(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

Büge

Re: (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Animes

Postby Büge » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:08 pm

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Is that a takeoff on something else or an original creation of that pixiv dude?

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:15 pm

I think it's just a short.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:48 pm

Büge wrote:I think it's just a short.

I dunno. There's another (as-yet untranslated) strip further down the thread which continues the story.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:59 pm

Alien Nine is Gantz by way of Card Captors. Originally I was trying to compare it to Madoka Magica but other than some similar themes it's really not the same thing.

In the distant future of 2014-6 aliens are so common place that every school has a club whose duties are to remove them without causing disturbance. At Elementary School 9, club activities quickly get out of hand, and leave the three members questioning the aliens and their sense of self.

It's a mix of suspense thriller and goreless bodyhorror, but neither gets particularly deep. What starts out as a creepy feeling of the unknown gets kind of botched when mid-way through they start expositing as if the author thought intentions had been crystal-clear up to that point. There's no great reveal or morally poignant ending, just a general sense of malaise and pity for the main characters with enough interesting beats to keep you reading.

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:22 pm

it was out of my head

it was out of my heeeeeeead you motherfuckeerrrrrrr

(it will come as no surprise to anyone who knows my tastes that i fucking love alien 9, though i admittedly don't remember a lot about what happens in the back half of the manga what with the stuff that got animated having latched itself more strongly into my brain but also the shit that happens with kumi is still straight fucked yo)

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:45 pm

Funimation's youtube channel has a bunch of full series (playlist link)
It's a lot of stuff I don't recognize, and some stuff I wish I didn't, but there are some winners mixed in like Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Mushi-Shi.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:13 pm

I'm a fucking idiot and always assumed the "undertaker made himself a mansion of wood" line from the beginning of Trigun was because of undertakers work with wood to make coffins, and just realized it's because wood is one of the rarest resources on the planet.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:22 am

Catching up on Attack on Titan since I keep hearing promises it's going to end. The army stuff has gone very generic, almost like active backpedaling from complaints, but with the most recent Mikasa revelation I'm realizing that every female character is really being completely robbed of their... character.

Krista I was willing to let them marry off into baby-making outside of the story since 1) her thing was already pretty much just 'self sacrifice' and 'everyone loves' so it kind of worked and 2) they really wrote into a corner with her whole Historia bullshit.

Sasha is renowned for her natural hunter instinct, lets down her guard long enough for a soldier basically next to her to be killed, and for children to scavenge his gear and board the blimp, then picks it back up just in time to react first and catch a bullet.

Hange was smart and a careful planner, but basically all her recent discoveries and decisions were undone by Eren's cult and Yelena's secret plans that we could have easily been shown a few chapters before we were instead just told.

Mikasa is a good fighter and protective of Eren because she's of a special bloodline with Titan powers in human form and who also protect the Eldian bloodline. Which, depending on how bad the translations I'm reading are, means either she should have been completely obedient to any Eldian like, say, her biological father. Or that they forgot the timeline that Eren hadn't gotten the founding titan juice yet when they met.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:30 pm

I rewatched the full run of Samurai Champloo over the past few nights. Inspired by Nujabes' music, I realized I really had no idea what was actually happening in the show.

Turns out what little I remembered was pretty much it, it's 24 episodes of filler then two episodes giving the entire explanation for why the things that kept happening did. There's a little character exploration before the very end, but it's really just one two-parter for Mugen and like three separate episodes that follow the same premise for Gene. Also Fuu is kidnapped like 5 times, 2 directly into sex slavery.

I mean, it was fun to watch again, but I definitely understand why it never passed the pasta test despite all the fun, there's really just not enough there to stick.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:05 pm

Yeah, looking back on it I think the lack of even the most paper-thin continuity rubbed the wrong way after Bebop.

In other news, I watched the three Godzilla CG movies on Netflix - Planet of the Monsters, City on the Edge of Battle, Planet Eater - and they all uniformly suck maximum ass.

Kinda just, broadly dismal, no impact to any action, all the aliens races exist to betray the humans, pads everything out as much as possible, yadda yadda.

Only good stuff was the backstory snippets where the entire death was defeated my monsters, and Gidorah's new design, which I liked mainly because it wasn't his usual p. shitty design.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:18 pm

I always have fond memories of Champloo because of the sheer madness that is the baseball episode, but as far as my memory's concerned, that's the only episode of the series at all.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:26 pm

Not even the one about the giant, gay, Dutch diplomat?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:29 pm

beatbandito wrote:Not even the one about the giant, gay, Dutch diplomat?

Oh yeah!

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Champloo is all about style over substance. It's cool and I love it but yeah it's impossible to remember except for the really outrageously weird stuff.

Bebop was also very much style > substance but only on the surface. The deeper threads of Faye finding her home (hint: it isn't her old house on Earth) and Spike's blood feud with Vicious are played entirely straight.
ImageImageImage

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:54 am

I mean, there's the baseball episode and...

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Bal wrote:I mean, there's the baseball episode and...

...the one about the giant, gay, Dutch diplomat.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:59 pm

Come on, Kingdom. One character that's a girl disguised as a boy is fitting for the period. Two is like "okay I guess this works in a region where a grandma voices superman". But now we're at the point where I'm forced to assume every character in a helmet or mask hides a secret vagina.

It's p. good overall. Not game changing, but I've breezed through 200 chapters without any real downbeats. Can't seem to decide if war is romantic or horrible, though.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Shin of the Hi Shin Unit supports trans rights

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:06 am

JoJo's Part 5: GioGio's Bizarre Adventure has peaks and valleys but is generally not as good as 4; too many fights, not enough weird bullshit. Plus it's basically 3 except instead of everyone fighting not to disappoint Jojo they're fighting to spite GioGio.