We've Heard This Story Before - Let's Play Final Fantasy Tactics!

nosimpleway

Re: We've Heard This Story Before - Let's Play Final Fantasy Tactics!

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Ramza teleports back down and tries to take some pressure off before reviving Grukk again. Needless to say this is inadequate.

But whereas Grukk had Damage Split as her best non-Shirahidori counter move, Ramza has Hamedo.

This is pretty effective at both preventing damage and hastening the end of the fight. Good job, Ramza!

That's a less good job, Ramza!

Wanda is on her way back over, but can't get close enough to target a Raise 2. So she drops Shiva instead, managing to take out the other enemy Ninja.

Ramza won't get another chance to Revive, so I hope Wanda makes it over here soon!

Instead of dropping dead, the enemy Thief just loses Death Sentence and goes about his day as usual. Turns out you can't autokill anyone who's wearing a Judo Outfit.

*sigh*

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:30 pm

Things aren't going so hot inside the courtyard, either. Rather than try to Night Sword for 7 damage a turn, Gafgarion has chosen to just swing his sword for normal Attack hits. The reason he can't do any significant damage is because he's got the Nagrarok, a Knightsword that has attack power 1 but sometimes turns its target into a toad.

Ramza teleports in to wait for Paralyze to shake off, so he can Stigma Magic the frogginess away from Bracamarte. For his trouble he is himself turned into a toad.

Hey, guess what spell is missing from the White Mage skill list in this seed! (It's Esuna.)

It's up to Wanda and Grist, and Wanda's out of MP after a couple ineffectual Raises, casting Cura on the enemy, and a couple of summons. Thankfully the Limit skills added to her skillset let her do MA-based damage without spending MP.

I'd love to steal that Nagrarok off of Gafgarion, but it turns out his Counter skill is MP restore. Which means he has access to his suite of Summon magic again, as he'd exhausted himself on those before he started swinging Nagrarok around.

So Grist just stabs him in the head. Ramza temporarily transforms back into a human to smugly big Gafgarion farewell, then resumes life as a toad. Gafgarion instantly crystallizes like he usually does, and Wanda picks it up for the HP/MP restore.

These two spend most of the rest of the fight grinding some JP by smacking one another with their tiny feeble amphibian arms. I don't axolotl you two, so you might as well do something.

We're outside the reach of their magic, so one of the Oracles outside has started busting a move. It neatly and efficiently undoes any of the boosts that Grist managed to achieve earlier.

It takes a few minutes of real time before I can get Wanda to teleport into range and target the Thief with a summon that will go off before he gets a turn to Charm her. I finally manage to get the AT to line up...

This would have worked if he hadn't eaten Grukk earlier.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:35 pm

Thankfully he's more interested in stealing from Grist than charming Wanda. Since I have in-battle notifications turned off, I don't know what he stole, and given the stresses of this fight forgot to check. Mental note: next time I boot up the game, make sure that wasn't my Air Knife.

The enemies have obligingly grouped together for another Summon blast.

The dancin' Oracle decides she needs a more direct approach, and switches from Slow Dance to Wiznaibus. Slow Dance was probably more effective...

Cheese and crackers that was rough. And poor Grukk is gone forever.

Grukk is gone forever during the first part of a two-part battle, no less. I'll need someone else to step in and take over.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:40 pm

It's kind of funny. At the Golgorand Gallows I noted that I could have gotten up for a sandwich while all the Ninja took their turns. At the beginning of the Lionel ambush I did get up from my desk to go deal with an upset toddler, and came back to see Grukk sucking pavement. And at the beginning of the Cuchulainn fight I had to get up and miss the first turn again, which Cuchulainn used to drop a Nightmare.

Anyway, trap #3, SURPRISE LUCAVI LOL enjoy some Sleep/Death Sentence

Sticking with a job in hopes of outspeeding your opponent can leave much to be desired with regards to power output.

