahan/Osterfair region, so let's clear it out right away.

Image: This is going to suck.
Image: We... we don't need to go through here all together, do we?
Image: I'm not going in there alone! I need you guys to heal me.
Image: Maybe so, but...
Image: It does seem foolish to torture ourselves through this. There must be a better way.
Image: Well I'm not hearing any suggestions.
Image: There could be magical means to protect ourselves from this place. How about you give Gwen and I time to work something out?
Image: Ehhh... Alright then. If anyone can figure out something like that, it's you two.

Oooh, there's another new foe on this small island. Goopi are a fair bit weaker than the likes of Basilisks or Gargoyles and have low defense, but they have high HP and can call for help. They're immune to Sleep and Surround, but damage spells and Defence will always work. Most interestingly, their item drop is a Wizard's Ring, and that always comes in handy.

Image: Boo.

We had to go through so many Goopi reinforcements that I think this is the most experience we've ever gained from a single fight. It was enough to get Gwen to level 12, for 1 Strength, 2 Agility, 1 HP, 2 MP, and a new spell.

It's... Antidote. She learned Antidote. Welp.

Now for the travel doors.

Right, we knew this was the Lianport area.

Ah, okay, this is the monolith near Cannock, over the tunnel to Hamlin. This Golden Key is definitely opening up fast travel.

And this is the passage between Moonbrooke Castle and the western desert. One of the other doors here leads to the magic temple in Alefgard of course, and the other travel shrine is on that mysterious island with all the Orcs and such.

This is the world as we know it so far. Man, that's something, isn't it? We still have much land to cover. For now though, let's return to Osterfair.

The king replaced his Saber Lion, but this one isn't so keen on fighting us somehow.

Now that we've left and returned, the king of Osterfair will actually perform kingly duties for us.

Image: Hib... bongos? I'll take it as a compliment.
Image: The Moon Crest that I have given thee is just one of many thou must collect.

Freeing the trapped guard in the northwest corner does nothing special.

But there is one more door here.

Image: ...that can't be right.

Image: You saw us beat the crap out of that Lion, didn't you? The king says I'm as strong as several Hibongers. How about you just keep an eye out for customers?
Image: Good grief, Zed!

Image: Eh, you can keep that one.

Image: Oh, come to papa!
Image: Sir, I'm very sorry about all this!
Image: Hey, if it doesn't have a price on it, it must be free. That's how it works, right?
Image: ...so much for his best behavior.

So, yeah, I guess we're just robbing this guy.

Image: You can say anything you like about my father's dick genes, but this is from your side of the family!
Image: ...eh?
Image: Did you really think no one would notice you walked in the Tantegel treasury in sight of a guard and looted it clean? I mean, my father had it coming, but...
Image: Sweetie, there was like fifty gold in there.
Image: F-fifty!?
Image: I bet Lorik took more of Alefgard's riches than I ever did. Can you say slush fund?
Image: Hmm... Whenever the guards complained about their pay, he told them trade was cut off because of the Dragonlord and that it was their patriotic duty to work for room and board.
Image: And we never figured out where the money he took from me ended up. For all we know he had a hidden vault under the castle somewhere.
Image: Oh... dad...

The Armor of Gaia is just a defense upgrade, and only Zed can wear it. It's 10 points stronger than the Full Plate Armor.

Going through the nearby travel door...

Oh wow, this is the shrine south of Midenhall, where we learned the location of the Silver Key. We were going to start our grand tour here anyway; this is convenience itself. We head for the castle, sell our Full Plate, and enter the treasury.

Image: You have no idea how long I've wanted to know what's in here.

Image: Yeah that stuff's basically mine already, isn't it?
Image: Please forgive me.
Image: No problem. In fact I appreciate your vigilance, my good man.

Image: Ah, okay, that one makes sense at least.
Image: Are you sure it's okay to just take it?
Image: It's better with us than gathering dust in here.

The other chests contain 68 gold, a Medical Herb, a Wing of the Wyvern, and nothing.

Image: Well hey, miscreant. Guess what?
Image: Now that is definitely unwise.
Image: We can just lock him back up when we go, and if he tries anything funny, we'll ice him. Besides, the last guy we sprung from jail told us where Hargon is. It's all upsides.
Image: Reluctantly, I must admit he has a point, Glynn.

