Choose Your Own TextVenture: A Thread for IF Games

Healy

Re: Choose Your Own TextVenture: A Thread for IF Games

Postby Healy » Tue May 13, 2014 10:10 pm

Shuffle Comp games are out! I made some games for it, but which ones are they?? IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY

Note that some of the "play online" links won't work; they're z-code files trying to be interpreted as glulx games. If you're running into any trouble, download them and run them in your interpreter of choice, whatever that may be.

Healy

Postby Healy » Wed May 14, 2014 12:42 am

Healy

Postby Healy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Versu was/is an engine for IF based around social interaction. It's got some pretty advanced AI under the hood to handle everything relating to said social interaction, which you can read more about here. It used to be published by Linden Lab, who also publish Second Life, but earlier this year they dropped it, leaving the rights to all the games made with Versu, including Blood and Laurels, the latest project by IF luminary Emily Short, in limbo. But now all the rights for Versu have been cleared up and they're going to publish games again!
Versu is under new development, and we are publishing fresh stories, starting with Blood & Laurels on June 12.

You can read more in their official announcement here.

Healy

Postby Healy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:06 pm

Whoa, check it: The New York Times ran a piece on Interactive Fiction!
Interactive fiction, which once went by the name “text adventure,” is having a moment.

Zork, one of the earliest and best-known text adventures — released for personal computers in 1980 — was given a retrospective at this year’s Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. A Dark Room, with sparse prose inspired by Cormac McCarthy’s “The Road,” hit the top of the iPhone game charts in April. Device 6, a thrilling blend of short story and puzzle that features music, sound effects and text that can be followed only by rotating your phone or tablet, received an Apple Design Award last month. Even Twitter, in some ways the defining interactive-text game of our age (what are follower counts if not a scoreboard?), has joined the fun with the account @YouAreCarrying, which generates a Zork-like list of items to any user who types the word “Inventory” at it.

Read more at the link! Some folks in the IF Community took issue with the author's take on Emily Short's writing in the second-to-last paragraph, but it's a minor issue that doesn't detract from the article itself.

Postby Newbie » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:43 am

Whoa, Emily Short's ULTIMATE QUEST approaches! And apparently, if you have a Twitter account, you could potentially win prizes for helping cross-promote for NVIDIA!
tiny text

Healy

Postby Healy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Hey, I was about to post about that! But yeah, it looks pretty interesting. Too bad I don't have a Twitter or nothing, because it sounds pretty interesting to play.

Postby Newbie » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Finished the first chapter. So far it's made me use twitter twice to post something, triggering further content in the game, and one character has been introduced with a twitter account: put twitter.com/ultimate_pel in your URL bar. It's pretty interesting, in part because of how austere this interface is: the only verbs available so far are use, examine, analyze, recycle, think, talk, tweet, and wait. Rename might be a verb too, but the only way they've described its use is as a function of the tweet verb, so I dunno. Note the lack of any movement verbs: it took me a while to figure out how to cross a roof, until I realized the game wanted me to "use feet". Passage down a street occurs by using subsequent landmarks; I used a train to board, looked and thought about things until I reached my destination, and used the train again to disembark. It's such a departure from the usual methods.

Meanwhile, the bulk of the game is about assembling and disassembling objects out of individual shapes, concepts, and materials: you can recycle a banana into shape + curve, for example, which gives you those design patterns to use for other constructions. There's a lot of power and flexibility, especially once you start getting a lot of objects.

It's fun and exciting, and I recommend it.
tiny text

Healy

Postby Healy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:59 pm

HEY Y'ALL! GUESS WHAT TIME IT IS
THAT'S RIGHT! IT'S TIME FOR THE ANNUAL IF COMP! WOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo-- *cough, cough*

Anyway, folks are gearing up to review all those games! There's Sam Kabo Ashwell, of course Emily Short is reviewing too, and there's even going to be some reviews on Twitter! There are a bunch of games entered, so I went to the trouble of picking the most interesting ones out, as based on their blurbs. (Second opinion here.) I'll be reviewing the games on the seckrit boords when I get around to actually playing them, so look forward to that!

Healy

Postby Healy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:18 am

Andrew Plotkin's Kickstarted game Hadean Lands has finally been released! For the first week he's set up a leaderboard; tweet with the hashtag #HadeanLands whenever you complete a new ritual or see a new room and he'll put it up on that page there.

Healy

Postby Healy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:33 pm

Just a reminder: Tomorrow's your last day to vote in the IF Competition! Ballots close at 11:59 Eastern on Saturday, so be sure to get those votes in! Also, the IF Comp twitter will be live-tweeting the results at 3 PM Eastern on Sunday, so look forward to that, too.