Agrias obligingly steps in. She doesn't get Non-Charge in her Holy Knight skillset like the generic troops do out of their Squire, which is a little bit of a bummer.

"I won't need Shirahidori", I said to myself, "the Lucavi use their magic to kill me, not physical attacks."

Pictured: Cuchulainn dropping Wanda with a physical attack.

This also went downhill very fast. Well, if I Game Over, I'll restart from outside Lionel and see if I can't keep Grukk from dying...

Then Grist manages to finally teleport out of the corner and shoot Cuchulainn in the face with a lightning bullet.

Oh well. Grukk, you will be missed.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:48 pm

I realized during the castle gate ambush that I had fallen behind in experience levels again, so I went a-hunting for Poach equipment and some EXP. I also needed to bring Agrias up to speed, since she didn't have any of the job training Grukk did.

I'm a little wealthier since Agrias can't get Accumulate and I use Steal Gil as her go-to JP grinding skill. Everyone's Brave is much higher, thanks to Ramza's incessant cheerful attitude. Once Agrias gets Lightning Stab, she moves to Priest for Equip Sword and Teleport, which I earn by doing bar propositions. After a short stint as a Summoner Agrias picks up Shirahidori and moves back to Holy Knight to finish up her skill list.

Apparently job levels in Samurai feed into unlocking the Black Mage job, in some combination with others. Wanda has graduated to a new level of spellcaster.

...one that can Non-Charge Meteor. Hmm...

I'll gloss over the grind fights themselves. Zirekile Falls from the south put me against two enemy Agriassesses and like five Byblos. Coming from the north was just a Plague Horror, a Hydra, and a Tiamat.

Ramza is finishing up as an Archer, and managed to make this shot from the opposite corner of the map, thanks to the longbow's boosted range from elevation.

The Genji Shield was the only real prize from any of the Poached monsters. And, of course, I have no idea which one it was.

Final discovery: job levels in Black Mage are what's needed to unlock Lancer, and Wanda has been generous enough to share some leaked JP with everyone. Soon enough I'll solve the problem of having to choose between Move distance and Move versatility...

Kishi

Postby Kishi » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:34 am

Just got done reading the whole thread from the start. Love the posts.

nosimpleway wrote:Wait a second...

Hey, that's one of mine! Good use.

nosimpleway wrote:Image
Either this is a map version of the giant sigil that Rofel uses to banish everyone from the bottom of the Orbonne basement library to the Necrohol, or we're fighting on the save data screen.

Maybe both, I dunno, maybe they're the same thing.

It's the map used in one of the demo FMVs. That's a pre-rendered movie, though, so it's kind of funny it's still sitting in the game, unused.

I wonder what it is about Zeakden that destroys Delita's sprite. And that army of Zalmos is...concerning.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:57 pm

RUMBLE CHAOS CRASHDOWN: part 9

Oh yes, Teleport 2 is very much OK.

ahahahahahaha

hahahahahahaha!!

aaaaaaahHA HA HA HA HA!!

Oh, you're just jealous.

Even without free movement anywhere on the map, this is an easy fight. You'd have to go out of your way to disable Olan for Goland to be any bother at all.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:58 pm

"Nice office, very defensible. This opening makes a nice chokepoint to drop a Meteorain."

Everyone's already lined up for the for-realsies Zalmo fight before Ramza and Alma have their prebattle conversation.

Anyway, check this out.

Instant spellstarter!

fwooooooooosh

wheeeeeeeee craaaaaaash

This battle lasted all the way until Wanda finished her first turn.

"Yeah, I wasn't anywhere near where the giant ball of burning rock fell out of the goddamn sky. And caused a rainstorm, apparently. It wasn't raining a second ago."

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:00 pm

By leveling enough to fight Gafgarion's ambush and Cuchulainn, I got overleveled for those two fights. Not that it mattered much either way, but I want to play a randomizer seed doing things I can't do in vanilla, not just powerleveling and steamrolling everything.

