Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nosimpleway

Re: Let's Play Suikoden 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Music: Iron Fist of Anger

Gorudo... do you honestly have any idea how fucked you are?

Just like old times, right buddy?

It feels like it's been ages.

I guess it's only been a couple of months, huh?

Gorudo can't even lay a hand on Jowy.

Oh yeah, turns out together we have one complete true rune.

Jowy's so angry that the sheer force of his sword swings knocks Gorudo on his ass.

There's no stopping the two of them together.

(It doesn't hurt that the level 99 but affects Jowy too.)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:26 pm

Music: Requiem of Grief

Not to metagame or anything, but Nanami having a new portrait for being wounded does not augur well for her.

Nanami: I'm... okay... I'll be okay... So... So don't... fight...
Jowy: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nanami... I'm sorry... Muteiu... Take care of Nanami...

Stone cold.

Nanami: Uh... I... I'll... I'll be... okay... But please... Just... once... Call me... 'Big Sister'...

Nanami: Hey... Muteiu... You... and me... And... Genkaku... We're not... Related... But... We... Really... Were... A family... Weren't we... I'm glad... I got to be... Genkaku's child... And I'm glad... I got to be... Your big sister... And... I'm glad... I was... Jowy's friend... And I'm glad... We... Were all... Together...

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:29 pm

Esperath wrote:Image

totally not a spoiler
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:45 pm

Quick, while she's still warm!

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:03 pm

She made sure to remind you that you're not actually related, just in time.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:33 am

Probably a good thing McDohl wandered off to wherever, it would be kind of awkward for Nanami to just end up in Soul Eater for the rest of eternity.

Also I forgot Jowy has the stupidest reason ever for keeping the war going. I know the real reason, but it's a really dumb justification. "This country just ain't big enough for the two of us, Riou!"

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:16 pm

My general feeling is that a box art/game history post at the start of a screenshot LP is about the same as that thing you see in video LPs where the player just sits and talks for five minutes at the title screen instead of playing the damn game. But people miss having a spot reserved for a table of contents linking to the various important plot points of the thread!

So I've awkwardly grafted a bunch of links into the first post.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Shu dispatches the soldiers who followed him to burn the flag and fetch a doctor.

Like all of Shu's plans, the Rockaxe gambit works like a charm... although in this case Jowy might be pulling his armies out of Matilda partly out of grief over what happened to Nanami.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:53 pm

Shu isn't paid to grieve. He's all business.

Back at the castle, there's a group gathered around the outside of Dr. Huan's hospital to wait for the results of his bolt-removal surgery.

Viktor: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Eilie: It'll be okay... She's not going to die...
Rina: Eilie!!!!
Eilie: I'm sorry, Muteiu... I didn't mean...

You're free to pace around if you want, but there's just a few words of encouragement to be had.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Flik: What?! But...!!! How could you fail!!?
Viktor: Quit it, Flik! He did all he could, don't take your anger out on him...
Flik: I know that! I know!!! But... But... What about Muteiu... Damn it! Kiba... And Nanami... They've fought along with us!!! And even though we won... Even though we've come so far... Damn...

And then it's morning, and the castle's normal cheerful tune is playing. Life goes on.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:01 pm

Muteiu's dearest friends offer what support they can.

Georg is full of his usual wise advice.

And Lorelai has a few words of encouragement.

You'd have been downstairs with the others. I know. The first time I played this game, you were in the party I took to Rockaxe, and nothing goes any differently.

Same.

Somehow even Tomo reacting to the tragedy hits me harder than the others.

Sierra makes it all about herself. >:|

Long Chan Chan that's really creepy and weird.

...but okay, yeah, I do feel a little better.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:05 pm

Shu: They probably decided that they couldn't defend against attacks from both Greenhill and Matilda at the same time. But one thing is certain, as soon as they regroup their forces, they'll attack again. As your strategist, I counsel that we take the fight to them... we attack Highland and eliminate the root of this whole war.
Muteiu: The root of the war?....
Shu: The Highland Kingdom and the City-State of Jowston have both gotten too big..... The Holy Kingdom of Harmonia to the north, the Toran Republic to the south, the great sea to the east and the Grasslands to the west.... In order to keep this land, we've had no choice but to fight. History has proven that. Human wisdom has its limits. Lord Muteiu. Give us the order to invade Highland.

