Let's all go to the movies~

Mongrel

Re: Let's all go to the movies~

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:19 am

In a not-all-that-surprising move, James Gunn has been reinstated as director for GotG 3.

Kinda almost a shame if the rumoured alternative of Taika Watiti was true. Would have sure been interesting and possibly amazing.

Either way, at least someone who knows what they're doing is in charge, hopefully?

TA

Postby TA » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:04 am

GotG2 was like, blisteringly misogynistic so I dunno about that. Sure is a good thing they fired the woman who did all the research, story writing, and screenwriting for GotG and let Gunn take over.

Also it's been at least twenty years since the last one, and Pratt's done a lot of running his mouth about his beliefs and values. Kinda fuck any project he's on.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:37 pm

Everything that Zack Snyder's superhero movies got wrong, Shazam gets right.

It's a superhero movie about family, and it remembers that superheroes are supposed to be fun movies for kids. But more than that, it's in the Stranger Things mold of being a throwback to '80s movies about kids who hang out and curse and talk shit to each other -- it feels a little bit like Stand By Me, or ET, or The Goonies, or The Bad News Bears or The Sandlot (those last two weren't from the '80s, but you know what I mean). And there's a lot of Big in there, and the movie has the good sense to hang a lampshade on that.

If I have one minor gripe, it's that Mark Strong plays a great Lex Luthor but for some reason everyone keeps calling him Thaddeus Sivana. How Lex Luthor is Dr. Sivana in this movie? He's so Lex Luthor that his father is an evil businessman played by John Glover.

But, "not my Sivana" grousing aside, DC has finally gone and made a non-animated superhero movie that I can praise unreservedly. Go see this movie. Because Aquaman made a billion dollars, and this movie is actually good.

Postby Newbie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:43 am

Niku wrote:Battle Angel

My parents liked this show so much that when they came into town for my birthday, they wanted to bring me along to watch it again. I liked it, too! I did not realize that I had actually seen one of the climactic moments of the OAV cut into some anime music video from more than a decade ago.
tiny text

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:04 pm

Thad Overthinks Jokes Dept:

There is a scene where Shazam and Freddy go to a realtor and try to buy a superhero lair. Freddy says that they would like a large building on the edge of a cliff, with a nearby waterfall they can use as an entrance.

So, okay. This establishes that the DCEU is a place where, much like our world, superhero fans are able to accurately describe the location of the Batcave.

So one assumes that the only reason the Batcave is not constantly inundated with uninvited fanboys taking selfies is that we've also established that the DCEU is a place where Batman is a fucking psychopath who brands people.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:19 pm

I missed the original discussion about this back when BvS came out but man, the more I think about Batman branding criminals, the more fucked up it gets. Obviously the worst is that it "marks them for death" in the overstuffed prisons he's filled with supercriminals, but beyond that, whoever is branded has not been "branded a criminal" for life.

It goes against the very basic high-falutin' Batman idea of trying to treat his villains like humans and get them psychiatric help, with the goal of eventually reintroducing them to society with a clean slate. I can only guess that Snyder just wanted a way for Batman to kill people without directly killing them.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:20 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:41 pm

Mothra wrote:It goes against the very basic high-falutin' Batman idea of trying to treat his villains like humans and get them psychiatric help, with the goal of eventually reintroducing them to society with a clean slate. I can only guess that Snyder just wanted a way for Batman to kill people without directly killing them.

You know what? Somebody should put Zack Snyder in touch with Robin Snyder, see if they can reach a deal to make a Mr. A movie or something. Dude wants to do violent superheroes who get their morality from Ayn Rand, he's got options that don't involve Superman snapping necks and machine guns on the Batmobile.

As dumb an idea as I think the rumored "let's do Flashpoint and reset stuff so people can just block out Suicide Squad and everything involving Cavill or Affleck" plan is, if it lets us keep the good bits of the DCEU while throwing out the bad ones then I'll take it.

Pity the current news seems to be that Ezra Miller is holding out for a darker Flash script. Because that's what the DCEU has been missing all this time: darker scripts.

While I admit to some curiosity as to what a Grant Morrison Flash movie script would look like, I'm really hoping Shazam does Aquaman numbers (or at least Wonder Woman numbers) and helps convince whoever the fuck is in charge of DC Films at this point that fun movies sell tickets.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:04 am

Thad wrote:You know what? Somebody should put Zack Snyder in touch with Robin Snyder, see if they can reach a deal to make a Mr. A movie or something. Dude wants to do violent superheroes who get their morality from Ayn Rand, he's got options that don't involve Superman snapping necks and machine guns on the Batmobile.

You know, I'm being unfair to Ditko here. Mr. A never branded anybody. And while he would absolutely snap a villain's neck, he wouldn't demolish half a major city first. And if anybody in a Ditko comic tells somebody not to save a bus full of kids, you better believe they're not the hero.

And for all that Mr. A will remorselessly kill somebody who takes a swing at him and then deliver a two-page monologue about the initiation of force, he also believes in redemption, at least sometimes. My favorite Mr. A story is about a thug who's just gotten out of prison; he's tempted to go back into his old life with his old gang, but in the end, he chooses to do the right thing. That's really pretty core to Ditko's morality: the idea that right and wrong can be quantified, scales can be balanced, debts can be paid. The premise of that story is that the criminal did wrong, but he paid his debt to society and he gets to start with a clean slate. From there, he has the same choice as anybody else, between right and wrong.

It's all reductive, childish nonsense, of course, but this is superheroes we're talking about. And I vastly prefer Steve Ditko's reductive, childish nonsense to Zack Snyder's.