The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Büge

Re: The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Postby Büge » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Speaking of, there seems to be a lot more shooting deaths happening in Toronto lately. :(

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Mongrel wrote:Greyhound cancels most of its routes in Western Canada

I know this is sort of a minor news item from a global perspective, times change, etc. But I suppose it hits me personally because this was what my grandad did for a living after WWII, driving the Greyhound routes between Winnipeg and Western Ontario.

I have to say, I've never had a complaint about Greyhound myself, the times I've taken long bus trips (the sketchy terminal in Buffalo however... But everything in Buffalo is sketchy).

:/

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Yeah, this is going to be a huge problem for the rural west and central areas, because Greyhound was literally the only transportation network left. It's even worse than when Ontario Northland gave up and Northern Ontario lost all train service.

BC tried replacing the lost northern routes last year and backed off saying it was too expensive to subsidize. No idea if the western provinces will band together to try and cobble together some kind of replacement, maybe with federal help (perhaps a VIA subsidiary?). There's a patchwork bus network between some Alberta regional hubs which started up last year, but that's not even close to solving this problem.

But yeah, this is actually a big deal.

TA

Postby TA » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:03 am

Well, that was fast.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:14 am

Yep.

I'm not sure if the lazy reversion to 1998 is better or worse than them trying to come up with a new policy, considering who it is.

That headline doesn't even touch on the worst part: Consent. The newer curriculum had a much stronger emphasis on consent. That goes away I suppose.