Oh those pet peeves

beatbandito

Re: Oh those pet peeves

Postby beatbandito » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:59 pm

Friday wrote:Why this is called "hanging a lampshade" is beyond me.

Based on nothing but my own assumptions, I've always figured the idea was that a narrative lampshade did about as much to cover the plot point(hole) as a physical lampshade does to block a lamp.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Yeah, you're basically doing it to diffuse something that would otherwise be glaring.

(yes I mean 'diffuse' and not 'defuse')

TA

Postby TA » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:02 pm

Thad wrote:It can be used to explicitly acknowledge an influence, too. Like Future Man throwing out a Back to the Future reference, or the scene in Shazam where they run through a toystore and there's a giant keyboard on the floor. That's lampshade hanging.

Well ... no, those are just making references. Lampshade hanging is making explicit that in a work that you, the creators, know there's a problem with what you're doing as much as the viewers will, but you're doing it anyway. The idea being that if you point out your flaw first, then people can't criticize you for doing the bad thing you're doing.

It's ... Wreck-It Ralph's after-credits scene being the scene from the trailer, and starting with a little girl watching a movie and complaining about how the scene from the trailer wasn't in the movie at all. And then being told by her mom to shut up and play her video game, only whiny children care about things like that.

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:35 pm

TV Tropes discussion on the possible etymology of hanging a lampshade on it here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/archived_di ... adeHanging

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:44 pm

TA wrote:
Thad wrote:It can be used to explicitly acknowledge an influence, too. Like Future Man throwing out a Back to the Future reference, or the scene in Shazam where they run through a toystore and there's a giant keyboard on the floor. That's lampshade hanging.

Well ... no, those are just making references. Lampshade hanging is making explicit that in a work that you, the creators, know there's a problem with what you're doing as much as the viewers will, but you're doing it anyway. The idea being that if you point out your flaw first, then people can't criticize you for doing the bad thing you're doing.

Yes, and in this case the bad thing they're doing is flagrantly copying Back to the Future.

Fail to acknowledge how derivative you're being, and the audience will happily acknowledge it for you. Make a joke where you wink to the camera about it, and that makes them likelier to forgive it.

(ETA: tvtropes calls this an Inspiration Nod, and the Lampshade Hanging entry explicitly acknowledges it as a type of lampshading.)

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:46 pm

One of the most generic complaints faced, but still rubbed me the wrong way to need to deal with it for a solid ten minutes in the literal 11th hour of my work day.

"my internet's not working, help me"
"restart your computer"
"I just did"
"do it again in front of me"
*struggles to find the 'restart' button on the start menu* *struggles to log in to their account after reboot* *problem solved when he logs back in*

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:40 pm

I placed an order with the local big box pet store and the confirmation email arrived with the preface "Woot woot! We got your order!"

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:27 pm

"my internet's not working, help me"
"restart your computer"
"I just did"
"do it again in front of me"
*struggles to find the 'restart' button on the start menu* *struggles to log in to their account after reboot* *problem solved when he logs back in*

just saw this

is your coworker my mom
ImageImageImage

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Everybody is your mom except for those people who are not your mom.