Let's all go to the movies~

Friday

Re: Let's all go to the movies~

Postby Friday » Sat May 19, 2018 3:39 pm

My wife always vaguely lamented that the TERRIBLE Amc on the other side of the highway (the one that basically gets all the loud talkers, obnoxious teens, etc)

It's not a true marvel movie opening weekend unless the obnoxious teens laugh and talk so loud that you miss all dialog following any quip, forcing a repeat viewing WAIT IS THIS HOW MARVEL IS MAKING ALL THEIR MONEY?!
ImageImageImage

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat May 19, 2018 5:10 pm

Speaking of terrible theater experiences: About a dozen children in the showing of Deadpool 2 I was at today, including one child so young they needed a booster seat to see the screen.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat May 19, 2018 7:25 pm

Friday wrote:It's not a true marvel movie opening weekend unless the obnoxious teens laugh and talk so loud that you miss all dialog following any quip, forcing a repeat viewing WAIT IS THIS HOW MARVEL IS MAKING ALL THEIR MONEY?!

we saw the vvvvvvitch at the theater in question and no joke the girl sitting next to me was running-commentary translating the entire movie into vietnamese to the person sitting next to her

it really drove home that new england spooky atmosphere

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 28, 2018 11:20 pm

oh my god

EDIT: Just a reminder!

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue May 29, 2018 9:55 am

It must be so nice being the only subculture immune to all human irrationalities.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Still can't believe they're making a Traction Wars movie. Classic 80's schlock sci-fi is looking good on the big screen with modern special effects!

Although it appears that this trailer is from the "Spoil the entire movie in 2 minutes" school of trailer making.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:50 pm

i try to keep my hype in check as much as possible but sometimes there's no reason to

because i literally do not care one tiny bit about the writing or action or story even if (i hope!) they end up being great when it comes to a trailer for a film that LOOKS this fucking good.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:21 pm

The Death Of Stalin is not only bleakly funny as hell (as promised), it's surprisingly sympathetic in its treatment of most of the characters.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:28 am

Incredibles 2 was good. Not as good as the first one, but that's a high bar; they took 14 years to make a sequel, and they made sure they got it right. It's not perfect (I think Dash is underused -- middle-child syndrome! -- and the villain's plan makes no sense, even by the standards of a genre known for plans like "the Joker uses a mind-transference ray to learn how to surf, so he can rule the waves"), but it's got some of the best superhero action setpieces I've ever seen (and also a lovely throwback to the Golden Age of cartoons involving a fight with a raccoon), and some great fucking audio, between the big-band soundtrack and some excellent use of surround sound in a scene where Jack-Jack is moving around but you can't see where he is.

It's not on par with the original, and it's probably not in my top five Pixar movies -- but again, those are high bars to clear. Still well worth seeing in the theater.

Also, before the movie I saw two trailers that had a screaming goat in them, two trailers that had gags involving somebody stammering, and two trailers that had Eeyore in them.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:45 am

Absolutely do not go see Incredibles 2 if you have any kind of epilepsy or other sensitivity to flashing lights, it's a massive problem and theaters are putting up warning signs.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:21 am

Won't You Be My Neighbor? is damn-near as perfect a job as anyone could do of distilling Mr. Rogers' 35-year career into 90 minutes. It hits the major points -- the greatest of which is his empathy. (And while I think it's fair to say the man didn't have many faults, the movie does acknowledge one: he took longer than he should have to speak out on gay rights, at one point essentially telling Francois Clemmons to either stay in the closet or leave the show. I feel like that, too, is a useful message: everybody makes mistakes, even Mr. Rogers; the important thing is to acknowledge them and learn to do better.)

The one thing I thought was odd was that there was no mention at all of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. The film has a few short interstitials featuring an animated Daniel Tiger that seem like they're alluding to it, but it's never actually mentioned. That feels like a missed opportunity to me: we end the film more or less on the Westboro Baptist Church picketing Rogers' funeral, which is a pretty down note. Daniel Tiger seems like it should have at least warranted a mention -- yes, this movie is about Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, but it's also about what Fred Rogers did and what he accomplished. And while he's fifteen years gone now, his work lives on -- and not just in thirty years of reruns. His collaborators, his characters, his message, and his methods are still present on television. In fact, a glance at that Wikipedia article indicates that a new season starts in just over two weeks.

falselogic

Postby falselogic » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:04 pm

If you like dumb people making dumb decisions and then being killed by dumb dinosaurs then Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom is the perfect movie for you!
It's always been Wankershim!

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:32 pm

it is so dumb

it is so good

falselogic

Postby falselogic » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Niku wrote:it is so dumb

it is so good

Yup! The ending gives me hope that any sequels will finally break the trapped on an island mold the franchise has been trapped in since JP2
It's always been Wankershim!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:56 am

Well! This looks a little... intense.

(Mainly linking it because it looks like they're ratcheting up Nicholas Cage's bananas crazytown to a new level here).

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:47 am

Thad wrote:Won't You Be My Neighbor? is damn-near as perfect a job as anyone could do of distilling Mr. Rogers' 35-year career into 90 minutes.

I went to see this yesterday on your recommendation. You failed to mention how many tissues I should bring along. ;_________;

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:55 am

Paul Verhoeven is working on a film adaptation of The Last Express.

Huh.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:26 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:07 am

Blomkamp to direct Robocop movie. Screenplay is by Ed Neumeier, who co-wrote the original.

Course, don't take for granted that this is going to happen until they actually start shooting. I'm still bummed Blomkamp didn't get to make that Alien movie he was working on.