I'm gonna hold off for a bit until I have my endgame party set up.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:23 pm

I turned in those blueprints I talked about before, and gave Jude the outline for how the sculpture should look.

There are four body parts: the head, body, legs, and tail. There are four animals: dragon, unicorn, turtle, and rabbit. And you can strap them together into any sort of chimeric beast you desire.

Flik: What kind of animal is it?
Apple: I'm not sure I agree with Muteiu's taste...
Ridley: L, Lord Muteiu.... What is this......
Eilie: Muteiu, this is..... What is it?
Rina: Hee hee hee..... I think it's fabulous.
Bolgan: Wow!!! A monster!!!! It's a monster!!!!!
Tsai: Well, at least it looks like it'll keep the evil spirits away.
Viki: I think it's cute too.
Oulan: I'm counting on you... Muteiu.
Luc: It's horrible.....
Chaco: Oh... hey.... c'mon... Don't say that....
Freedy: Th, that's right. He went to all that trouble...
Shiro: Grrrrrr..........

Normally that's the kind of useless filler script that I skip over, but the sheer number of people who assembled for the unveiling and think it's terrible takes it from critical to harsh all the way back around to funny. Even a dog chimes in.

Anyway, after everyone tells Muteiu he's a shitty sculptor, the deity statue glows and hocks up a blue orb.

You get to do this scene only once, and you can get one item off a long list of mutually-exclusive things from it. Building all four rabbit parts gives a Stone of Magic, all four turtle parts gives a bit of money, all four unicorn parts gives a Blue Gate crystal, all four dragon parts gives a dragon incense. Mixing it up mostly gives a small amount of money, a food item, or a piece of equipment that probably isn't much good. A creature with the head and legs of a rabbit but the body and tail of a turtle gives both a Prosperity and a Fortune crystal. The head of a turtle, the body of a rabbit, and the legs and tail of a unicorn gives a copy of Hix's otherwise-unique and quite handy Exertion crystal.

But I mixed the general shape of a unicorn with the legs of a noble and majestic turtle.

The result is the Hunter crystal. Attached to a weapon, it drops the damage output of that character to 1, and gives them a 5% chance to hit the target. But if they manage to land the blow, the first monster hit with the Hunter-enchanted weapon in any fight will drop an item.

Yeah, it makes grinding for rare drops a lot less bothersome.

Especially if you put a Wind rune on somebody and have them put enemies to sleep. Sleeping enemies don't dodge anything, even the crappy hit rate off the Hunter Rune. So I head to Greenhill and try to get the recipe the DoReMi elves are supposed to drop... but even with the GameShark code that's supposed to fix the recipe drop bug, all I get are bowls of Japanese Stew and Throat Drops.

Next thing I want is in Kobold forest. The Eagle Men there have about a 2% chance of dropping Double-Strike crystals.

This screenshot accurately represents my frustrations with the game's shoddy coding. There are some items that you're not supposed to get more than one of out of random battles, such as Window or Sound sets and Recipes. The game checks that you have those things before it determines whether an enemy will drop one, and if you've got one already, you instead get nothing.

Here, I have a recipe that I've collected before, because the game is looking in the wrong place for the information on whether I have it already or not.

What I do not have is a Double-Strike crystal.

As far as I can tell, the crystal is mislabeled in the game data as something I'm not supposed to have more than one of. And wherever it's checking for whether I have a Double-Strike crystal already, it's reporting that I do. So despite smacking Eagle Men around with the Hunter Rune for over an hour, I don't have the rune I wanted in the first place.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:28 pm

There's some stuff I can pick up without having to fight for it, so I go do that to feel like I've made some measure of progress. In a nice touch, returning to Rockaxe castle does in fact replace the flags flying from the uppermost parapet with the KISS Army banner.

A knight outside Gorudo's (former) office gives a Thunder crystal. A bookshelf in the office itself has a Steak recipe. A boy in Highway Village is selling calves again. The item shop in Greenhill coughs up a Pizza recipe. It's a bit of runaround, but hey.

The Genghis Khan recipe dropped by those Highland soldiers in Rockaxe castle requires the meat from four entire lambs to cook. It's the only thing on my list that I can't make even one of.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:20 pm

And Shu leaves to make his preparations.

