"Unrest In the Middle East" - a valid headline for over 2000 years.

Bal

Re: "Unrest In the Middle East" - a valid headline for over 2000 years.

Postby Bal » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:42 pm

So, if you weren't aware, because you probably are already, but you need to boycott the WWE for doing a show directly at the behest (and pay of course) of the Saudi Royal Family. This is the second one. The first time people figured, whatever, WWE gets booked for weird shows like that sometimes, but this is after this whole murdering someone in an embassy affair.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:47 am

Meanwhile, Gaza attempted to break their sea blockade for the 13th time. Obviously they didn't break it, but the conflict did produce this:

That is some fucking Pulitzer shit right there.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:18 pm

That image, fuck...

Bal wrote:So, if you weren't aware, because you probably are already, but you need to boycott the WWE for doing a show directly at the behest (and pay of course) of the Saudi Royal Family. This is the second one. The first time people figured, whatever, WWE gets booked for weird shows like that sometimes, but this is after this whole murdering someone in an embassy affair.

Quoted whole thing for emphasis; Linda McMahon is still SBA Administrator, and as fun as wrestling is, it's important to remember that (at least back amidst the permafrost) it has been a hotbed of moneylaundering and other influence-deals for as long as I've been alive. That being said, I feel like the Kingdom didn't expect any sort of blowback at all.

If, Mongrel, that intelligence restructuring is what it looks like, it probably wasn't originally intended to prevent embarrassing little 'woopsaydaisies' like human disembowelment making their way out - in general, the Kingdom has done a good job of leaking enough to be 'fearsome' while walking the line.

But now, I absolutely bet it's going to be about sealing up leaks and putting a veneer over the bloody walls, so business as normal can resume.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:22 am

Mongrel wrote:That is some fucking Pulitzer shit right there.

Pulitzer, hell. That's Eugène Delacroix's Liberty Leading the People.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:56 pm

You never see the amused and/or confused looking guys in the background of these paintings.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:17 pm

Oh and the IDF also shot and killed the guy in the above photo a week or two ago, because of course they did.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:32 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Guardian: Saudi Arabia to notify women of divorce by text message

This is apparently an upgrade from the current practice of not telling them at all. How very liberal of them!

Da_Beerman

Postby Da_Beerman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:08 pm

Mongrel wrote:Guardian: Saudi Arabia to notify women of divorce by text message

This is apparently an upgrade from the current practice of not telling them at all. How very liberal of them!

This, along with allowing "expression of love" in valentines day signifies the coming second Arab spring, Thomas Friedman told me so.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Reform!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 pm

thread

Worth the read. These events in Lebanon helped define our modern view of terrorism - and how we respond to it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:45 pm

It's not just a "google translate error" as some are claiming, by the way. The wording is a transcription from a youtube video on Bibi's official channel which has since been pulled down.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:49 pm

A desperate Bibi plumbs new lows, even if it means taking the entire state of Israel down with him.

WaPo: Netanyahu’s election rivals merge as Israeli leader makes pact with extreme right

JERUSALEM — Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu came under mounting criticism Thursday for making a pact with an extreme far-right political party, while his two main rivals in upcoming elections pledged to run on a joint ticket out of “national responsibility.”

Former army chief of staff and political newcomer Benny Gantz and Netanyahu’s longtime opponent, Yair Lapid, who have been polling in second and third place respectively, announced that they would join forces to run on a joint party list, ramping up pressure on the incumbent leader as he battles corruption allegations.

The announcement came just hours after Netanyahu’s Likud party said it had succeeded in a surprising push to get three right-wing factions to join forces in a move that Netanyahu hopes will ensure he can form a coalition in the next government.

Controversially, one of those parties is Otzma Yehudit, or Jewish Power, made up of followers of Meir Kahane, an ultranationalist American Israeli rabbi. Israeli commentators and American Jewish groups immediately decried the move, saying the faction was clearly an offshoot of Kahane’s Kach party, a group that is designated a terrorist organization by the State Department and banned in Israel.

It was outlawed in Israel in 1994 after one of the party’s supporters, Baruch Goldstein, fatally shot 29 Palestinians as they prayed at a mosque in Hebron. The group had advocated banning mixed relationships and expelling non-Jews from Israel.

The Jewish American magazine Forward compared the deal to striking an agreement with Israel’s equivalent of the Ku Klux Klan.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:08 pm

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:04 pm

Right in time for Eurovision!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:46 pm

This is where we are now.

