Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Hot Tweets Cool Treats

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:27 pm

2018, ladies and gentlemen. 2018.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:24 am

This 8-year-old girl could improve 90% of jam bands by replacing their drummer.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:56 am

Mongrel wrote:2018, ladies and gentlemen. 2018.

I wasn't ready to see one of our faculty here. Get out of my real life, internets.

EDIT: Wolfers, not Rodman.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:27 pm

At least potcoin is backed by something more than its own speculative future value. Maybe.

It's not, is it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:39 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:31 pm

There's dark humour, and then there's this:

Now introducing valet parking for your children

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:14 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:52 am

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:46 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:07 pm

Have you ever wanted to see a Twitter roast of just a dude's shoes? Of course you have.

Dyin' here.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 am

John Cleese on 'snowflakes'. Nice one, Centurion.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Aaaaand it looks like both the tweet and maybe even the account are unavailable. Probably thanks to getting a famous snarky bastard's attention.

I forget who said it, but you really shouldn't put anything on social media that you aren't comfortable seeing on the front page.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Still up for me. Might just be server load.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Assholes have been calling the left "weak" for as long as I can remember. It's basic (cliche) villain talk.

You know, the whole insane over the top speech the bad guy gives at the end of the film to the hero.

"The strong prey on the weak! That is the natural order!"

It's literally just that shit. They want to reframe kindness as weakness to justify their cruelty. It really is that simple.

The mega-joke is, of course, that these same people who constantly make fun of how sensitive liberals are get maximum butthurt when you take them to town and cry victim at the first sign of "we won't let you lynch black people."

It's not a new observation to say that these fuckheads are thin-skinned as tissue paper, but it helps to remember it about them whenever you despair at their awfulness; they're not badass DARTH VADER villains, they're crybabies of the literal highest order.

I'm not saying that there aren't truly hard cruel people. They're out there too, but they're rare in comparison to the Internet Tough Guy Racist, and it's important to know that.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Friday wrote:Assholes have been calling the left "weak" for as long as I can remember. It's basic (cliche) villain talk.

You know, the whole insane over the top speech the bad guy gives at the end of the film to the hero.

"The strong prey on the weak! That is the natural order!"

It's literally just that shit. They want to reframe kindness as weakness to justify their cruelty. It really is that simple.

The mega-joke is, of course, that these same people who constantly make fun of how sensitive liberals are get maximum butthurt when you take them to town and cry victim at the first sign of "we won't let you lynch black people."

It's not a new observation to say that these fuckheads are thin-skinned as tissue paper, but it helps to remember it about them whenever you despair at their awfulness; they're not badass DARTH VADER villains, they're crybabies of the literal highest order.

I've mentioned it before, but one of the more important revelations of my life was the time years ago when I first saw the photo of the Nazi boycott of Woolworths in Germany and realized "Jesus... just look at these guys. These guys are fuckin' losers." which was in a way more important than the much easier and earlier realization the leadership was that sort of insecure crybaby.

I mean, it's a known trope too. The villain who surrounds themselves with slavering toadies in fear for their lives because the leaders literally cannot accept any challenge to their reality. That's very very real! It's how you end up with henchmen who loudly proclaim "THERE ARE NO AMERICANS IN IRAQ!" as an M1 Abrams rumbles by behind them.

François

Postby François » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:55 pm

The prevailing notion here is that people who are happy and well-adjusted generally don't join the Nazis/KKK/4chan or any other sort of far-right reactionary movement. The rank-and-file is people who are hurting really bad ("I'm lonely and I can't find a decent job"), are lied to about the source of their pain ("you're lonely because of feminists and you can't find a decent job because of immigrants"), and don't have whatever flavor of intelligence is necessary to realize they've been lied to ("oh, I'm actually lonely because my atrophied sense of empathy drives social-type people away and I can't find a decent job because capitalists have been suppressing income growth since before I was born").

I'm not trying to make the point that we should feel sorry for them; they're shitheads, they make their own decisions, fuck 'em. But yeah, the average low-rank Nazi is going to be some type of huge loser because it's not hard to entice people who are in pain with quick explanations and base feel-good solutions, even though an outside observer possessed of the slightest insight would immediately realize that the explanations are wrong and that the solutions are both evil and ultimately ineffective.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:14 pm

François wrote:The prevailing notion here is that people who are happy and well-adjusted generally don't join the Nazis/KKK/4chan or any other sort of far-right reactionary movement. The rank-and-file is people who are hurting really bad ("I'm lonely and I can't find a decent job"), are lied to about the source of their pain ("you're lonely because of feminists and you can't find a decent job because of immigrants"), and don't have whatever flavor of intelligence is necessary to realize they've been lied to ("oh, I'm actually lonely because my atrophied sense of empathy drives social-type people away and I can't find a decent job because capitalists have been suppressing income growth since before I was born").

I'm not trying to make the point that we should feel sorry for them; they're shitheads, they make their own decisions, fuck 'em. But yeah, the average low-rank Nazi is going to be some type of huge loser because it's not hard to entice people who are in pain with quick explanations and base feel-good solutions, even though an outside observer possessed of the slightest insight would immediately realize that the explanations are wrong and that the solutions are both evil and ultimately ineffective.

Well, exactly.

They're the sort of people who, at a previous stage in their lives were sympathetic, but who chose to lash out, to respond in anger. The kind of people who don't really want solutions; they just want revenge and they don't even much care who they're "revenging" themselves upon.

Being a loser in and of itself doesn't mean you'll become a Nazi or beyond help, but becoming a Nazi almost certainly indicates you're a loser and probably a lost cause.

Even I don't think you can save everyone. Some people just do not wish to be helped in any way beyond the way they want. That's seldom realistically possible (or ethical). It fucking hurts to see people in pain, causing more pain for others, but sometimes you can only practically address the latter.

You know when you see kids who you know are going to end up in the shit end of things... that's when it really hurts. Because if someone is obviously socially maladjusted or susceptible to manipulation, then your very best hope is to try and address this when they're young, and the earlier you can do this, the better your chances are.