Computer help requests

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Computer help requests

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:22 pm

Yeah, I've been asking around with the following requirements

- Not an egregious memory hog
- Truly customizable UI, including placement - and size/spacing! - of all menu bars/tabs etc.
- Can still run crucial security add-ons like uBlock Origin and NoScript/Script blockers with the same capability as they do in FF.

There's other things like tab session saving, mass image saving, etc. that I have add-ons for in FF, but I can cut those loose if I really must.

One of the things that really makes me laugh is how I don't have many add-ons, but of those I do, almost all of them are related to basic navigation. Besides uBlock etc. I have things like "adds a function to reload all tabs" or "new tabs open with your homepage instead of being blank". Like... I actually had to install extraneous software to get Firefox to do these things.

Meanwhile I still can't figure out what i did to edit my userchrome.css. Might have to restart with a clean one and make all the changes to size, spacing, and arrangement again. SIGH.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:39 pm

Might I suggest a side-by-side comparison of your version of the file and the default version using a diff tool like Meld?

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:47 pm

mharr wrote:Every browser is indeed going to shit chasing Chrome. Except I heard Edge might be okayish these days. Pretty sure you're already using the best one.

Edge is a Chrome fork now.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:27 pm

Thad wrote:Might I suggest a side-by-side comparison of your version of the file and the default version using a diff tool like Meld?

Oooh this looks like a neat tool even without considering the problem at hand.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:03 pm

So, I was overthinking things yesterday, in the sense that I had forgotten that the userchrome.css file is essentially only a PATCH file - there's no "default" userchrome.css

Also, apparently I was a good boy and did in fact comment my code use - but only because the people who actually write this stuff did. The only thing I can take credit for is not being so stone dead stupid as to erase those "unnecessary" bits. Though those little "If I wasn't a fucking moron, I'd have set this up properly so I can fix it when... oh." moments will never not amuse me.

So first, to return to the current default was easy. I only had to delete this bit of now-dated code:

/* TABS: on bottom */
#navigator-toolbox toolbar:not(#nav-bar):not(#toolbar-menubar) {-moz-box-ordinal-group:10}
#TabsToolbar {-moz-box-ordinal-group:1000!important}

#TabsToolbar {
display: block !important;
position: absolute !important;
bottom: 0 !important;
width: 100vw !important;
}

#tabbrowser-tabs {
}
#main-window:not([chromehidden*="toolbar"]) #navigator-toolbox {padding-bottom: var(--tab-min-height) !important;}

Pretty straightforward, I would say. I couldn't write this of course, but even a layman like me can read it and see and understand what each line does. It's simple and short.

This is now the code required to do the same thing in the current version of Firefox:
⇳ Click to Expand Summary
/* Source file https://github.com/MrOtherGuy/firefox-c ... bottom.css made available under Mozilla Public License v. 2.0
See the above repository for updates as well as full license text. */

/* Modify to change window drag space width */
/*
Use tabs_on_bottom_menubar_on_top_patch.css if you
have menubar permanently enabled and want it on top
*/

/* IMPORTANT */
/*
Get window_control_placeholder_support.css
Window controls will be all wrong without it.
Additionally on Linux, you may need to get:
linux_gtk_window_control_patch.css
*/

:root{ --uc-titlebar-padding: 0px; }
@media (-moz-os-version: windows-win10){
:root[sizemode="maximized"][tabsintitlebar]{ --uc-titlebar-padding: 8px }
}
#toolbar-menubar[autohide="true"] > .titlebar-buttonbox-container,
#TabsToolbar > .titlebar-buttonbox-container{
position: fixed;
display: block;
top: var(--uc-titlebar-padding,0px);
right:0;
height: 40px;
}
/* Mac specific. You should set that font-smoothing pref to true if you are on any platform where window controls are on left */
@supports -moz-bool-pref("layout.css.osx-font-smoothing.enabled"){
:root{ --uc-titlebar-padding: 0px !important }
.titlebar-buttonbox-container{ left:0; right: unset !important; }
}

