WEREWOLF 101 (PT)

Moderators: Friday, LaserBeing

hngkong

Re: WEREWOLF 101 (PT)

Postby hngkong » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:43 pm

I still think beat is a more likely wolf, but Grath has been super suspicious.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:03 pm

gg wolves, which two of you three just won?

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:06 pm

Assuming you're inno, Grath, it's still possible that hng is a wolf and that the game isn't instantly over.

Either way, if the game isn't over, it means that either hng or Grath (or both) is a wolf.
ImageImageImage

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:14 pm

If Grath is innocent, the game is over. Wolves kill one of the 2 remaining innocents overnight and then they outnumber.

Postby Newbie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:24 pm

...good game, you guys! (In case it wasn't clear, this is my confession as a lycanthrope. I'll let my partner identify himself.)
tiny text

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:53 pm

When's the next game?

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Oh man, I'm the worst. :(

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:52 pm

If Grath is innocent, the game is over. Wolves kill one of the 2 remaining innocents overnight and then they outnumber.

No.

If Grath is innocent and hng is (was) a wolf, the game isn't over.

My previous assessment is correct: For the game not to be over, at least one of them had to be a wolf.
ImageImageImage

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Hey hey party people!
Luckily you killed a wolf and-

Wait. Grath was innocent?!

Bummer.

That's a wolfy win!
Congrats, furries!

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:00 pm

I'm sorry my role in this wasn't as smooth as I would have liked it to be. It's been a few years(!) since I ran a wolfgame here and at least a year since I've ran an in person game.

I'm a bit rusty and hope that didn't impact the game.

Looking back, I think it being our first game in a while, the innocents would have benefited from a Seer. But in a small game like this, I feel Seers are a gamble. With so few players, they have a good chance of just steamrolling the game.

What do you guys think?

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:49 pm

I've pretty much only played 8-9 person games with a seer unless it was VvW, so it was nice to try something different. I'd say yeah bring it back for the next one though.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:52 pm

Friday wrote:

No.

If Grath is innocent and hng is (was) a wolf, the game isn't over.

My previous assessment is correct: For the game not to be over, at least one of them had to be a wolf.

I don't understand your reasoning. If Newbie and hngkong were the wolves, they would have killed me or beatbandito and the game would be over. If beatbandito and hngkong were the wolves, they would have killed me or Newbie and the game would be over. Etc.

Apparently it was Newbie and beatbandito

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:00 am

There were 2 wolves and 5 total players. They need both of them to pile on and end the day. If hng is a wolf, they can't do that, because he's already voting. They needed an innocent to vote for an innocent.

That's why what I said was true: If the game didn't instantly end with hng voting; it meant either hng was a wolf voting for an innocent, hng was an innocent voting for a wolf, or hng was a wolf voting for a wolf.
ImageImageImage

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:14 am

I'm glad I at least called Newbie. If it was Beat I should've realized it because while Beat said Newbie was suspicious, Beat never actually voted for him (and the accusations were both of them calling the other suspicious on Day 2, but not actually voting.)

Postby Newbie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:21 am

I had too much fun with this game, y'all.

On night one, beatbandito nominated we kill kayma largely because there was no reason to and it couldn't be easily traced back to us.

After everybody had had a chance to respond to Friday's challenge on day two, I sent this PM to beatbandito & Lottel:

Newbie wrote:Taking everybody at their word about their Suspiciousness Rankings and making some assumptions about offhanded comments, I aggregated the results of what everybody has said so far. This is a list of current players ranked by suspicion:

1 LaserBeing
2 Friday
3 beatbandito
4 Grath and hngkong
5 Newbie
6 Caithness

However, you and I have privileged information and are not acting in good faith, so if I omit our lists, the results are instead as follows:

1 LaserBeing
2 Grath and Friday
3 hngkong
4 Caithness
5 beatbandito
6 Newbie

LaserBeing should be the easiest to kill, but that makes me want to avoid voting for him because it will be obvious that he's not a wolf and I'd just as soon not exonerate somebody that others are already suspicious of. I think the best person to lynch would be Grath; several folks are suspicious of him, he hasn't named either of us as a candidate for wolfdom so if Laser, Friday or Caithness hop on the vote, they look more sinister if it succeeds. I leave the question of whether it is better to mirror my vote, vote for me, or do something else altogether up to you.