Image: See? See?
Image: I've never been so happy to see a man rewarded for bad behavior.
Image: Find it on the dark road that leads to Rhone.
Image: The dark road that we can't open without the Eye of Malroth. What joy.

Image: Can you guys handle this much?
Image: Yes, this should be tolerable.
Image: ...your dad really didn't want this guy to get out of here, did he?

The Evil Clown has about the same stats as the Evil Trees we fought around Wellgarth. The real danger comes from him knowing Firebane, Increase, Defence, and Healall, which will restore all of his HP. He has fairly low magic resistances, but he is almost completely immune to Stopspell.

Encountered in the wild, Evil Clowns have a chance to drop Wizard Wands, but this one always drops the Staff of Thunder. Anyone can equip it, but it's the Princess of Moonbrooke's most powerful weapon, with 3 points more attack than the Magic Knife. When used in combat, it casts a group-targeting lightning spell roughly equivalent to Infernos, and this is pretty huge.

Image: ...I can't believe we had that creature trapped under my home all this time. Are there any surprises like this in Cannock, Glynn?
Image: Not that I know of. I dare hope my father would have told me about it!

We rest at the inn, and sell off Gwen's Magic Knife and Wizard's Wand. I could see the latter being of some small use to Glynn in limited situations by now, but that's not quite enough to be worth the inventory slot. We're ready to move on to Cannock, but after selling Zed's and Gwen's old gear, we have enough money to buy Glynn a suit of Magic Armor from Osterfair, so we make a quick round trip.

Oh, while I think of it...

Well hey, that's nice. We'll have to remember to see that old fart in the shrine once we get to Alefgard again.

With the Magic Armor, Glynn's defense power is now a respectable 53. Gwen is at 49, mostly thanks to her high Agility, and Zed has 75 on account of his flexible sense of morality and willful ignorance of customer etiquette.

Neither prisoner in Cannock has anything new to say if you open their cells, but...

Image: Any idea what's in there?
Image: Not in the least.
Image: Mind if I-
Image: Help yourself.
Image: Why, thank you.
Image: It's not like you'd let him stop you, Zed.
Image: But it's still nice to have permission.

Image: See? It's all good.

Image: Haha, oh wow. I called my Silver Shield "the Shield of Erdrick" once, as a joke. I guess it stuck. And I bought that thing brand spanking new, too.

Image: I see. Midenhall inherited the Token, and Cannock inherited the Shield.
Image: Hmm. You should probaby have it.
Image: Oh, I... It's a little... a little heavy, maybe. You'll make better use of it than I will.
Image: I wonder what Moonbrooke's legacy was.
Image: I suppose we may never know now.

The Shield of Erdrick is the strongest shield in the game, offering a whole 20 points of defense. It has no special attributes, and only the Prince of Midenhall can equip it.

Image: Come on! You told me to!

Image: You know, while we're here, let's hit those travel doors again and see that old man in Alefgard right quick.

Image: I will trade the Helmet of Erdrick for the token thou carries.
Image: ...nice!
Image: The helmet? Just the... What happened to the rest of the armor? Dang, I hope they don't have to track down each individual pauldron, greave and gauntlet.

The Helmet of Erdrick is the strongest helmet in the game, also worth 20 defense; Zed now has a defense of 99. Curiously, the Iron Helmet and the Helmet of Erdrick are the only two pieces of headgear the average player is likely to see, and they both can only be equipped by the Prince of Midenhall. There's another hat in the game, but I'll mention it when it becomes a factor.

Image: But we just...
Image: There's definitely something wrong with this dude.

We return to the Cannock monolith, and take the tunnel south. On the way, Glynn reaches level 16, for 5 Strength, 7 Agility, 2 HP, and 4 MP. That's pretty good!

Image: Ugh, what? What are these horrors doing in here?
Image: Ugh! Away with thee, foul creature!
Image: Zed, I hope you don't see a reason to free these demons, at the very least.
Image: Nah, can't say that I do.

Image: Rubiss. We keep hearing about him, he must be the real deal.
Image: If thou hast the five crests he will come to thee.
Image: So the Dragonlord was right after all.
Image: I still find it hard to believe... but...