:root[uidensity="compact"] #TabsToolbar > .titlebar-buttonbox-container{ height: 32px }

#toolbar-menubar[inactive] > .titlebar-buttonbox-container{ opacity: 0 }

#navigator-toolbox{ padding-top: var(--uc-titlebar-padding,0px) !important; }

.titlebar-buttonbox-container > .titlebar-buttonbox{ height: 100%; }

#titlebar{
-moz-box-ordinal-group: 2;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
--tabs-navbar-shadow-size: 0px;
}

.titlebar-placeholder,
#TabsToolbar .titlebar-spacer{ display: none; }
/* Also hide the toolbox bottom border which isn't at bottom with this setup */
#navigator-toolbox::after{ display: none !important; }

@media (-moz-gtk-csd-close-button){ .titlebar-button{ -moz-box-orient: vertical } }

/* These exist only for compatibility with autohide-tabstoolbar.css */
toolbox#navigator-toolbox > toolbar#nav-bar.browser-toolbar{ animation: none; }
#navigator-toolbox:hover #TabsToolbar{ animation: slidein ease-out 48ms 1 }

/* Source file https://github.com/MrOtherGuy/firefox-c ... _patch.css made available under Mozilla Public License v. 2.0
See the above repository for updates as well as full license text. */

/* Menubar on top patch - use with tabs_on_bottom.css */
/* Only really useful if menubar is ALWAYS visible */

:root{ --uc-window-control-width: 0px !important }

#navigator-toolbox{ padding-top: calc(29px + var(--uc-titlebar-padding,0px)) !important }

#toolbar-menubar{
position: fixed;
display: flex;
top: var(--uc-titlebar-padding,0px);
height: 29px;
width: 100%;
overflow: hidden;
}

#toolbar-menubar > .titlebar-buttonbox-container{ height: 29px; order: 100; }

#toolbar-menubar > [flex]{ flex-grow: 100; }
#toolbar-menubar > spacer[flex]{
order: 99;
flex-grow: 1;
min-width: var(--uc-window-drag-space-width,20px);
}

#toolbar-menubar .titlebar-button{ padding: 2px 17px !important; }

#toolbar-menubar .toolbarbutton-1 { --toolbarbutton-inner-padding: 3px }

/* TABS: height */*|*:root { --tab-toolbar-navbar-overlap: 0px !important; --tab-min-height: 25px !important;
--tab-min-width: 80px !important;

#tabbrowser-tabs {
}
#main-window:not([chromehidden*="toolbar"]) #navigator-toolbox {padding-bottom: var(--tab-min-height) !important;}

.tab-background {
border-radius: 8px 8px 0px 0px !important; border-image: none !important;
}
.tab-line {
display: none;
}

.tab-close-button {
color: red!important;
}

I haven't even added it yet because I'm not even sure if I have to edit it to add or remove anything with my configuration or add any of the mentioned ADDITIONAL .css files.

Just to get the fucking tab toolbar under the navigation bar. Like. Just... Fuck you Mozilla.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:04 pm

Caithness wrote:
mharr wrote:Every browser is indeed going to shit chasing Chrome. Except I heard Edge might be okayish these days. Pretty sure you're already using the best one.

Edge is a Chrome fork now.

Not a fork exactly; like most Chrome derivatives, it still tracks upstream. AIUI it's Chrome's rendering engine with some new bits bolted on, plus MS's UI and JS engine.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:38 pm

Moving my hunt here from the Capitalism thread.

Somebody more knowledgeable than my overgrown-console-baby self explain to me why this pc is so much cheaper than seemingly comparable options and I should not buy it.

My primary purpose would be vidyas/general entertainment. Unlikely for anything work-related.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:50 pm

It's better than no computer at all, if that's the situation you're in, but that's an extremely weak GPU. Slower than the integrated GPU in modern CPUs that have one - though the specific CPU in that build doesn't have one. It wouldn't usefully run current titles.

