Justice

Friday

Re: Justice

Postby Friday » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:25 pm

Considering how many private prisons will be looking to quash this on the cheap, things might get... "interesting".

Well, considering that I read in an in-depth undercover article (shit, I think someone linked it here, anyway, it's a million pages long and I don't have it anymore, so just take my word for this) that talked about how the CCA cut deals with prison gangs to keep "security" in an Idaho prison to save on labor costs, yeah, I think "interesting" might be underselling it.

I mean, I'm not saying that the CCA is entirely capable of hiring gang members to strongarm/beat the shit out of/kill strike leaders.

But I am actually saying that.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:42 pm

I think I mighta posted that. If I wasn't the one who posted it here, I definitely reposted it elsewhere.

So yep, I know exactly which article you're talking about.

EDIT: Found it again (was in the cops thread):

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:56 pm

There are maybe six or seven articles that I think pretty much every American should read (not that non-Americans shouldn't) and that's one of them.
ImageImageImage

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:18 pm

So they acquitted a pack of armed terrorists who occupied a federal building for months.

What does it fucking take? Can we just convene a new jury and just tell them the defendants are black?

And then in Dakota they're bringing in a hundred militarized cops to stomp on unarmed native protesters.

Fuck it.

Fuckitfuckitfuckitfuckit.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:31 pm

"The Bundy's are acquitted."
"What all of them?"
"Yes, all of them."
"What, like... Ted? ...and Al?"
*notices jury has left*
"Judge? Judge?"
"Not my problem, I'm going fishin' on gummint land."

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:10 pm

Militia members acquitted. Black men gunned down by police. Government forces arresting Sioux on behalf of a corporate interest. On and on and on and fucking on.

I'm tired of hearing that change takes time. Shit, I've got one of those "100 years ago today" newspaper headline feeds and I keep accidentally clicking stories thinking they're contemporary. Hey, throw in open brawling over a presidential election because that one suckered me too. I won't say nothing has changed. At the risk of understatement: The world is a better place than it was in 1916, or 1938, or 1963... but fuck me if it's not disappointing to see this same dogshit over and over.

Humans gonna human, I guess.

I want to get off Mr. History's Wild Ride.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:26 pm

I agree that sometimes it feels like nothing has changed but, as a minority, I have to say that while it is difficult to not get jaded about this shit, not acknowledging that we've actually gotten a lot of shit done if the last 100 (and at a more rapid rate in the last 50 and an even more rapid rate in the last 25) years does at least two things off of the top of my head that are terrible.

The first is that it sorta forgets and sells short all the people that've fought, worked hard and in some cases died for all we've gotten today.

It also, and possibly even worse then the first, allows people to believe that Trump (or someone like him) winning and 'destroying the system' would be better than that not happening for minorities.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:36 pm

I was already chastising myself and editing my post before I saw yours. I don't want to give short shrift to progress, but hell if it doesn't feel like the world is always about a century behind where you thought it was supposed to be.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:45 am

Cannot believe this shit.

I cannot believe we're saying this is okay, that these fucking psychotic idiots won.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:07 am

Rotten as this is, there could at least be a silver lining: Oregon Occupation Unites Native American Tribes To Save Their Land

But the Bundy family's mostly white, anti-government movement has had an unintended effect: It has refocused attention on the ancestral rights Native Americans hold to lands across the Western half of the United States.

[...]

A coalition of tribes in Utah is pushing for a national monument on cultural lands there. And the most high-profile show of tribal unity since the Oregon occupation has been the protests over the Dakota Access Pipeline led by the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.

"The duty that tribes are claiming to their sacred sites, to ancestral homelands, places to hunt, fish and provide for themselves, those things are being ignored by the American government," said Chase Iron Eyes, a tribal attorney and member of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.

Iron Eyes, who is running for North Dakota's at-large seat in the U.S. House of Representatives, says with defiance that the plight of the Burns Paiute in Oregon brought a kind of awakening in Indian Country. He is optimistic that acts of civil disobedience and unarmed, peaceful protests will bring land reforms.