Huh, I never noticed that guard in the corner there.

Image: ...wait a minute.
Image: You don't think-
Image: Oh dear.
Image: You've heard it as well as I did. We're breaking in.

Ozwargs are a bit stronger than Evil Clowns, and they come with a fire breath, Firebane, Sleep, Stopspell and Healmore; they can also summon help. They're about 50% resistant to all magic, so spells are kind of a crapshoot. Fortunately for us here, Glynn casts Stopspell in the first round and catches the both of them. And apparently calling for help counts as a spell for the purposes of Stopspell. I had no idea! Creatures that call for help are rarely spellcasters, and creatures that don't use magic are universally immune to Stopspell.

Image: Alright everyone, well fought. Now let's search every inch of this cell.

Ah, okay then. One of the two Ozwargs here wanders randomly, but the other remains stationary in this corner; this must be so we can't just slip in there and get the crest without a fight.

Only two more to go, and we know Life is on the way to Rhone somewhere.

Image: At least someone else made it.

According to my notes, there aren't actually any more locked doors from here to Lianport, so we save in Hamlin, then Glynn casts Return to teleport our ship there.

Next stop: Tantegel.

There's a decent-sized island between Hamlin and the Rimuldar region, but it has nothing of interest.

Along the way, a Sea Slug delivers us our very first enemy crit, taking out half of Zed's HP in one strike. Man, it's a good thing very few monsters are actually capable of doing this. That same battle sees Zed reach level 18, for 5 Strength and 3 HP.

Image: I don't even know what that is.
Image: Stop again if thou art near.
Image: Come now, Zed. If we had told that sage back then that we didn't care about the Eye of Malroth, we probably wouldn't know how to find it. Let's at least hear her out.
Image: Fine, fine.
Image: What do you know about this yarn, young lady?
Image: Alas, I have no more of the Dew's Yarn, but I know where thou may seek some, for it is a substance made of wind and water and it drifts aloft until it lands on the third floor in the North Tower of the Dragon's Horn.
Image: Oh!
Image: That was wonderfully detailed, miss. Thank you.
Image: Looks like we'll have cause to return to Lianport after all.

Image: ...what the...
Image: That's the man's idea of going into hiding? Locking himself in on the second floor of a weapon shop? There's no way he's related to us!
Image: Every line has its cowards.

Image: What are you doing in here? Come on, get out! Get back to work!
Image: You weren't exactly hard to find.
Image: I cannot help thee. My hope fled long ago.
Image: Wh... How dare you!?
Image: Let's go, cousins. There is clearly nothing we can do for one another.

A quick toot on the Echoing Flute reveals that there is in fact nothing of interest in this place. Wow.

Image: I can't believe a member of our own family was less helpful than the Dragonlord.
Image: These are dark times.
Image: Speaking of the Dragonlord, all in favor of robbing him blind?
Image: I could get behind that.
Image: Ha! Count me in on that one.

Ooof, Gwen gets taken down by a bunch of Dragon Flies on the way down. Glynn uses Outside and we try again.

We also find a Wing, a Lottery Ticket, and Medical Herb. That's not exactly worth the trip.

Image: At least it's good to see this Dragonlord isn't much wealthier than his ancestor.

We immediately leave, rest in Tantegel, then sail to the northern Horn.

Image: Hmm! This thread is of superlative quality!
Image: Do you know anything about sewing, Glynn?
Image: Ah... No... Well... Halla often requested that I aid her in-
Image: Requested, eh?
Image: ...right. Anyway, this is good thread. I mean, look at it! I'm sure even you can tell how wonderful it is.
Image: It looks like yarn to me! I only know it's special because it was a pain in the ass to find it.

It was right where that seamstress said it would be, though you have to keep in mind that here the ground floor counts as floor number one. I think searching any of the northernmost row of tiles will let you find it. If we had explored other regions with our ship first, we'd probably have learned what the Watergate Key and Dew's Yarn are for by now. At least I'm pretty sure we have every key in the game, so we'll be able to fully clear any new place we explore.