Having only a mechanical hard drive for OS/applications is also a serious drag. That'll be a continuous background irritation for everything these days, not just gaming.

Overall, it looks cheap because it looks like a several-year-old spec.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:51 pm

Okay, fair enough. Thanks!

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:53 pm

I'm not familiar with iBUYPOWER but I did a little searching and it looks like they're reputable.

The main place that model's skimping is the graphics card. The GT 710 was already a low-end budget card when it first shipped. In 2014. It should probably work for just watching videos, but if you intend to do anything more than light gaming (and again, this is going by a 2014 definition of "light"), you're going to want to replace the graphics card -- which is going to be a problem; the difficulty in finding a good graphics card for a reasonable price is one of the main arguments right now for buying a computer instead of building one.

It also doesn't have an SSD. You're going to want to buy one of those. But fortunately those aren't currently hard to come by; you can get a good one for under $100. (It's unclear from the listing whether the board has an m2 slot or if you'll be limited to SATA drives, but for your purposes the difference probably isn't significant.)

Those are the issues I'm seeing at a glance: no SSD, which is an easy problem to fix, and an underpowered graphics card from 7 years ago, which isn't.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:12 pm

The GT 710 was actually released in 2016, substantially later than the rest of the 700-series, but it launched at a price point of $35 and was weaker than contemporary laptop integrated GPUs from Intel. The main purpose is to give you additional monitor ports if you've filled up all the ports on your actual GPU.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:27 pm

Today Firefox decided to randomly decide to look for proxy settings and refuse to connect to the internet until I turned that off since... I don't connect via a proxy and have not in ages?

Took a while to figure out because I actually started browsing normally when I got up but shortly after I began, nothing would load. First guess was the connection (our ISP can be fickle on occasion... grumble), but Starr says she's still connected just fine. Reboot, nothing. Yet Steam and any update software I have are connected fine. Okay... so Firefox it is. Start Chrome, google problem, easy fix. BUT WHY EVEN DO THIS?????

Thanks Mozilla. And by 'thanks' I mean go fuck yourselves with a rusty rake.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:36 pm

I hate to be That Guy but have you considered using Waterfox?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:17 pm

Well, I literally asked for recommendations for alternate browsers a few posts/days back ITT (that's why today's post was here and not pet peeves or wherever), so no, you're actually not being That Guy in the least.

Waterfox actually looks... really promising!

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:19 pm

I recently randomly stumbled across an article recommending Vivaldi as a browser. I'm currently giving it a try, because I've been wanting to switch off of chrome for a while, but have also been specifically avoiding firefox since the scandal where mozilla decided to get rid of its security team.
So far it's... fine. It has a lot of customization options that might be really useful for other people, but I'm not super interested in them.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:05 pm

Not really a help request since I've already fixed this one, but in case it's useful for anybody else:

My gas company had the bright fucking idea of disabling pasting into the password field.

(Aside: don't fucking do that, web developers; it serves no purpose except to encourage people to use weak passwords, and I shouldn't even have to explain this to you because it is blisteringly fucking obvious. The fuck is wrong with you?)

Anyway, per HowToGeek, you can prevent this in Chrome-based browsers with the Don't Fuck with Paste extension, and in Firefox by going to about:config and setting dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled to false.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:11 pm

That sort of thing doesn't come up that often, but yeah it's stupid as hell when it does. So hey, thanks!

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:39 am

What are the Adobe-averse using for pdf work these days? If it's a small form I usually import into InkScape which is getting a bit Rube Goldberg even for me.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:58 pm

I've been using Foxit for years and years without the least trouble. Even has a browser plugin.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:11 pm

mharr wrote:What are the Adobe-averse using for pdf work these days? If it's a small form I usually import into InkScape which is getting a bit Rube Goldberg even for me.

Do you mean for creating PDFs, or for just viewing them and/or filling out PDF forms?
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.