nosimpleway

Re: Oh those pet peeves

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:27 pm

Yeah, of all the people to not know the difference between a .jpg and a .gif

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:40 pm

Friday wrote:Parental things...

It's a problem, too, when you must devote a certain portion of the day to making sure they're taken care of.
But at the same time, I think it'd be foul of me to complain too much.
More of a pet peeve...

Nothing to do with others, really. Mostly myself!
... You're always left wondering if you can do more, aren't you?..
At least, that's how I've been feeling, lately.

Niku

Postby Niku » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:58 am

my pet peeve right now is just how bad adele dazeem's rendition of defying gravity was in the halloween wicked special because i guess stripping all of the righteous power out of a song all about realizing one's righteous power is a choice to make

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:11 am

Can I confess that the title of this thread, compared with the much higher quality threads in the same subforum, peeves me?
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:33 am

Hey, this is, what, the fifth or six different version of this thread? We used up the good titles.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:23 am

eventually all the thread titles will just be things like "Annoyances" with posts like "Pain."
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:21 pm

I personally do my best to make thread title obtuse and dumb enough for people to miss basic informational titles.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:07 pm

That's how we ended up with two Transformers threads that don't have "Transformers" in their titles.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:42 pm

RING RING RING RING RING RING RING
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:44 pm

BANANAPHONE

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:09 pm

Thad wrote:That's how we ended up with two Transformers threads that don't have "Transformers" in their titles.

Also there's two music threads.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:02 am

two transformers threads ≠ two music threads

and Roger is the only person I'll let try to argue otherwise

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:53 am

You know, at one point I had more transformers than Roger.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:12 pm

Having the financial name of your company be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from your trade name/storefront/Kickstarter/whatever and NOT MENTIONING THIS ANYWHERE.

I don't know about anyone else, but my first reaction to completely unrecognized charges on my credit card is not "Hey I have never seen this name before, ever... yeah I'm sure it's fine."

I mean, the only reason I even figured it out at all (it was the Trogdor Kickstarter) is because I only have four recent credit card charges anyway, so I was able to make the connection of "Hey wasn't there that game thing? They did send out an email that they'd be billing for shipping soon and this kind of looks close after currency conversion? I guess I can check." and because the payment company had some nerdy name like Funny Junk Stuff or whatever it was, so I didn't immediately jump to the conclusion that it was a mistaken or fraudulent charge.

But even then the damn payment company name only appears buried in the FAQ and only after you open the payment subsection. :tilt:

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Regulation enforcement that goes against the intent.

TL;DRBIDIFBTL (too long; didn't read because I deleted it for being too long): On a job site we lock up all the inspected fire extinguishers when not in use, one company likes to leave their own extinguisher out at all times just in case. When there was no work on site the FDNY inspected it and declared the work site unsafe because the extinguisher didn't have proper inspection, despite being shown the fully inspected extinguishers in storage, because no one was working.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:22 am

"Your package was delivered to garage or an alternate location."

Cool, thanks, I don't have a garage and the apartment office was closed at the time you say the delivery was made. So I'll check with them when they open, but I get to play the goddamn guessing game about whether or not I need to now dig into making calls to USPS or Amazon or something to replace a missing package. We have created a complete hellworld for all mail carriers which in turn creates a hellworld for everyone receiving mail. It was a downpour all day yesterday and I would have much rather just had the delivery delayed by a day or two than play the MYSTERY PACKAGE LOCATION game because the driver didn't want to search out my apartment in the rain or something, but since we live in a society that will ram cars into babies if they don't GET THEIR GUARANTEED TWO DAY SHIPPING WHERE'S MY THIIIIING NOW NOW NOW they have to assume everyone will be like that and it's easier to just click the button that says "hey, I did my part".

I'm just genuinely annoyed at how the situation has gotten to this point far more than I am about any particular service or this mail carrier or anything.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:59 pm

TIL Optimum (local Cablevision, but it's also Altice or something?) last month decided to change the billing date on all accounts, but didn't feel any need to update automatic payments, and have just been charging late fees instead.

I found out with the current (last month) bill going in today, but since this is now not the end of the month anymore I'm somehow already late with next month's payment too, and of course they're not refunding anything because I should have known that one of the hundreds of emails they send with the subject "information about your plan!" was actual information and not "hey, you suuuuuuuure you don't want T.V. and phone?".

Oh, and the reason I was looking into it in the first place was my credit dropping from these showing up as late payment on accounts.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:38 am

Googling a problem with my phone since its last system update, to find that it is a feature.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:13 pm

It's been interesting, over the past 20 years, to see "it's not a bug, it's a feature" go from a joke I only heard from other CS students to a common and widely-used phrase among the general public.