Speaking of which, we're done with our worldwide revisit; those were all the locked doors we've seen so far. This has been exceptionally fruitful, what with the pieces of Erdrick's gear we recovered, and the Staff of Thunder, and those two crests of course. Starting next time, we'll be covering new ground again.

For now though, we spend the Dragonlord's Lottery Ticket in Lianport (and lose), then we rest in Tantegel, and save at the House of Healing there.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:42 pm

You're positioned here to take advantage of a couple fairly significant glitches in the way the game tracks quest states. Gonna do that?

François

Postby François » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:09 am

I actually somehow only just learned about those today! But I want play the game as designed, for good and for ill, so, nah, I won't make use of them. I wouldn't judge anyone who did though; if there's one game in the series that justifies taking every sneaky advantage you can get, this is it.

François

Postby François » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:31 am

Image: I keep thinking about the landmass south of my castle. You can see a gigantic mountain range across the lake, but there should be a place where we can land without difficulty.
Image: Wasn't there some island with a tower on it between Alefgard and Moonbrooke, too?
Image: Right! It's on the way to the lake Gwen mentioned, in fact.
Image: I always did wonder about that tower.
Image: Alright, sounds like a plan. Take us there, captain!

We also take the opportunity to clear out a few missing spots on our map between Alefgard, Cannock and Moonbrooke, but we discover no new islands there.

Image: Well I'll be!
Image: This is one of the two crests we're missing.
Image: And we know where the other is. Come on.

Demighosts were among the more dangerous enemies we've fought, and they're still rather deadly, but we've come quite a ways since we first ran into them in the Dragon's Horn.

We also fight Saber Tigers, Gorgons and Mummy Men, so it's pretty much the Alefgard/Charlock menagerie. I suspect the game intended us to come here before we went to Osterfair and the southeastern seas, but these critters still hit Glynn and Gwen hard enough that it's risky to underestimate them. And Gorgons usually require a Defence cast or two to beat, so that's a steady MP drain.

Soon enough Gwen earns level 13, for 1 Strength, 5 Agility, 3 HP and 4 MP.

We go counter-clockwise around the perimeter corridor here, avoiding any paths to the inside for now. There's a chest somewhere in the north, but we don't see any stairs yet.

That new red and grey pattern is the equivalent of roofing tile in a town; it indicates the interior of a room. Let's see if we find anything of interest in there.

These recesses are definitely entrances. The one in the north here should lead to that chest.

Oooh, nice. But let's keep exploring here for now.

That was too easy to reach to be worth much.

Ah, another staircase, I see how it is.

At this point, Glynn earns level 17, for 2 Agility, 4 HP, 8 MP (!), and a new spell.

Image: I got it!
Image: I know how to get us past those traps in Zahan!
Image: Nice! How?
Image: By magic!
Image: Of course!
Image: ...okay. But we're in a tower now, so, uh...
Image: Sure, sure, okay. But next time we're in that neighborhood, yes?

For 4 MP, Stepguard protects your entire party from damage floors, and I think it lasts until everyone is on a safe tile again.

We're still missing a few tiles on this floor that may contain chests, but they're a long way back from here and I might save them for a later mop-up. For now, let's try, say, the southwestern staircase, since it's the furthest from the entrance.

Image: ...oh. Um. I'll... I'll be leaving now.

Well, we now know Glynn's Parry command changes to Run when Zed's dead.

Good grief, those Dragon Fly swarms don't mess around. Zed's ridiculous defense means practically nothing against them.

Glynn's magic escape just saved us over 5000 gold. Reviving Zed costs 360, and Gwen 260.

Image: Holy crap, Glynn. You really pulled our asses out of the fire this time!
Image: I can't possibly thank you enough!
Image: Oh, none of that, we're all in this together.

I'm getting nervous about heading back in there with that kind of money, to be honest. I think we might as well go buy a Dragon Killer from Osterfair right away. I mean, if we all die, we lose over 5000, but selling that new sword once we're done with it will only have lost us 2000.

Hmm...

Yeah, let's play it safe. And heck, we might as well check out the rest of Zahan while we're over there, and we can even take chunks out of the unknown areas on our sea charts along the way. In fact, let's start on the east coast of Moonbrooke and follow it south past the tower where we found the Cloak of the Wind.