A leader of a political party IN FUCKING ISRAEL is openly running as a capital-F Fascist.

And remember, however minor the party may be on paper, they're part of the arch-conservative gang that Bibi's brought to together. They're not just electable, they very well may be in the next government.

I can't even.

Like, we've already broken the Onion. I don't even know where we go from there.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:22 pm

Can't be the victims if you're running the gang, I guess?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:44 am

Haaretz: Israel Forces Palestinian to Raze His and His Daughter’s Homes With His Own Hands

It’s all done according to the law, by the book. And all of it reflects the policy of occupation in Jerusalem: Embitter the lives of the Palestinian residents, fill them with despair and maybe they’ll finally leave their city. Treat them with a heavy hand, torment them.

Some of their neighborhoods have no official master plan, so it’s not possible to build. Or maybe there is a master plan but it allows for hardly any construction. It’s the same as what’s happening in the Arab communities within Israel, but much more severe.

This is the epitome of the occupation and the epitome of apartheid. The Palestinian population of the capital has increased fivefold since the start of the occupation in 1967. Palestinians now constitute 40 percent of the Jerusalem’s residents, but not one new neighborhood has been built for them in a city that has grown to monstrous proportions, and where legions of new neighborhoods have been built for Jews.

In the annexed Palestinian neighborhoods and villages, there’s no way to get a building permit – and as it is, there’s nowhere to build. Earlier this week, Nir Hasson reported in Haaretz that the Jerusalem Planning and Building Committee rejected some 20 applications submitted by Palestinians for residential building permits, asserting that the municipality is no longer willing to abide by a decades-old procedure by which Palestinians could prove land ownership. Hasson noted that 90 percent of the land in Palestinian neighborhoods is unregistered – there is no way to establish ownership and no way to obtain building permits. The result: “illegal construction.”

The self-demolition derby has heated up in the last several weeks. According to the Israeli human rights group B’Tselem, 13 homes in East Jerusalem have been completely demolished and two others partially destroyed since the beginning of the year – all of them by the do -it-yourself method. In all of 2018, only 10 homes were demolished this way. In this city of destruction, where more than 800 Palestinian homes have been razed in the past 15 years, leaving 2,800 people, 1,500 of them children, without a roof over their heads, over 100 homes were demolished by the owners themselves.

Ir Amim, a non-profit organization working toward a more equal Jerusalem, says the scale of construction without a permit in East Jerusalem is vast, and stems primarily from the planning and building policy of the municipality and the national government. During the decade-long tenure of Nir Barkat, who was mayor until late last year, the city promoted development of Jewish neighborhoods, with 15,000 new residences being constructed. During the same period, only two detailed plans were put forward by authorities (but not approved) to develop Palestinian neighborhoods, with a total of 1,000 residences authorized. Last week, the municipality signed an agreement with the Israel Lands Administration to finance the construction of another 23,000 units – all of them in the city’s Jewish neighborhoods.

But the problem is far more extensive than that. There are some East Jerusalem neighborhoods where most of the homes have been the subject of demolition orders. In the Ras al Amud section, for instance, where we visited this week, about 8,000 people live under the threat of their home being razed. It’s not hard to imagine life under the shadow of such an order: the legal battle, as desperate as it is expensive, to get a few months’ extension, and then another extension before the bulldozers are sent in. The resident can choose between doing the wrecking himself or reimbursing the city for the service, at a cost that can range between 80,000 and 130,000 shekels ($22,000-$36,000).

An old plan exists for Ras al Amud, one that was drawn up without the residents’ knowledge or participation. According to that, the land that Subah bought 13 years ago, which already had a small house on it, is earmarked for public buildings. The plan states that about half of the Ash Sheikh neighborhood that he lives in, which is part of Ras al- Amud, is to be used to expand the Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives. It’s not just living Jews who are privileged over the indigenous Palestinians, but now the rights of dead Jews eclipse theirs, too. The Jewish cemetery lies a considerable distance from Subah’s densely populated neighborhood. Will the homes here be demolished for the benefit of the deceased to come?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:31 pm

All-in now. Here we go.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Israeli election too close to call. I'm seeing most exit polls showing Blue and White slightly ahead, so there's a real possibility that Bibi is out, but I don't think we should get our hopes up any farther than "cautious optimism" yet.

We should know more tomorrow.