A Holiday Appears!

mharr

Re: A Holiday Appears!

Postby mharr » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:14 pm

Well we just wasted a day hanging spookies and building a daft little skeleton in undersized coffin candy dip because there's not a single solitary pumpkin anywhere in this whole town.

We need to move.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:17 pm

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:40 pm

I have made the terrible life choice of getting candy I don't like, and none of it has been taken away from me.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:34 pm

Candy almost instantaneously gives me an ear infection these days, so it's become really easy to resist the temptation to eat it

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:37 pm

Kylie and I shared a Crispy Crunch bar and it's the sugariest thing I've eaten in years.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:36 pm

This is my first halloween since getting diagnosed with diabetes. I miss candy.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:40 pm

Yeah. Same.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:02 pm

This is the first year that my daughter went trick-or-treating like for realsies and she got quite a haul. This may be my last Halloween not diagnosed with diabetes.

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:32 am

Aye, excess candy is a self-correcting problem. What I can't process is a 2500 person village with an above average number of young families entirely failing to register the existence of October 31st in any way. That's some Stepford Wives weirdness.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:53 am

Sounds more like Footloose to me.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:45 am

mharr wrote:Aye, excess candy is a self-correcting problem. What I can't process is a 2500 person village with an above average number of young families entirely failing to register the existence of October 31st in any way. That's some Stepford Wives weirdness.

Well, in France, Halloween is apparently seen as a largely imported American thing and not very popular, it only being introduced at all in the 90's. Maybe that's also a Scottish thing? At least to some degree? Like large cities have bought in but not a lot of small towns?

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:50 am

nosimpleway wrote:This is the first year that my daughter went trick-or-treating like for realsies and she got quite a haul. This may be my last Halloween not diagnosed with diabetes.

:(

It's genetic...

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:07 pm

My Halloween tea party went really well, due to four days of preparation. Taking the end of this week off to recuperate (and do any remaining dishes).

We don't get trick or treaters in my neighborhood, it being mostly apartments. Our next door neighbors rang the bell and said trick or treat. Their children were too young to know what was going on and none of them were in costumes, but I handed over muffins and cookies since I didn't have candy. How big do children have to be before they can eat muffins and cookies? I have no idea. Probably best I don't eat them all anyway.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:53 pm

Glad you had a good party. We got a few kids this year (none last year for obvious reasons) and they were super adorable. Mostly very traditional witches and ghosts. With mom with kittyface makeup hovering behind.

You're never too young or too old for cookies. This I believe. At least for now.
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:12 pm

Muffins are probably fine for any kiddo on solid food in general, cookies might oughta wait until they have some teef.

Depends on the texture of the cookie, I suppose. They do make those "teething cookies" that are basically shortbread that disintegrates into goo the instant it touches moisture, which any teething child's mouth has in abundance

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:34 pm

Mongrel wrote:Well, in France, Halloween is apparently seen as a largely imported American thing and not very popular, it only being introduced at all in the 90's. Maybe that's also a Scottish thing? At least to some degree? Like large cities have bought in but not a lot of small towns?

That wasn't our experience in the much smaller village where we first landed, Scotland's always had two days of Samhain between October and November which is basically the same thing but more explicitly pagan. The only differences I expected were bonfires, turnip lanterns and trick-or-treat being called guisin' and featuring terrible dad jokes you're required to enjoy.

Absolutely nada zip and nil on either night. I just witnessed several thousand Scots pass up an opportunity to eat too much sugar and light some shit on fire.

Eh, the neighbours here turned out to be tedious self obsessed ghouls (literally pile into dead folks houses to steal shit before the families arrive) so we were already planning to bail.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:28 pm

Guisin' is a term we need to adopt in the States immediately.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:49 pm

mharr wrote:The only differences I expected were bonfires, turnip lanterns and trick-or-treat being called guisin' and featuring terrible dad jokes you're required to enjoy.

you had my attention

atog

Postby atog » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:10 pm

I'd honestly prefer Samhain to make a comeback but me being me I'd be too lazy and halfassed to observe it and then I'd catch a raft of religious guilt (Is that even a thing, pagan guilt trip?) on top of being too broke, lazy, germaphobic, or misanthropic to put out candy or sew a costume and run around the neighbourhood.

"I noticed you didn't send a child to the Corn Goddess this year, sweetie. You must focus on what's really important, I suppose, such as varsity football. Conall would have been first string starting QB this year, you know. He and your Ian were inseparable! Oh, I bet Ian misses him so."
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:11 pm

It was during that minute in nineteen hundred and eighteen, that millions upon millions of human beings stopped butchering one another. I have talked to old men who were on battlefields during that minute. They have told me in one way or another that the sudden silence was the Voice of God. So we still have among us some men who can remember when God spoke clearly to mankind.

Armistice Day has become Veterans' Day. Armistice Day was sacred. Veterans' Day is not. So I will throw Veterans' Day over my shoulder. Armistice Day I will keep. I don't want to throw away any sacred things.

- Kurt Vonnegut