Zed levels up on the way, for 3 Strength, 3 Agility and 4 HP.

That's definitely a way inland to new areas. Let's keep it in mind for later.

Lots of mountains here for sure, and another path to the west.

Ah, this is Wellgarth. That desert valley might have something to do with Rhone.

Image: Hope this works!

It does! We remain unharmed.

Image: Glynn, you know you have my trust, but I thought one day I'd have to cross this hall by myself.
Image: I'm actually impressed. How did you even manage this?
Image: Oh it's rather simple, I'll show you when we have the time.

Image: ...empty.
Image: Hmm.
Image: Ehhhh.

Image: AUGH!
Image: Oh crap, let me just recast this... Sorry.

Image: At least this goes well with our yarn. Glynn?
Image: Don't look at me! Halla never let me... I mean, I never learned. I was busy.

Image: Well that was a bust. Let's get outta here.

On our way to Osterfair...

Will we be more fortunate this time?

Oh yeah. In fact, Zed's attack power is now so high that he deals 9 whole damage even without a crit! We take down two Metal Slimes, for a whole 460 experience. Nice!

Image: Heyo.
Image: You! Why should I sell you anything?
Image: You ever heard of Erdrick?
Image: ...who hasn't?
Image: Zed, I don't think he'll care that we're...
Image: Hear me out a moment. This is his sword.
Image: You know your blades. I'm sure you can tell it's the real deal.
Image: What of it?
Image: I'll give it to you.
Image: Zed?
Image: What's the catch?
Image: No catch. Just a peace offering. Or... a retroactive trade. And then you sell to me again as usual.
Image: How about it?
Image: It's... an old design... Obsolete...
Image: Historic, more like. I dug it up from the Dragonlord's lair.
Image: He did!
Image: Eh, fine, I'll take it.
Image: And I can buy from you again?
Image: Yeah, yeah. But I still think you're a dick.

Image: I'm not sure how I feel about that, but... it's... sort of honorable, I guess?
Image: Didn't you find Erdrick's Armor buried behind a shop in Hauksness? If the sword is ever needed again, it'll be found.
Image: ...yeah.

The Sword of Erdrick has sentimental value, but it takes up inventory space, and if you try to sell it at an item shop, it only goes for 2 gold. And besides, we get a new Dragon Killer to replace it, for 10 more attack power. Hopefully, our next purchase will be a Shield of Strength for Glynn.

Glynn Returns us to Tantegel, and we get ready to assault the tower again.

Ooooh, Zed can now one-shot Gorgons that haven't cast Increase yet; this will save us a lot of resources. I was almost tempted to grind out the rest of a Light Sword, but if the Dragon Killer suffices against Gorgons, it'll probably suffice against anything else here.

Glynn's normal attacks are also high enough by now to one- or two-shot anything we've met in this tower so far (except Gorgons), so that's a great help. And of course Gwen's Staff of Thunder is always amazing.

Hmm, that's a new staircase right away on the third floor. But let's keep exploring here a little more.

Okay, this looks important! I suspect it's a golden door.

And it is! It's a good thing we went to Zahan first after all.

We have a new friend right on the other side. Undead are a bit stronger than Titan Trees were, but they have no special attacks or characteristics. They're mildly resistant to Sleep, Surround and Defense, but not at all against damage spells.

Ah, those other stairways were probably decoys, we might be right on the money here. Though that's what I thought in the last tower we were in, heh.

Man the rest of this tower is pretty huge. I'm glad we're confined to this small shaft, but I'll want to explore the rest afterwards anyway.

This... might be the top?

I had a hunch the crest could be on the floor here, but nope.

Image: ...these guys are guarding the weirdest places.

Image: !!!
Image: Case in point.
Image: There is a land called Rhone, high in the mountains of a great continent.
Image: These must be the mountains we saw on our way south to Zahan.
Image: There shall thou find Hargon.
Image: We already knew that, didn't we?
Image: At least we don't have to take the word of a convict for it this time.
Image: We only have to believe a convict and Hargon's bodyguard.
Image: It's not like we have other leads.
Image: ...right.

