Mongrel in miniature land

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Mongrel in miniature land

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:04 pm

As mentioned, I have been doing minis stuff still. Our new game is something called Pulp Alley, which is basically a two-fisted fun 1930's pulp skirmish game. Heroic adventure, nazis, gangsters, lost temples, all classic Indiana Jones type stuff. The rules themselves are actually one of the best minis gaming rule sets I've ever seen - they're clean, simple, have a lot of room for alterations, and are generally really fun. People have been using them to do pirate adventures, cyberpunk, westerns, regular old fantasy, etc.

A fellow I know once called it "Kids On A Playground: The Minis Game", which really isn't that far off.

Your teams are called "Leagues" and are generally 3-10 figures (usually about 5). I'm taking pictures of mine today and posting them as I finish, so I'll probably have a couple posts in succession (sorry Kabbage)

The first one is called "Mrs. Donerwetter abroad", she's a rich old Pennsylvania Dutch cat lady who travels with her long-suffering butler Mr. Cassidy. The cats from left to right are: Mr. Tiggles, Thomasina, Jake & Elwood (single base - yes, I actually made a miniature version of our own real cats), and Schrödinger

Mongrel

Re: Mongrel in miniature land

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:20 pm

This is a "beginner" league (a good basic league with simple abilities) which was actually created (using the same figures) by the game's creator called "Pop Top's pirates" and which I have simply straight-up copied. It's a Chinese bandit/warlord/pirate gang (the terms were sort of interchangeable during the 1930's in much of northern China).

From left to right: Jung, Fingers, Pop Top, Jimmy Noh, and Joe.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Here are the Bogatyrs. This is a Soviet league mostly comprised of military figures all seconded to a unit no one's ever heard of and which receives its orders from a mysterious unknown source. The name comes from the fact that the three core characters are linked to, or perhaps descended from the medieval Russian knight-errant-heroes known as Bogatyrs. Perhaps Russian heroes aren't quite in vogue at the moment but in my defence I created this gang months ago.

From left to right: Politruk Pavel Chichikov, Izumrudnya Muromets, Major of Aviation, Katyusha Nikitich (or, "Katie Rockets"), Captain of Armoured Forces, Grigori Popovich, and Technical Lieutenant Igor Nelyubov

Thanks have to be given to the Russian members of the wargaming forum I go to, for their endless help with uniforms, background, and all the other ridiculous questions I had.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:03 pm

Here we have a young Belgian reporter for Le Pétit Vingtième, along with his coterie of friends.

If you can hear the captain swearing, I've done my job.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:12 pm

The rest of the minis I have so far are not leagues, but just assorted extras for use as objective markers, backup, league filler, and the like. The game offers several ways for leagues to pick up extra guys as a one-time bonus, so you need a pool of extra dudes on hand for that sort of thing.

First, some thugs. Everyone can use a nice truckload of utility thugs.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 pm

More extras. Here are some hoity-toity-types.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:42 pm

These are really, really good. If I find myself in need of a painted miniature, I'll probably start nagging you to do it for me for cheap.

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:52 pm

Mongrel wrote:Here we have a young Belgian reporter for Le Pétit Vingtième, along with his coterie of friends.

-image snipped-

If you can hear the captain swearing, I've done my job.

... I need to re-read Tintin, I've forgotten how the captain swears.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:09 pm

TA wrote:These are really, really good. If I find myself in need of a painted miniature, I'll probably start nagging you to do it for me for cheap.

I was asked about this before. I don't mind, but keep in mind I'm so slow I really have to turn down requests for more than a couple. My posts today represent all the minis I've painted since February, and this stretch actually represents the highest volume of figures I've ever painted before!

Anyway, here's the last batch for now. More extras. A professor-type (Pulp games love professor types!), a disgraced and cashiered ex-Soviet officer turned bandit and gunrunner who will serve as one of our villain-of-the-week types, and a priest with an eerie resemblance to our mayor.

François

Postby François » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Mille millions de mille sabords, quelle impressionnante bande de bachi-bouzouks! Je lèverai mon prochain Loch Lomond en ton honneur, mon garçon.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:00 pm

I love that Hergé just made up Loch Lomond so as to avoid the issues that come with using a real company's name, only to find out ten years later that that's a real (if obscure) brand.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:54 pm

The Professor is clearly a Time Lord.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 05, 2014 1:20 pm

We had our first game of Pulp Alley (Buge, Starr and I), a back-door arms deal gone bad, out in Siberia.

Here's the report if anyone's curious: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=66508.0

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:55 am

I painted more dudes.

Well, actually I painted them weeks and weeks ago. I just finally finished varnishing and basing them.

These were some extra Russian dudes. Scenario filler.

And some spirit animals to be summoned by my Soviet hero league. My crude attempts at a wolf, Eurasian brown bear, and golden eagle (I know the tail shape is not right for a golden eagle. I had to use the figure I had).

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:37 pm

Facial work on these is particularly nice.

Hot damn, that owl.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Mothra wrote:Hot damn, that owl.

Haha

>:[

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:25 pm

(Hot damn means good)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:33 pm

Mothra wrote:owl.

>:[

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:38 pm

Let me try.

Mothra wrote:Hot damn, that owl.
Mongrel wrote:My crude attempts at a wolf, Eurasian brown bear, and golden eagle (I know the tail shape is not right for a golden eagle. I had to use the figure I had).
Mongrel wrote:Image

François

Postby François » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:44 pm

Mothra's (haha i almost typed Mongra) adorable attempt at biology aside, that is some cool stuff. I recently picked up some clay and acrylic paint for something I had in mind for a while and if I can make any of it look one tenth as good as this I'll be right chuffed with meself. (Spoilers: I probably can't. But I gotta try.)