Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Grath

Re: Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Postby Grath » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:02 pm

mharr wrote:Are the forts physically simulated to the degree that building too high invites shooting out the foundations?

Yes and no - if you shoot out all of the support, everything that's no longer supported will collapse. But you can build a bridge across the map that's anchored by one point at a corner of the map, technically.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Friday wrote:How can I put this in terms you will understand, Mongrel.

Uhh...

Okay, TF2.

You know how TF2 lets the slower players still contribute by offering Medic, Engy, etc?

Imagine TF2, but everyone is forced to play a Scout, and you can build.

/AbeSimpsonWalkInAndOut.gif
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:40 pm

I play Overwatch because the "fast" character is only faster because her movement skill has a shorter cooldown.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:50 pm

Friday wrote:How can I put this in terms you will understand, Mongrel.

Uhh...

Okay, TF2.

You know how TF2 lets the slower players still contribute by offering Medic, Engy, etc?

Imagine TF2, but everyone is forced to play a Scout, and you can build.

WELL! Never mind then!

I've actually been thinking of doing some TF2 again, ever since they said it's still the top Steam game after all these years.

~Nostalgia~

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:52 pm

Brentai wrote:I play Overwatch because the "fast" character is only faster because her movement skill has a shorter cooldown.

It's still fast-paced, but yeah, this. The actual GAME speed isn't so bad. PLAYER speed in terms of APS/reactions is what makes it seem "fast".

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Apropos of nothing, I mostly play vs. AI because in my old age I've realized that I really don't like "killing" other, human players. I'm perfectly okay with brutalizing robots but PvP's always been sort of a negative-sum game for me: I feel bad when I win and even worse when I lose. So I keep thinking I should give Fortnite a shot to see if I even like it but the game setup is just so innately unappealing to me: Every single point you score means you personally ruined somebody else's entire run.

My 7 year old cousin is probably going to grow up to be kind of a cunt, but he's being raised by deep conservatives in the heart of Knoxville so that was almost a given.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:09 pm

And I think I might have soured on Splatoon 2 so quickly because the new matching algorithm stopped putting me in exclusively with kana names that I can't read.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Brentai wrote:I feel bad when I win and even worse when I lose.

Indie dev and all around good egg Tom Francis (https://www.pentadact.com) has been saying this for a while now. It's a great explanation for why some people just can't engage with PvP. Me, I'm a cat - competitive as hell provided I can confuse, hurt, misdirect and demoralise an opponent without needing to take them out of the game through anything so gauche as direct hit point reduction, nor risk the same nonsense for myself. I think most of my PvP career has targeted players nominally on my own team.

François

Postby François » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Brentai wrote:I play Overwatch because the "fast" character is only faster because her movement skill has a shorter cooldown.

When I played Overwatch, I figured I'd be pretty good with Genji because I've been playing Warframe for two years and his skillset reads like he's been transplanted directly from there, what with the melee and the wall running and the speed. But he's incredibly slow and clunky in comparison to even the heaviest frames, so I'm in a weird place where I should be doing okay with The Agile Dude but instead it feels like I have one hand tied behind my back all the time.

Of course, Warframe PvP is like watching a bunch of colorful robot mosquitoes zip around on bath salts, so you gain some you lose some.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:07 pm

I heard Fortnite called PUBG for the generation raised in Minecraft.
They lauded it as an early showing of the next generation of games designed for those kinds of players. For the kids who grew up in 3D games with all the freedoms that allows.

I've never been a twitch shooter (my medic and pyro time in TF2 can attest to that) and while it's tempting to lob this game in with sign of the times, I think it's more realistic now to just say "It's not for me"

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:09 pm

Hell, I still play a bunch of Splatoon 2 but basically only as support. Let the quick shooters fight each other, I'm going to focus on this little corner over here~

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:31 pm

mharr wrote:
Brentai wrote:I feel bad when I win and even worse when I lose.

Indie dev and all around good egg Tom Francis (https://www.pentadact.com) has been saying this for a while now. It's a great explanation for why some people just can't engage with PvP. Me, I'm a cat - competitive as hell provided I can confuse, hurt, misdirect and demoralise an opponent without needing to take them out of the game through anything so gauche as direct hit point reduction, nor risk the same nonsense for myself. I think most of my PvP career has targeted players nominally on my own team.

I always enjoy the sneaking and ambushes and mind games stuff the most. It's outwitting opponents which is satisfying; the killing is just a crude way of keeping score.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:34 am

Yeah, I think the only PvP metagame I ever really enjoyed was WoW Battlegrounds, and I think it was because the people who thought the matches were about killing the other team were usually the easiest to beat.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:55 am

One the most satisfying things I can do in Tanks is cap out when our team is clearly getting steamrolled by body count. It's like a fucking robbery.

Even when I'm not playing a sneaky rogue, I'm still trying to play like a sneaky rogue. I was always sad that I could never play Spy in TF2 because I just couldn't the dexterity required. But then again, I just ended up playing Spy Soldier or Spy Engie (or occasionally, to hilarious effect, Spy Heavy). ABF - Always Be Flanking.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Yeah, I think the only PvP metagame I ever really enjoyed was WoW Battlegrounds, and I think it was because the people who thought the matches were about killing the other team were usually the easiest to beat.

the best place to fight in AB is the roads because thats where I get the most kills

Inc 4 LM? more like I am on the road from farm to mines and I got sapped and then dismounted and am running around spamming aoe like a fucking idiot
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 pm

I am 100% down with the support lifestyle, not necessary always through heals, or as a bard. I remember good times in older BGs where I could make 3-4 guys take 10x longer than they needed to get an objective just through strategic sapping and blinding. Right now as I'm going against fully Legion-geared guys in my quick-catchup BfA starter set I do most of my pvp by guiding groups that could swat me like a fly slowly towards allies with similar tactics. I almost want to get a tattoo to commemorate when I was able to use an *archaeology item (toy by current definition) successfully in pvp.

Neverwinter Online I remember being good about this. In the arenas while everyone else was fighting on the main point I could just stealth cap back and forth on A and C with very little resistance.

I also grew to appreciate the title of "Space Janitor" that Smiler or Malikial or someone gave me in whatever version of Tribes was new at the time. It's very rewarding knowing that after ten games of going out to fight like everyone else that being the one person to stay back and repair in game eleven is about as important as the entire attack team put together.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:39 pm

beatbandito wrote:I am 100% down with the support lifestyle, not necessary always through heals, or as a bard. I remember good times in older BGs where I could make 3-4 guys take 10x longer than they needed to get an objective just through strategic sapping and blinding. Right now as I'm going against fully Legion-geared guys in my quick-catchup BfA starter set I do most of my pvp by guiding groups that could swat me like a fly slowly towards allies with similar tactics. I almost want to get a tattoo to commemorate when I was able to use an *archaeology item (toy by current definition) successfully in pvp.

Which item was that?

I know my wife started some PVP shenanigans with basically a toy (Rainbow Generator, which really pissed off a tauren DK for some reason), but I'm not sure she's ever actually turned the tides with one.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:55 pm

mharr

Postby mharr » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:47 pm

"It makes a ghosted replica of you, nearly the same opacity as when you see through stealth"

My God, and they thought they were coding a toy? That is a thing of glory.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Friday wrote:

the best place to fight in AB is the roads because thats where I get the most kills

Inc 4 LM? more like I am on the road from farm to mines and I got sapped and then dismounted and am running around spamming aoe like a fucking idiot

My favorite thing about the dedicated roadfighters is that they are without fail the people most dead-set against actually doing arena.

It's totally okay to just want to kill guys, my dude! They put in a whole game mode for just that!