Image: Huh, this is the top floor alright, but there's no crest. These towers are made of lies!
Image: There is much we have to explore in here still. Don't give up on us now!
Image: Ha, no worries.

Ooof, there are still Magic Ants this far in. We first saw them in the Cave of the Lake! Better let Gwen wipe them out on our first turn, we do not want to get sleep-locked.

We return to the second floor and take that staircase we saw before the locked door. On the way, Gwen reaches level 14, for 1 Strength, 6 Agility, 6 HP, and 5 MP.

That's only 120 gold.

Gold Orcs are as strong as Ozwargs, and take much longer to kill. They only have normal attacks though, and are fairly resistant to magic, especially to Surround. They can drop Dragon's Bane, and they're also worth up to 255 gold, which is huge for a single enemy.

Man, these douchebags again. If Glynn lives through this, we'll use our Leaf of the World Tree on Zed and keep going. If he doesn't, well... maybe Gwen can get out on her own.

...welp.

And Gwen couldn't manage to run.

Image: I think I'm starting to hate Dragon Flies.
Image: I suppose I had better revive thee, though-
Image: Aw, cut the crap, I get enough of that from my dad.

We've lost 2870 gold, and since only Zed gets revived, it's another 640 to bring everyone back. Man am I glad we went for that Dragon Killer or what?

I have a feeling we were finally getting somewhere. Let's follow the same branch again.

Along the way back up, Glynn gets to level 18, for 1 Strength, 3 Agility, 3 HP, 3 MP, and a new spell.

Just like that, Glynn gets our best attack spell so far: for 4 MP, Firebane does about as much damage as Infernos, but it targets all opponents regardless of grouping.

Okay, making it back to where those Dragon Flies ganked us...

Image: Ughhhhhhhh.

We return to the fourth floor, and take a staircase in a room in the northeast.

Life is hilarious.

There should be something more to the northwest corner of the fourth floor, then.

This also looks important, but I've been fooled before.

...oh wait, that area to the west must be the central shaft we climbed first. Yeah, I'm beginning to piece together parts of the map I wasn't sure about at first.

Just to be sure, we use the Silver Key on every block south of this hallway, but there are no hidden doors there. Meanwhile, Zed levels up, for 6 Strength, 4 Agility, and 13 HP. Delicious!

Whew, okay, I was worried this'd be a dead end for a moment.

This fight spiked my stress level, but a combination of Firebane and the Staff of Thunder wiped them out. Whew!

If my map is correct, this is just under the top floor.

Image: What's this jerk doing here? HEY!

The devil runs to the south as we approach.

Image: ...huh.

As soon as we get close to the old man, he starts to speak.

Image: ...do you, now?
Image: Come, follow me. I will guide thee to where you shall find the crest.

He leaves through the opening in the west.

Image: There's no way that's an honest old man, is there?
Image: Not a chance.
Image: That creature must have used some sort of metamorphosis or illusion spell. Don't be fooled, Zed!
Image: Yeah, got it.

Image: That's far too obvious. Let's take these other stairs.
Image: Good call.

Image: ...or not.
Image: We'll have to follow that creature down, then.

We see the old man on the southwestern stairs for a fraction of a second before he goes down.

Image: Here goes nothing.

We're led all the way down to the floor just above the ground floor.

Image: Let's keep our guard up.
Image: Indeed.
Image: Got it. Just open the chest, I'll keep an eye on him.

Image: This is ridiculous. Even if they had managed to catch us off guard, we would still have vaporized them in an instant.

Image: One more to go, and we probably can't get it before we find the Eye of Malroth.
Image: But before this, we need the Moon Fragment.
Image: And we'll need to find the cave where the Eye is sealed.
Image: Not too long ago, we didn't even know what the crests were, or that they existed at all.
Image: We've come a long way.
Image: And we're not done yet. Ready to leave this place?
Image: It'd be best to clear it sooner or later, but yeah, take us away from this wretched hive.
Image: I could not possibly be happier to hear this!

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:43 am

is that crest slime shaped

François

Postby François » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:06 pm

I think it may just be meant to be a drop of water, but yeah, it does look way too similar to a slime to be a coincidence. The crests use the same icons as the lottery, and slimes feature prominently in casinos in later games, so I'd say there are good odds it's intentional.