Whatever happens, I think we need to kill Caithness during the night.

I had been planning to throw beatbandito under the bus the moment either of us had a serious vote, but once I realized how little the other players suspected us, that plan went out the window. (I was pretty nervous when you called me out about that, Grath!)

Once LaserBeing went down I changed my mind again:

Newbie wrote:Okay, here are three options I think are strong.

Option 1: Anybody who voted Laser looks suspicious, so we maximize the chances of one of those players getting lynched by killing the only living innocent to vote for Grath, i.e. Friday.

Option 2: We double down on our day 1 strategy by killing Grath ourselves.

Option 3: We stick with my earlier plan of eliminating the "least suspicious" player (at the time of polling; this may no longer be true). We kill Caithness.

Since beatbandito favored options 1 and 3, leaning toward 1, that's the route we took.

I rewrote my big day 3 post several times before finally posting it. At one point I even ran another mock election, but while I was trying to look like a tryhard, that was a little too much even for me.
tiny text

Postby Newbie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:56 am

Friday wrote:There were 2 wolves and 5 total players. They need both of them to pile on and end the day. If hng is a wolf, they can't do that, because he's already voting. They needed an innocent to vote for an innocent.

That's why what I said was true: If the game didn't instantly end with hng voting; it meant either hng was a wolf voting for an innocent, hng was an innocent voting for a wolf, or hng was a wolf voting for a wolf.

This makes perfect sense to me only if I assume you didn't see that both Caithness and I had already voted for Grath by the time of hgnkong's vote.
tiny text

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:31 am

I also went in originally pretending I wasn't teamed with newbie and acted like I was innocent to the best of my ability.

The only two differences from my actual inno plays are that I would have voted for Newbie on day 3 if not 2, and I overplayed my lack of suspicions on hngkong and then grath in an attempt to bring them down with me if I was hung.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:39 pm

I thought about voting for beatbandito instead of Grath, since I was very certain he was Grath's partner, but I was just getting tired of the game dragging on. I feel like I lost the game for us as much as you did, hngkong.

Let that be a lesson I guess: inactivity is great for the wolf team.

Postby Newbie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:36 am

Lottel wrote:Looking back, I think it being our first game in a while, the innocents would have benefited from a Seer. But in a small game like this, I feel Seers are a gamble. With so few players, they have a good chance of just steamrolling the game.

What do you guys think?

I definitely agree the innocent players need a little boost, but a seer does have a huge possible range of impacts. I was looking for something a bit less swingy, and I came up with a rules variant that I cannot remember whether we've ever played before:

Tragedy of the Commons Wolf
A small number of wolfsbane plants grow in the village commons. During the night phase, innocent players may secretly choose to attempt to use one of these plants to protect a different player; they may not protect themselves this way.

Once all innocent players have made their selection, if the number of selected players is equal to or fewer than the number of remaining wolfsbane plants, all selected players are immune to wolf attack that night, and that many plants is consumed. It does not matter how many innocent players try to protect a particular person; only one plant is consumed per person protected. If more players are selected than the number of available plants, nobody is protected in the ensuing chaos, but only one plant is consumed. Wolves cannot use wolfsbane whatsoever.

Two plants are available when play begins. If no plants were used during any night, another one grows the following day.

So here we have a sort of public wolfsbaner role. It requires a degree of coordination from the innocent players, but if everyone agrees on a player to protect before the day ends, there's no harm in every innocent selecting that player. However, the wolves are obviously unlikely to try to kill the player in question, so the possibility of extra plants and the potential to stockpile more gives innocents a bit of flexibility in stalling kills.

Furthermore, the fact that a wolf can't use wolfsbane gives the players a sort of community scry that they can use at the potential expense of a plant--if everybody agrees a certain player should be the designated baner that night, and that player winds up being innocent, the plant is used up, but that player is proven innocent. On the other hand, if day comes and no plant was used, you've now found a wolf.

I've been thinking through scenarios like this, and I think it has potential! Anything that further invests the innocent players and gives them more agency is a plus. I could probably run a game with these rules if y'all wanted to try it out.
tiny text

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:22 am

Sounds good to me!