Things That Go in Your Mouth

Silversong

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby Silversong » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:21 am

I just found out about "clarified milk punch" and now I need to have a party so I can try this out.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:15 pm

A clarified what n-- oh, it's booze consomme.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:06 am

Continued adventures in Sous Vide, because delicious delicious possibly-unsafe food.

Cilantro lime chicken, before cooking:
Cilantro lime chicken, after sous vide with a quick sear in a hot cast iron pan:

Home-baked chocolate chip cookies, coated in tempered Belgian dark couverture chocolate:

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 am

Grath wrote:Home-baked chocolate chip cookies, coated in tempered Belgian dark couverture chocolate:

Wait wait wait, did you use the sous vide to temper chocolate??

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:02 pm

Silversong wrote:
Grath wrote:Home-baked chocolate chip cookies, coated in tempered Belgian dark couverture chocolate:

Wait wait wait, did you use the sous vide to temper chocolate??

Yuuuup. Instructions courtesy of J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, it took a couple tries to get it right but it's so much easier than messing around with a double boiler. Turns out that having precise control over your temperatures also works wonders for tempering chocolate.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 pm

Putting further discussion of albino chocolate in the appropriate thread... My order showed up yesterday and I don't know if the swirl is just for looks and the rest is blended or if it's just mostly dark chocolate. The swirl itself seemed to only be surface-level on the bar I had. That said, it was still tasty - I'll just have to wait and try to track down a proper bar of albino chocolate at some point. Looks like there's a chocolate company out of Hawaii that makes bars of albino chocolate, and several Manhattan chocolate stores appear to carry that brand - albeit not necessarily the fancy bars.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am

We made the clarified milk punch! Using this recipe: http://www.cocktailchemistrylab.com/home/milk-punch
I didn't take any pictures because it disappeared too fast, but we'll make more. The milk solids took a really long time to strain out, but it was pretty low-effort despite being time consuming. It started a very dark, very cloudy reddish color, but by the end was a beautiful, clear, rose-pink. And delicious! I'm pretty sensitive to drinks being too tart or too sweet, and I thought it was perfect.

TA

Postby TA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Yeah, I looked up a recipe and it seemed pretty tasty, if you were gonna be making a punch.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:19 am

I took a chocolate making class last night! It helped demystify tempering chocolate. The instructor didn't even use a thermometer, just by look and touch. For decorating there was metallic shimmer dust, colored sugar, cocoa butter image transfers, and patterned plastic sheets.

The ganache was pre-made as it had to be done the day before, but she gave us the recipe. She infused part with earl grey and part with green jasmine and grapefruit zest. I got to cut and squish the ganache into shapes before dipping in white, milk, or dark chocolate.

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:51 pm

I have stumbled upon the best hot chocolate recipe ever by running out of the everything and experimenting with some old cocoa powder, a tin of condensed milk and some regular milk. Turns out those are the exact three ingredients you need. I also suspect this would make amazing ice cream.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:42 pm

It's Pi Day and remembered Silversong mention orange pies being a thing, and... well...

https://weirder.earth/@jimtron/101752317646986659

Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:37 am

At least it looked cute? What did you make it with (and how not great was it)?

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:15 pm

It tastes just fine, it just looked nothing like the photo in the recipe. I tried making the meringue with a hand beater, but that's kind of rough and I think a bit of egg yolk kept it from peaking properly. I wouldn't mind trying it again, maybe with oranges from our own trees next time.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:24 pm

YOU PIED