Emulation Station

zaratustra

Emulation Station

Postby zaratustra » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:51 am

fanboymaster

Re: Emulation Station

Postby fanboymaster » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:44 pm

I was up till 3 am because I kept rationalizing that I wanted to see the next game unlock. It's really good is what I'm saying.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Oh right, THAT'S what I was doing looking at DStwo cards yesterday.

eachmall.me has the lowest price on them but it looks pretty dodgy. 0shippingzone.com looks dodgy too at a glance but it's actually got pretty solid reviews so I'm leaning in that direction.

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm

I read an article about Panzer Dragoon Saga this morning. Can I emulate Saturn games on my PC yet? That would be swell.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Last I checked: kind of. I played through the Saturn version of Mega Man 8 a few years back but never got any of the Panzer games working.

But it's been awhile. Anybody have a more current answer?

François

Postby François » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:15 pm

I definitely remember getting Panzer Dragoon Saga to work a while back; I'm not entirely sure of the emulator I ended up using or the setup details but I think it was through SSF. Looking at this compatibility list PDS does appear to be working.

The main problem with SSF is that it can't read disc images right off your hard drive, but you can burn them or mount them as virtual drives with DaemonTools or other similar programs.

EDIT: On further investigation the site I linked is outdated, there are more recent versions out there, but you can google it easy. So much for checking my old bookmarks.

sei

Postby sei » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:24 pm

Thad wrote:Oh right, THAT'S what I was doing looking at DStwo cards yesterday.

eachmall.me has the lowest price on them but it looks pretty dodgy. 0shippingzone.com looks dodgy too at a glance but it's actually got pretty solid reviews so I'm leaning in that direction.
Let me know which vendor you settle on and how it goes. GBAtemp does have that list but I'm kind of dubious about it due to sponsorship, but I've been considering getting one of those for a while. IIRC, shoptemp didn't have as many listings as the forums.

My experience with 3DS-Flashcart.com (who has Supercard DSTwo for $40.25 vs $35.50 at 0sz) was okay, but I wasn't especially time sensitive when I got something from them.

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:06 am

Welp, the readme.txt for SSF is written in moon runes, but I guess I'll give it a shot. Will report back.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:44 am

sei wrote:Let me know which vendor you settle on and how it goes. GBAtemp does have that list but I'm kind of dubious about it due to sponsorship, but I've been considering getting one of those for a while. IIRC, shoptemp didn't have as many listings as the forums.

My experience with 3DS-Flashcart.com (who has Supercard DSTwo for $40.25 vs $35.50 at 0sz) was okay, but I wasn't especially time sensitive when I got something from them.

I tried to go with 0shipping. It errored out and I got this email:

dear customer,

Oshippingzone payment system already stop.

can you use our another webside. http://www.realhotstuff.hk

same price, same service,

Visa and Master all can accept.

sales

This having filled me with confidence, I went with 3ds-flashcart.com instead.

I'm...not entirely sure how it's gone so far. At first a charge for $5 more than what it was supposed to cost showed up as "Processing" on my credit card, but at some point over the past few hours it disappeared. I hope that this means it's going to reappear in the correct amount shortly.

I'll let you know what happens.

sei

Postby sei » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:24 pm

Cool beans. I appreciate the update and will keep an eye out for how it goes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:56 am

Cart arrived today (originally came in Monday, I think? but came certified mail and I kept missing it). DS games work great out of the box; tested the fan translations both RGC2 and 7th Dragon. None of the other plugins (ie emulators) are working or even showing up on the menu; haven't been able to determine why since, near as I can tell, I put all the necessary files in all the right directories.

Have been unable to reach anybody about the extra $5 charge, which is irritating but unsurprising. On the one hand, it's only five bucks; on the other hand, it's five bucks somebody stole from me after giving me a billing statement with a lower number on it, and I don't like that very much. (There's a statement in an FAQ -- which, as far as I can tell, is only sent to you AFTER you've finalized your order -- that due to exchange rates, you may be charged a little extra, usually between 1 and 3.7%. Notably, it does not give an estimate anywhere close to 14%.)

It came reasonably quickly and it works. And it's not like I'm terribly surprised at dodgy behavior from a Chinese billing company, and I'm only out five bucks. So it's not enough that I'm going to lose any sleep over it. But it IS enough that I'm going to make at least one more effort to get ahold of somebody, and if I don't get my five bucks back I'm going to leave a two-star review on GBA Temp.

sei

Postby sei » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:16 am

Sorry to hear. Sensible reaction, though.

Wonder if they'll wind up blaming it on customs, or hand wave it as an error margin in their exchange rate entry from the FAQ.

Classic

Postby Classic » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:35 am

Thad wrote:Cart arrived today (originally came in Monday, I think? but came certified mail and I kept missing it).

Certified mail?
It could account for the $5?

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:35 am

It could but it wasn't quoted in the shipping charges or anywhere on my receipt. The invoice said $40.25; no other costs were listed anywhere else.

Also, I didn't request any additional shipping options, and the first two words in the <title> tag on 3ds-flashcart.com are "Free Shipping!"

Classic

Postby Classic » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:52 am

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll "need" one of those in the future.

So... I'm looking forward to your 6mo. report.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:03 pm

So, just to check, there is no way in hell there's a working PS3 emulator out there that can run Valkyria Chronicles, right?

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:11 pm

Mothra wrote:So, just to check, there is no way in orange there's a working PS3 emulator out there that can run Valkyria Chronicles, right?

Not quite yet.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:46 am

Yeah, I am waiting for the day that a working PS3 emulator comes out just for that reason. It'll take a while, I'm sure... but it has to happen eventually!

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:33 pm

The biggest problem with the DSTwo is its lack of a graceful failure mode. Frequently when I fire it up I'll get this error message:

An error has occurred.
Press and hold the POWER Button to turn the system off.
Please refer to the Operations Manual for details.

That sounds like a Nintendo error, not a SuperCard one. So the inability to just go back to the Home screen and try again, and the lack of any hard information about what went wrong, are probably Nintendo's fault. But I'm inclined to think that the frequency of failure is SuperCard's fault.

It didn't happen at all the first few times I fired the thing up, when it only had a few files on it. So I suspect it's the result of trying to read a complete list of the contents of the microSD card and choking. It doesn't seem to be down to any actual filesystem corruption (at least, not most of the time; there WAS one time when I let the battery run down and that appears to have resulted in FS corruption; a chkdsk /f fixed it); most of the time, if I power the system down, remove the card, power it back up, and reinsert the card, it works fine.

The firmware doesn't appear to have been updated since 2013, so there doesn't appear to be any fix.

I suppose it's also possible that I just got a bum microSD card; I haven't tried grabbing a second card and checking -- but a quick search indicates that this is a pretty common problem.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:35 pm

The last posts in this thread before Thad's are pretty inadvertently funny. :D