Better rest up, it's gonna be a big battle...

*whump*

NOT WHAT I MEANT

The soldiers in the courtyard cheer.

Seed: We're still stronger than them!!! The outcome of the war is not yet decided!!!!!
Soldiers: *cheer again*
Priests: In the name of the 'Beast Rune', one of the 27 True Runes, received from the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia, and passed down from generation to generation in the Blight Family, swear your oath, oh King of Highland.
Jowy: In the name of the Highland Kingdom and the Blight Royal Family, I beg thee for victory.... Oh noble 'Beast Rune', I sacrifice to you the blood of she who is dearest to me... my wife... Jillia Blight!!!!!!

Jillia barely twitches. Is she drugged or something?

Culgan: The path of victory is the only path!!! We pray for victory!!!
Seed: Now is the time to fight. If we lose this, we lose the Kingdom of Highland!!!!!
Soldiers: *cheer again*

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:23 pm

Thad wrote:so those of you who got a Delita vibe might just be on to something...

Might be.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:31 pm

ohhhhhhhh

Leon: How did it go?
Jowy: It went well. Too well..........

And Jowy, too, collapses.

Back at Castle Vania, everyone's gathered around Muteiu's bed waiting for him to get better. Hold out just a little longer, the war's almost over...

Eventually Muteiu is hale enough to look around the castle for one last late-night plot point.

It's Apple, in Shu's room.

Shu: What is it, Apple?
Apple: When I came up with the plan for attacking Muse... You knew that it was going to fail, didn't you?
Shu: Yeah........ I figured you had a fifty-fifty chance..... at best, that is.
Apple: .....So then, why.....
Shu: Well, the way I saw it, if you won, fine. If you lost, I hoped it would disguise my true plans. Also, I figured between you and Klaus, even if we lost, the damage wouldn't be too bad.
Apple: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I'm useless.... Shu...... Isn't there anything... Anything at all that I can do to help you....
Shu: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Apple: . . . . . . . . I'm sorry. Excuse me. . . . . . . .
Shu: There are 3 cards on that table there.
Apple: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Shu: Take one of the cards.

Shu: What does it say?
Apple: Fire.... that's all.
Shu: I see..... You can go, Apple.
Apple: Okay.... good night.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:36 pm

So in the morning...

He do.

Viktor: Oi!!!!! Let's end this damn thing!!!
Flik: By my sword, we will win! I swear it!!!!!!!!
Miklotov: Oh my name!!!! I say 'VICTORY'!!!!
Camus: For the honor of the Knighthood! We shall be victorious!!!!!
Ridley: For the people!!!!! We must win!!!!!
Chaco: That's right! For the people! He he he, I love this!!!

That oughta do it. We didn't even need to stab anybody's body double fake.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:40 pm

Shu: Leon Silverburg, eh. Let's finish this here. Lord Muteiu, you lead a unit to the right. General Hauser, you lead a unit to the left. Stay hidden until I give the signal.
Apple: What about you, Shu? You'll be....
Shu: Apple, you go with Lord Muteiu. I'll be fine by myself.
Apple: Okay...

Viktor: Bah. I always get the dirty jobs.
Shu: There's nobody else I can ask.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Culgan: According to reports, Muteiu circled to the right and Hauser to the left flank.
Leon: Shu... What could you be thinking...
Seed: Nothing to worry about. We'll smash whichever unit Muteiu is in and it'll all be done with once and for all!
Leon: No... I know Shu better than that. If we go after Muteiu, Hauser will attack our flank and if we go after Hauser, Muteiu will attack. That's his plan. We go directly after Shu's unit. He's giving orders to both units. We eliminate him and divide their forces in two.
Culgan: What if Shu's unit is a decoy...
Leon: He's not man enough to willingly put his own life in danger.

So Shu's small contingent stays put in the forest, while the Highland army closes in.

Hyaah! Hauser and Muteiu show up and hit the Highland's flanks!

No no, that other signal.

The one to set the forest alight.

Leon: Shu, you fool!!!!! What are you thinking? You're doomed!!!!!!
Camus: Damn!!!!! What the hell!!!!
Culgan: Get out!!! Run!!!!!!
Shu: Give the signal to the right and left flank!!!! Surround them!!!!!