Hottest Disney Song Ro68

Moderators: Friday, LaserBeing

Hottest Disney Song

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:38 pm

8. Circle of Life (Lion King)
27%
9. A Whole New World (Aladdin)
18%
28. Kidnap the Sandy Claws (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
18%
30. Sally's Song (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
5%
38. Everybody Wants to be A Cat (The Aristocats)
32%

Total votes: 22
Lady

Re: Hottest Disney Song Ro68

Postby Lady » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:33 pm

I never watched Dumbo growing up, and I was pretty not-sold on I Saw an Elephant Fly, but then the reprise made all the difference

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Dumbo is so good, seriously. It's Disney just all distilled down to the bare essentials with some wonderful stylistic choices (Dumbo does not talk for the entire film, for example) and a wonderful sense of pathos. It draws out so much emotion so elegantly.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 pm

45. Bibbity Bobbity Boo (Cinderella) 4
23. Kiss the Girl (The Little Mermaid) 8
62. The Bells of Notre Dame (Hunchback of Notre Dame) 4
57. Sugar Rush (Wreck-it Ralph) 5
17. When I See An Elephant Fly (Dumbo) 4
65. A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes (Cinderella) 7

We've got 15 entries left, so I think the best way to split that up is to do 3 batches of 5, with 2 winners in each batch.

That'll leave us with 33 going into Round 2, which is an easy number to work from. (7 batches of 4, 1 batch of 5, 16 winners.)

Next up:

67. Almost There (Princess and the Frog)
46. To Die For (Lion King)
66. Once Upon A Dream (Sleeping Beauty)
37. Bare Necessities (The Jungle Book)
22. Part of Your World (The Little Mermaid)

Vote for up to 2.
ImageImageImage

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 pm

ALMOST THERE
BARE NECESSITIES

All others can go to H E L L

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:22 pm

To Die For is one of the few songs to consistently evoke tears from me. Probably my favorite Disney song.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:29 pm

WHOA ESPER WHAT

NO ONE SAYS TO DIE FOR TO TO DIE FOR

*punch*
ImageImageImage

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:56 pm

AND EVERY LAST INCH OF ME'S COVERED IN TO DIE FOR
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:22 pm

To Die For is the greatest JRPG boss theme ever composed.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:31 pm

this is a powerhouse fucking round

almost there is gorgeous. from the animation to the vocals to its "i want" placement, there's basically nothing bad i can say about it. probably the second best thing in the entire film (the first best thing being the animation work on facilier's shadow).

to die for is a bold choice in a tournament naturally dominated by ballads and broadway, but it has a hell of a motherfucking swing just on its musical merits; even if you've somehow never seen the lion king, it's still incredibly evocative.

speaking of gorgeous, hoooooooly hell does sleeping beauty hold up. i'm honestly not sure there's a better disney movie period if we're talking strictly animation. once upon a dream is also pretty much my favorite classic princess song. it's just good without needing to be earwormy enough to get drilled in, and the biggest mark against it is prince phillip sounding like a totally unnecessary tool when he butts into the song abruptly. i think he acquits himself pretty well in his verse though. let's say moe.

if you want an earworm though, bare necessities is right there. it's playful, it gets stuck without being straight up repetitive, it's great characterization for baloo, and there's some fantastic use of instruments as foley. bill murray's version from the remake is a lot better than the version of wanna be like you from the same, but is still way overdone for such a simple, perfect little ditty.

once upon a dream is probably my favorite disney princess song, but "part of your world" feels like my disney song. little mermaid came out when i was five, and it's one of the first experiences from a movie theater that i can remember clear as a bell. (that and the dude aging at the end of last crusade). this is the song that probably directly made me the nerd about disney that i am today in a lot of ways. i literally cannot listen to it without The Feels every single time. i love basically every single parody version of it, even the worst and dumbest ones but especially the best and sneakiest ones. it's THE i want song in my heart, right down to "i want" literally being in the lyrics. the animation might not be sleeping beauty, but it's still fucking incredible. i re-listen and watch every one of these songs whenever i'm writing up these posts, but i've literally listened to "part of your world" three times now while typing. there's no awkward dialogue scenes interrupting it, no sudden cut ins from other characters dampening jodi benson's voice (aside from a few vocalizations from sebastian here and there), essentially nothing bad i can say about it. and even if you are not even one one hundredth as gay as i am for it, there's still always ariel wants legs right over there to seal your vote for the correct song thanks to the magnificent recorder cover. obviously getting my other vote. technically my first vote because this round is TOO GODDAMN HARD TO CHOOSE IN. i guess i'll just have to time travel to give up my other vote to .. oh, i don't know.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Bare Necessities is easy.

Once Upon a Dream beats Almost There by a haiiiiir beased on the vocals.

Lady

Postby Lady » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 am

I couldn't face a world where To Die For is considered the hottest disney song, no matter how masterful and evocative it is. After that, and my long-time grudge against bear necessities, that narrowed down the options for me.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:30 am

Lady wrote:I couldn't face a world where To Die For is considered the hottest disney song, no matter how masterful and evocative it is. After that, and my long-time grudge against bear necessities, that narrowed down the options for me.

