Unforgivable Sins of UI Design

Thad

Re: Unforgivable Sins of UI Design

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:13 pm

The latest chapter in Firefox's campaign to behave like Chrome instead of like I want it to is that it's changed the default behavior for downloads to always save instead of ask whether you want to save or open.

It's trivial to change it so that it asks (or just automatically opens in the preferred program) from the settings menu -- if the file type is actually listed under MIME types. I haven't really had any problem with it on my home desktop.

But at work, it had a MIME type for .doc but not .docx. So any time I wanted to open a modern Word doc from my browser, I'd have to save it, open it, and then delete it, instead of all that shit just happening automatically.

There is no UI for manually adding a MIME type to Firefox. You have to edit a fucking JSON file.

BTW, here's Mozilla's list of common MIME types. The MIME type for .docx is application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:25 pm

Reminds me of a laugh I had recently.

One thing I IMMEDIATELY noticed on Waterfox after putting it on the new machine was it trivially allowed you to move your search bar over or under your tabs & menu bar. No bullshit forced arrangement, just shuffle the UI however you fucking well please.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:37 pm

Flight status
(!) Something went wrong

Hey, think you could maybe think of a better way to phrase your generic error message in this particular context?

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:42 pm

How to Change the Default Browser in Thunderbird: Choose the browser Thunderbird uses to open links in emails

• Go to Menu > Preferences > Config Editor. Search for network.protocol-handler.warn-external.http.
  • Set values to True for network.protocol-handler.warn-external.http and .https.
  • Open a link in Thunderbird, select Choose, and pick a web browser. Check Always use this application.

What the actual fuck?

"Default Browser" was a system setting that already existed when Thunderbird was first released. In 2003. Just how? How does Thunderbird have its own separate "default browser" setting, that isn't user-facing, and can only be changed by digging into the got-dang about:config to set it to ask the next time you open a link? How did that make it to release 20 fucking years ago, and how is it still like that?