So I went to Fovoham Plains, one of the maps that I've found random traps still on, without surprising boss fights in random encounters. I teleported around until I found the Degenerator, the trap that takes a level away each time someone steps on it. Then I had everyone take turns tapdancing on it.

There's a trick to it, but it's one that's pretty well known. As I said at Goug, different jobs accrue HP, MP, PA, MA, and Speed at different rates. Summoners get really great MP growth! And really crappy PA growth. Lancers get great PA growth! And really crappy MP and MA growth. Ninjas get really good Speed growth! and so on

When you step on a Degenerator, it reverses the effects of the last level-up you got, but it does that under the assumption that you were in the same job for both the level-up and the level-down. So take, say, Squire or Bard -- jobs with low growth rates across the board. Over the use of multiple Degenerators, that slow growth is applied in reverse as a slow decay. You lose less stats overall by carefully choosing which job to level down in.

You can then level back up in jobs with better stat growth, and by the time you reach the level you were before, you're more powerful than you were the first time. Everyone in the party is back to level 20 now. By the time they're level 40-ish again, they'll have stats like they're level 50 or so. I'll probably end up doing this again, since I want to see what I can Poach from monsters, and that's a lot of random encounters to fight.

Pictured here: some damn good Poaching stuff. There's a pile of katanas that regular stores aren't selling yet. That's the strongest Bow in the game, there. And while it's not the strongest rod, the Faith Rod is probably the most useful because whoever is carrying it is treated as having 100 Faith for spellcasting purposes.

During those extended level-down fights, I had people practice in whatever jobs they were least proficient in. I unlocked the rest of the jobs that way. Dancers are pretty standard except they have Fira in addition to their dancing skills. Knights picked up all those spells I was missing from the Oracle list, at the cost of losing Speed Break.

It also means that Wanda and Agrias got enough practice to unlock Lancer, then to pick up Teleport 2. Now everyone has it! AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Anyway. Rumble Chaos Crashdown generates a spoilers file if you shuffle jobs, job stats, or poaching that lists what those things are. So after I'd already unlocked all the jobs (though not necessarily all the jobs for any one person), I find the list that points me exactly where I need to go.

Oh well. I can at least compile the information into a list of what any one soldier needs to unlock everything. Not much practice in Monk, lots in White and Black Mage.

It also gives me a hint toward which jobs are best for stat growth when it comes to Degenerator trickery.

Shame about the Poach list, though. Spoiling that actually takes away some of the surprise... although in this case I guess it also spares me the frustration of not knowing which monster dropped which item in the latest pile of treasure. And means I know which monsters I can zap with magic instead of making sure to kill with a weapon. Eh, it's fine.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:05 pm

Party breakdown. Everyone is at level 20 thanks to Degenerator abuse. It was that or head into the battles in the middle of Chapter 3 at the experience level I beat up Hashmalum and Ultima last time...

Ramza
Brave 97, Faith 70. 
Mastered (chapter 3 super-)Squire, Chemist, Archer, Monk, Thief, Mediator, Geomancer, Lancer, Ninja, Bard, and Mime.
All the extra JP from those Zalmos in Warjilis really helped fill out a lot of skill lists! Also nothing says "I've run out of meaningful jobs to grind JP in" than Mastering Lancer.
Currently a Samurai, dual-wielding Muramasa and shouting his unique kiai at everyone.

Grist
Brave 95, Faith 59
Mastered Squire, Chemist, Monk, Thief, Geomancer, and Mime.
Is 24 JP away from Mastering Bard, too. All he needs is to pick up Fly, which is utterly redundant in the face of Teleport 2 so I don't really care.
Currently a Knight, sticking to his exclusive training in fightin' jobs. Punch Art is his secondary, since Knight has some useful spells in their list and a decent MA, but not much in the way of MP. So I gave him the ability to Chakra back his own.