It's not that things are going great out there; obviously they're not. But we're hearing about this shit now. We're hearing about what's going on with the Dakota Access Pipeline. Hell, there have even been positive responses from the President, and that's a pretty good step.

I like to think things are turning around. But fuck, sometimes it's hard to see it.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:19 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Back on the Bundy thing: the "conspiracy to prevent government workers from doing their jobs" charge was a pretty weird and wonky way to go. They really should have gone with criminal trespassing. I get that it's a lighter sentence, but it would have made for a much easier conviction.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:52 am

Former Penn State president Graham Spanier sentenced to jail for child endangerment in Jerry Sandusky abuse case

(Two other administrators, too.)

In a surprise, Spanier — the only one of the three to take his case to trial earlier this year — actually received the lightest sentence: four to 12 months, with the first two in jail and the remainder served under house arrest. Former university athletic director Tim Curley, 63, received a sentence of seven to 23 months, with three in jail, while former former vice president Gary Schultz, 67, was sentenced to six to 23 months, with two months in jail. All three men were convicted of the same misdemeanor charge of child endangerment, but Curley and Schultz both reached plea agreements and testified at Spanier’s trial in March.

Far too fucking light, if you ask me, but this is all they're going to be remembered for for the rest of their lives and beyond, and that's something. The damage to their legacies may be more of a deterrent in future cases than their jail sentences, though I'm not going to pretend to understand the kind of mind that would even consider covering for a child molester.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:12 am

The fucking weird thing is, that mindset you mention, the covering for a child molester one, almost seems to be the default.

I know, I know. That's a big assertion, and I've got no stats to back that up. But shit, it happens so fucking often. Catholic Church (shit this one still pisses me off to this day. They fucking got so much of the heat they would have gotten distracted by 9/11 happening right after the story started to break) shit aside, there are tons and tons of stories of families just... not reporting, despite knowing it's going on. When I was young, even my community church (not catholic) had some shitlord who molested a girl slightly younger than I was, and a lot of the church members tried to fucking protect him.

I really don't want to believe that most people's reaction to learning about someone molesting a kid is "let's sweep it under the rug." But even if it's not a large part of society, it's a large enough part to fucking make it keep happening over and over and over.

Earlier in this thread, I talked about how it doesn't make sense to me to send non-threats to prison. I don't -really- consider these guys or people like them threats, (in a direct way, at least, just being enablers) but I'll make an exception about sending them to prison for this kind of shit. If anything, this is the one time I agree with the thesis "show the rest that this behavior is NOT ACCEPTABLE".
ImageImageImage

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:21 am

I have some experience studying this.

The short version is that it's a defense mechanism. Exposing it would upset what's going on now. The default shock reaction is an immediate attempt to figure out how to prevent anything from getting more wrong than it already is. Sweeping it under the rug is the fastest way to go back to pretending it never happens. Out of sight, out of mind.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:36 am

Mark Joseph Stern wrote: Kris Kobach is not having a good year. In January, the Kansas secretary of state’s voter-fraud commission disbanded in an effort to duck multiple lawsuits. In March, his claims of widespread noncitizen voting were torn apart in open court, reducing his defining crusade to a punchline. And on Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Julie Robinson held Kobach in contempt of court, holding that he’d flouted an order requiring him to register voters who could not show proof of citizenship. Robinson’s 25-page decision doesn’t just conclude that Kobach broke the law. It also lays out, in painstaking detail, just how inept his lawbreaking was.

[...]

Given the extent of Kobach’s misconduct, Robinson let him off lightly, ordering him to pay the attorneys’ fees the ACLU incurred in drafting and defending its contempt request. Notably, she also wrote that Kobach’s “history of noncompliance and disrespect for the Court’s decisions” may require more “specific, verifiable directives” when she issues her final ruling in the case, which is expected in the next few months.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:20 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:23 am

That's, uh...hm.

Actually kinda feels like a decent argument for civil asset forfeiture, at first glance. It seems pretty fundamentally different when the property being confiscated and charged with a crime is 30 abused animals.

As far as an actual legal distinction, though, I'm not sure the rationale is sound.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:08 pm

I don't have any superlatives left.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:26 am

The footnote kills me.