Obscure Old Games

zaratustra

Obscure Old Games

Postby zaratustra » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:34 pm

(admins merge this into the appropriate thread if I missed it)

so I've recently been referred to Brain Lord and i have these things to say about it

* somehow it looks exactly like a Genesis game despite being on the SNES
* it's like a zelda game but the enemies are way more boring
* it has some neat puzzles though
* you can have two 'fairies' that accompain you and do a thing
* reminds me a bit of 7th saga at least the ten minutes I played of 7th saga

Blossom

Re: Obscure Old Games

Postby Blossom » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:38 pm

I remember Brain Lord! Played that a fair few times, it was fairly fun.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Mmm. I should probably put together a "top ten old games that you probably haven't played" list.

Give me a bit.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Friday wrote:"top ten old games that you probably haven't played"

Okay but could you make it not sound like a Looper headline?

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:11 pm

top ten reasons Guile is Magus
ImageImageImage

Copen

Postby Copen » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:14 pm

Zara, was it Crusader of Centy?

There was another one I'm thinking of too. It was called Nestopia or something. Netopia?

It was rereleased on on the Wii and/or Wii U eShop Virtual Console.

Edit: My reading comprehension is total trash right now. Disreguard this post unless you know the name of that *topia game, cause that's going to bug me.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Friday wrote:top ten reasons Guile is Magus

I came very close to ending my post with "I can't rename your threads anymore."

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:08 am

Copen wrote:Zara, was it Crusader of Centy?

There was another one I'm thinking of too. It was called Nestopia or something. Netopia?

Edit: My reading comprehension is total trash right now. Disreguard this post unless you know the name of that *topia game, cause that's going to bug me.

Neutopia, a PC Engine / TG-16 Zelda-like.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:46 am

Copen wrote:Zara, was it Crusader of Centy?

Kayin pointed out Brain Lord is a SNES game that looks like a Genesis game and Crusader of Centy is a Genesis game that looks like a SNES game.

They were switched at birth i guess

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:36 am

Mohawk & Headphone Jack, a platformer for the SNES that was so complex that the developer had to invent a new compression algorithm to make it fit on a SNES cart and function smoothly.

It's also slightly insane.

Copen

Postby Copen » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:26 am

Grath wrote:Mohawk & Headphone Jack, a platformer for the SNES that was so complex that the developer had to invent a new compression algorithm to make it fit on a SNES cart and function smoothly.

It's also slightly insane.

On first glance it looks like Kirby x Mario Galaxy x Lots of drugs. Looks cool though.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:05 pm

I wish I could say I had something to add here, but the only thing which would qualify is the entirely of the old Intellivision catalogue.

That Mohawk and Heaphone game looks fucking insaaaannnnne though.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:58 pm

Alright, before I hijack this thread and turn it into yet another Friday Poll/List thread, let's talk about the word "obscure" for a moment.

There are levels of obscure. First off, it's going to be subjective. It's not obscure to a person who had that system/was active during that time (most likely) and some games aren't obscure so much as niche. (Ogre Battle for SNES is a good example of that, it's a great game that a lot of people haven't played, but it really only appeals to the Tactical RPG crowd and it's not going to be 'obscure' to any of them.)

I've seen some internet lists/youtubes where 'obscure' basically just meant "no Mario or Zelda" in how obscure they were being.

On the other hand, this is a personal list of games I have played. I was a through and through Nintendo Girl with hardly any exposure to Sega or anything else. That being said, the NES and SNES do actually have some good (and even great) games for them that are less well known.

So yeah. Obscurity is hard to nail down. This isn't going to be a pile of weird-ass early PC games or anything like that. Chances are most of you guys will have heard of the games, at least, that I talk about here. But I'm going to exclude more than just Mario and Zelda.

Alright, lets get started. I'm gonna post these in no particular order.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:07 am

10. Terranigma

A lot was already said about Terranigma in the SNES poll I ran. But I have to start with it anyway.

Only released (in English) in PAL regions, Terranigma is the third game in the Illusion "Trilogy", which includes SoulBlazer and Illusion of Gaia, both of which could also probably go on this list, though Terranigma is both the most obscure and best of the three, so it gets the nod.

Terranigma is an action RPG sort of similar to, well, Secret of Mana, but you only control one dude. Said dude has a large repertoire of moves and attacks that he must use to battle the evil forces of DARK GAIA (spoilers) but the game is really unique in a lot of ways. Your first task is to escape the Underworld that you find yourself sealed in, and then restore the sealed world one type of thing at a time. Plants, Birds, Animals, Humans, you bring them all back to some truly amazing sound/song design. It's a super unique story that must be experienced firsthand to really appreciate. I put off playing it for a long time because I thought it was sort of overhyped just by how many people kept mentioning it as the SNES "hidden gem", but I found out that they were absolutely correct.

It's not a perfect game. None of the games on this list are, because none of the games on this list are A Link To The Past. But yeah, check it out, you won't regret it.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:11 am

9. Metal Warriors

FUCK YEAH METAL WARRIORS

I played this game with my brother and I would Drache dive his Havoc and one-shot him and he would get so fuckin' pissed and later I netplayed it with Xerox and used medkits and he got so fuckin' pissed

oh i guess the single player campaign is pretty fun

But seriously this game rivals Terranigma for "THE TRUE HIDDEN GEM OF THE SNES" in terms of quality games that are maybe less mainstream. It's an excellent video game, and you can be a hypersonic sphere with a chargable Plasma Cannon.

I don't even fucking like mecha stuff.

9/10 medkits officially banned from competitive play
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:30 am

8. Willow (NES)

Do you like Zelda

Willow is a lot like Zelda

Actually, weirdly, it plays more like A Link To The Past in terms of the combat than Zelda 1 does, so. Whatever that counts for.

uh

I only played this pretty recently in the past few years but it was really a lot better than I was expecting, though it does have a lot of rough spots, and repetitive dungeon layouts which were endemic to a lot of games back then. But hey, it's surprisingly well made and competent for such an old game, especially a licensed one. Most people have heard of the movie of course, but I kind of doubt many of you have played or even heard of this.

The story only vaguely follows the plot of the movie. Most of the time you're just wandering around exploring, which is fine by me, I live for that shit. You get equipment upgrades, new spells, new swords, all the pieces of the modern action adventure game are present. I think you get exp and can level up also? I actually forget! But I don't forget how good the game was for something made in the 80s for the NES. Sadly, you do not get to play as Madmartigan, which is a 50 dkp minus.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:42 am

I feel like I should put my SD2SNES to work and try Terranigma. (I started Soul Blazer and liked it okay but quit because I found the bosses to be too much of a slog. Never played Illusion of Gaia.)

But the SNES is in my office and I'm doing most of my gaming in my living room lately. Mostly because it's a lot hotter in my office.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:02 am

There's one infamously bad boss in Terranigma, but other than her, I don't remember any of the bosses being badly designed. Really, the game plays like hot butter and all the atmosphere and trappings are excellent and very unique.
ImageImageImage

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:07 am

Terranigma is ambitious like hell and overall an Important Experience. It nearly derails itself in the final hour trying to pull all the heartstrings AND do a last-minute twist but hey, at least it's not Illusion of Gaia (THE PIG DIED FOR YOUR SINS)

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:35 am

on the other hand it's not illusion of gaia

man, iog is such a messy, stupid fucking game that i love so goddamn much.

HI I'M A PLASMA MAN NOW??? OH ALSO STAND IN LINE IN REAL TIME. AND HERE ARE THE DRACULAS OF ATLANTIS.