Bracamarte
Brave 97, Faith 46
Mastered Squire, Archer, Thief, Mediator, Geomancer, Ninja, and Mime.
Currently a Monk, which as usual is as much a backup healer as it is for the ATATATATATATATATA. Running Steal as her secondary, since bare hands + attack up + teleport 2 to always get behind your target = best stealing chances, and somebody in Orbonne might have something good

Mustadio:
Has not seen a battle since he joined the party.

Agrias
Brave 91, Faith 69 (nice)
Has Mastered Holy Knight, Chemist, Mediator, and Mime.
Filling in for Grukk, who died at the end of Chapter 2 outside Lionel, Agrias has caught up relatively quickly. I'm definitely glad the game patches in double JP! She's got some odd jobs under her belt, but that's because she doesn't have a regular Squire job to fall back on during idle times. While everyone else did usual grinding (or anti-grinding, I guess) stuff, Agrias was the one actually killing monsters. And since monsters have counterattacks, it's good to shoot them with a gun from far away. Thus, Chemist and Mediator practice.
Currently a Geomancer; she tends to focus on jobs that let her use Holy Sword as a secondary ability without wasting the S-Ability slot on Equip Sword. She's probably going to be a Knight soon!

Wanda
Brave 96, Faith 70
Mastered; Squire, Black Mage, White Mage, Geomancer, and Mime.
Wanda got earmarked as the party mage way back at the very beginning, on account of having a not-terrible Faith. I guess I could train Agrias up in magic jobs, too, since Holy Sword is based on MA and Agrias's Faith is only a point less. 
I'm pretty sure something like 80% of Wanda's training in any fighting job is thanks to leaked JP or maybe eating a soul somewhere. I think she spent a fight or two as a Samurai in order to unlock some of the other magic jobs.
She can be an Arithmetician and has a few Math skills already, but Teleporting into a crowd and dropping a Non-Charge Meteor on them is already powerful enough, as Zalmo discovered. I'm probably good.
Currently a Time Mage. Likely to be an Oracle for the foreseeable future (ha ha). Then Summoner, I guess? Since no job got Treasure Hunt for a Move ability there's really no point in going into Deep Dungeon to get Zodiark. Aw man, probably one of the unique character jobs got Treasure Hunt. I hope it's Rafa.
Black Magic is her secondary, on account of DO THE METEO NOW, BY WHICH I MEAN RIGHT NOW

Still taking suggestions for name changes if anybody's got any. Grist, in particular, has outlived the reason he's named that.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:58 pm

RUMBLE CHAOS CRASHDOWN part 10

Well, let's roll into Orbonne and let the enemy have not only the Zodiac stone that's there but the stones we collected from elsewhere too. This is a good idea.

Agrias didn't become a Knight, actually, she became a Ninja. So she spends the next several fights leaping headfirst into danger before anyone else can move, but not really being able to seal the deal on KOing anything.

This ends predictably.

Uh, thanks for pointing that out, random Guest character.

Thief Guest Guy gets the swag hit on a thrown rock and knocks a Black Mage down to a lower level for an extra 66 damage.

That's just too good to pass up. Agrias takes a hit too, but that'll at least uncharm her.

Stupid Gaia Gear.

*sigh*

The bottom row perfect for Earth Slash on all the enemies is also pretty good for Holy Explosion on all my allies, so I just drop some glaciers on the last two guys and wrap up.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:10 pm

Uh... literally "us" in this case...

...which one?

Nice hat, Izlude-alpha. Really wishin' I had access to Steal Helmet right about now. Izlude-beta's got a Genji Glove, but I can't swipe that either.

I can take the Platinum Sword, though, since that's a better longsword than is available in shops. Gotta take Beta's bog-standard shield first, though.

Like the last run, this battle is easier than it is in vanilla because Izlude has his bullshit full-screen Jump abilities replaced by plain ol' regular Limit skills.