Hey, just what have you got against bears without clothes?

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:11 am

I had my fill at Pride, thank you very much.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:01 pm

67. Almost There (Princess and the Frog) 2
46. To Die For (Lion King) 4
66. Once Upon A Dream (Sleeping Beauty) 5
37. Bare Necessities (The Jungle Book) 8
22. Part of Your World (The Little Mermaid) 7

Next up:

34. When You Wish Upon A Star (Pinocchio)
27. Jack's Obsession (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
1. Be Prepared (Lion King)
36. The Unbirthday Song (Alice in Wonderland)
31. Friends on the Other Side (The Princess and the Frog)
ImageImageImage

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:11 pm

man, two villain songs at once is just unfair.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:15 pm

There are only three songs which matter in this round.

As much as I'd like to vote for Friends on the Other Side, I gotta give it to the cricket. When You Wish Upon a star is a song so iconic it actually transcends being a "mere" Disney song.

Besides which, I legitimately feel it's the better song. I know it's overplayed to tears AND is the de facto Disney corporate leitmotif, but just once, try to forget you've ever heard it before and listen to it as if it were an entirely whole new song. Difficult, I know, but rewarding.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Yeah, When You Wish Upon a Star has endured and become the theme of the entire world-consuming corporation for pretty good reason. It's not a personal favorite in the same way Once Upon a Dream was from last round, but it's in exactly the same league. Pretty easy vote.

Jack's Obsession is as good as all of Nightmare's music, and I love the sinister drive of the lyrics bringing home just what a bad idea Jack's entire crusade really is and how much the entire point of Christmastown is entirely slipping through his grasp in favor of the surface level glitz and tantalizing newness of it all. Not really one of my standouts from the soundtrack here, but the worst Nightmare song is still better than a ton of others.

So, do you know who we haven't gotten to talk about much in this thread yet? Jim. Goddamn. Cummings. Cummings is the Disney vocal MVP, has been for decades, and I accept no arguments otherwise. He's Winnie the Pooh (and Tigger too!). He's Darkwing Duck. He's mothafuckin' Pete. He's Ray from Princess and the Frog. He totally tries to centaur-!molest Meg in Hercules. "You idiots, we've ALL got swords!" He's fucking there for you whether you need a main character, an antagonist, someone on the side, or just "additional voices" across a ton of Disney work (to not even get into all of his other voice work over the years). And it's amazing to me just how many people are like ".. wait, shit, what?" when you point out that he takes over Be Prepared for the final verse because by that point you're so wrapped up in Scar's terrifying, fascist hellscape of a song that you're not paying close enough attention to realize it (Cummings is also the voice of the hyena Ed). We so often talk about how the villain songs are the best songs Disney has, and Be Prepared is one of the ones that wears the crown for exactly why the fuck that is. The fact that it features (while listening to teacher) both Irons chewing the shit out of the song AND a Disney legend filling in for him in the same theatrical recording just makes me love it all the more. Easy second vote.

Occasionally the lady will sing a variation of "Happy Birthday Lisa" randomly around the house to me, and it almost always inevitably results in me singing The Unbirthday Song back at her since it's not my birthday. She hasn't seen Alice in Wonderland in so long that she doesn't remember the song at all, and is extremely squicked out by the term "unbirthday" because of the internet. Good job, internet. .. anyway, I love this song to pieces, but not as much as the ones that got the votes. I've got a ton of nostalgic fondness for this one in particular because it was on one of the Disney sing-along VHS tapes that basically preceded my weekly Disney music YouTube binges, and it takes me right back to watching that tape in my grandmother's den.

And speaking of her, the lady and I were talking about Friends on the Other Side yesterday (mostly because I was complaining how the last round was probably the most brutal one for me so far), and my stance on it is that it's fantastic, the animation is killer, but it wouldn't be nearly as good if it wasn't Keith David. I know saying "the person who sang this song so well is the reason this song is good!" is kind of a no-brainer, but I just don't jive with the lyrics and flow of Other Side quite as much as I do with a lot of the other villain songs. But I adore Keith David, and am still gob-smacked by how well this Baron Samedi-ass-motherfucker flourishing around his hoodoo and card tricks and crazy shadow is animated. That fucking neon shot of his masked face writhing toward the end. The "bum bum bum bum bum" chorus does a lot of work too for my fondness here too, but in the end, I feel like this is an incredible house built on a slightly shaky foundation. (It also gives him what every good villain really needs: the reprise demise.)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:42 pm

The main thing that puts me off Friends on the Other Side is the way it breaks down or drops to near-spoken sequences at times, as a number of the songs in this contest do.

I know that's not objectively bad and is a long-standing aspect of Broadway style songs and musical theatre in general, but it's a negative for me when considering these as songs in their own right.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:53 am

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Man, speaking of the Princess And the Frog, I can't believe how many songs we failed to nominate. I mean Dig a Little Deeper should have been on there at least. Oh well!