These two Oracles are actually pretty harmless, since they don't have the jump to get down from this ledge.

Anyway, I'm gonna buy a little time to let the various Oracles crystallize. That means chopping down those Limit skills I mentioned a second ago.

Got that sword, too. Not that this hurts Beta's attack power any, for whatever reason.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:11 pm

There we go. Cross-Slash does 36 damage now, instead of over 100.

Agrias picks up some pretty random skills.

*sigh*

Once Agrias is uncharmed and healed up a little, she can't quiiiiiite reach with her Holy Sword, so I try her one Faith skill. Surprising no one, it activates only three times and whiffs each time.

I've got to replace that Angel Ring with an N-Kai Armlet.

All right, that's an Izlude down, can I go now?

Nope. Gotta take out Izlude-beta.

(not difficult at this point)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:17 pm

Wiegraf's got a legion of backup dancers on stage. Plus one Rafa.

First things first, let's get that Platina Mail off you. That's also better than what's in shops.

After that it's business as usual. Bushido is more reliable than swinging a katana, since Wiegraf has both a shield and a cloak.

Of course, a shitton of Dancers can lead to blood on the dance floor from anywhere on the map, and the last thing I need is to have my PA, MA, and Speed wrecked while I'm up against Wiegraf. Wanda obligingly roasts the crap out of as many Dancers as can be reached by one spell.

Non-Charge is pretty nice, I don't think I ever have reason to cast Firaja in vanilla.

Bracamarte lands a fortunate hit. Wiegraf counters for the KO...

suddenly, fire spells, fire spells out of nowhere

Good job killing your own boss trying to light one of my guys on fire after they were already dead. You know what would fix this sort of thing? Non-Charge.

Anyway, just like Miluda in the last run, I'm probably going to get blamed for killing Wiegraf even though one of his own backup dancers did it.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:22 pm

RUMBLE CHAOS CRASHDOWN: part 11

Grog Hill filler battle, nobody cares.

Olan tries to ride in on a piggy.

Those two people nobody cares about are having an argument with one of them standing on the city walls.

Malak dashes out on to thin air and somehow slaps his sister standing like 30 feet away, behind him.

Rafa has an interesting choice of Counter ability, since she's supposed to be low-Brave, high-Faith (while Malak is high-Brave, low-Faith).

Foiled by Gaia Gear again!

whoops, guess there's no time to wait for anyone to crystalize

The enemies here are Bards, mages, and Malak. It's fine.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:09 am

On to the next filler battle, the undead-infested castle gate/forest/forest gate

I could fix that with Stigma Magic.

But Agrias has leapt headfirst into danger again and needs more support.

No more magic glowing flying cat poop.

And Wanda can do fine with her Healing Staff.

We've got a caster who can't cast, and a caster who can cast but it won't do anything anymore. This is going to be a noodle-armed slap fight.

We progress.

Holy Sword isn't affected by Faith, chucklehead.

Even if I didn't have Teleport 2, reaching the Time Mage inside the castle gate isn't really a problem. Wanda bonked her ghost double into submission, and that's that.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:34 am

Malak leaves as soon as Rafa gets KOed at the Riovanes front gate, so I might as well strip her of her equipment.

But enough story battles have passed that I need to catch up in levels again. I'm sure the enemy levels in Riovanes will spike, and while I could probably find a solution if I run into the dead-ends that are Belias or Elmdor's assassins sooner or later, I'd rather not make things needlessly difficult.

So I'm gonna go see what I can Poach for a while.

Oh, hey. Speaking of Elmdor's assassins, there's Celia and Celia in a random battle in Belias Swale.

Agrias teleports over to see if I can take down one of the Celias with her double-ninjato. The second hit crits, which pushes Celia back a space and into critical HP. So she's going to run away rather than close in and Stop Breath on her turn, so she settles for stapling Agrias's shadow to the ground instead.

The only problem is that everyone else is still recovering from Wanda getting OHKOed, so there's no one to finish off the critical Celia. What I did know is that the Chemist would probably heal her up whenever her turn came around. I did not know is that this Chemist knows how to brew and apply Elixirs.

Well, one Celia down, and Wanda's feeling better.

Things continue to go downhill downriver.

But Wanda feeling better means a lot of other people don't.

I mean, obvs

Okay, that's two Celias. What a nasty surprise to run into.

I revive the piggumms that I Thundajaed along with Celia and Chemist, so I can Poach him. I wait for the humans to crystallize, but Celia-alpha didn't teach Agrias anything, Celia-beta turned into a treasure chest, and the Chemist I could get Elixir from... also turned into a treasure chest. Go figure.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:46 am

One of the boars obligingly turned into its rare Poach, the technically-second-best-but-attack-power-equal-to-the-best-so-who-cares ninjato. Agrias still needs a regular longsword to do her Holy Sword, but her second hit is now appreciably stronger than her first.

The other boar turned into an Elixir, so I guess I technically got Elixir in that battle.

You can get different encounters coming into dangerous areas from different directions. Celias attack when I go to Belias Swale from the south, but from the north things look a lot easier to control.

poach poach poach poach poach

Neat, the best katana in the game. The other Malboros turn into Perseus Bows, like the ones during my level-down grind.

chirijiradenshokuken is a pretty cool guy

A hydra at Zirekile Falls turns into an auto-Haste perfume, neatly solving the issue where Knights are molasses-slow. It doesn't do anything for their middling PA and MA, but if I can at least get moving then I can master the job and slap Chivalry onto another, faster job's secondary skill slot. Grist has been a Knight for a while, but is starting to fall behind. I make Bracamarte a Knight instead and Grist moves to Lancer, which has top-tier Speed growth.

It's a pretty good shield, sure, but the boost to fire-, ice-, and lightning-elemental attacks is kind of weird. Shields are used by Ramza's super-Squire, Knights, Archers, Lancers, and Geomancers. Even with the skill lists for the jobs shuffled around, none of those jobs use fire, ice, or lightning attacks. Well, Geomancers can use fire if they're standing on the right terrain, but it's rare.

A trip to the swamp has something more unnerving and scary than the usual (and rather mundane) skeletons, spooks, and haunts. Ramza's sister, just kidnapped from Orbonne, is lying dead in the water when we arrive.

The game must have genned her "Cleric, but permadead" job from the Hashmalum battle for a random encounter.

Her crystal didn't teach Agrias anything.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:46 am

I have good news and bad news. Good news is, I haven't seen Wiegraf around Mandalia Plains in a while. Bad news...

My Poach attempts continue to be foiled by weakened foes wandering onto Steel Needle traps. And since I'm so often at Mandalia -- it's the only place I've seen a Porky -- it's usually the exact same needle.

Ramza, in his younger, naive-er self is a spawn at Zeklaus Desert.

Wiegraf, and Celia have their usual boss immunities. But Ramza doesn't. So I instakill him just for the novelty.

"Hey, who's that strong-looking guy with the really, really nice katana? I think I'll give him an attack buff!"

oh no how terrible the only person in the party who can heal berserk is the one guy they berserked what will I do

Another visit to Zigolis -- it's the only place I've seen a Minitaurus -- and awhuuuuuuuuuuuuuat?! If you don't let her crystallize, Alma offers to join your party!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:49 am

Yep, that's Alma all right. Aegis and a slot for Ultima and everything.

Hey, who the hell are you? Alma's sprite is messed up on the status screen, but her skills can be set (and she still counts as female, she has Dance instead of Sing) and she can be equipped, so she appears to be fully functional.

But... hold on a minute...

Let me just...

...this doesn't look good, no sir.

I'll do my best!

I recruited permadead Alma. Oh well.