Shocking Revelations and Epiphanies

beatbandito

Re: Shocking Revelations and Epiphanies

Postby beatbandito » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:22 pm

Genesis Aladdin was one of my developmental games, in that when I was like 8 it was one of 4 or so games I owned.

Even with that freedom of time and limit of options I don't think I ever made it to the third area (like sonic there are multiple levels per area) so good fucking luck.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:40 pm

SNES Aladdin is a Good platformer with Good graphics; Genesis Aladdin is a Mediocre platformer and an Outstanding tech demo*. While "SNES Aladdin is an all-around better video game" is a statement I subjectively agree with, I'd also agree with "Nobody would care much about SNES Aladdin if not for its much more impressive Genesis counterpart."

* And a big broadside cannonball into Nintendo's claim of graphical superiority, right in the heated heart of the Console War.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:10 pm

Yeah, here's the thing.

So while my older brother was the big gamer in the family, I would watch him play (and occasionally take a turn when Mom made him let me play) and he was a Nintendo Fanboy, firmly on the side of "Genesis sucks". And because I worshipped him, so was I. I remember arguing with boys in grade school about it, even though my knowledge of video games was extremely limited (even for the general level of knowledge at the time.)

The thing was, SNES Aladdin was a game we played together, but...

We had a magazine or something that showed screenshots from the Genesis version, and not only did it look better, as Brentai noted, but also Aladdin had a sword.

We both saw that and it shook our belief in the SNES. How could a version of a game be better if it looked worse and also took away your sword?

So yeah, Genesis Aladdin was literally my first wake up call that maybe being a Console Warrior that fought in the Console Wars was stupid.

And now not only that but you're telling me it was made by the EWJ guy.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:35 pm

beatbandito wrote:Genesis Aladdin was one of my developmental games, in that when I was like 8 it was one of 4 or so games I owned.

Even with that freedom of time and limit of options I don't think I ever made it to the third area (like sonic there are multiple levels per area) so good fucking luck.

I never made my way out of the jail level.

I did cheat my way to the later levels -- don't remember if I used passwords or Game Genie or what -- and I remember making it to the last boss but never being able to beat him.

Brentai wrote:SNES Aladdin is a Good platformer with Good graphics; Genesis Aladdin is a Mediocre platformer and an Outstanding tech demo*. While "SNES Aladdin is an all-around better video game" is a statement I subjectively agree with, I'd also agree with "Nobody would care much about SNES Aladdin if not for its much more impressive Genesis counterpart."

* And a big broadside cannonball into Nintendo's claim of graphical superiority, right in the heated heart of the Console War.

I dunno, I think Capcom's reputation as a Disney licensee would have still kept it out of obscurity. Capcom's SNES Disney games aren't as popular as the NES ones, but I've seen retrospectives on Goof Troop and Bonkers.

But yeah the Genesis game absolutely dwarfed it in popularity. I don't know if Retronauts is right but they said it was the #4 Genesis seller of all time. I know I've still got my copy.

Friday wrote:Yeah, here's the thing.

So while my older brother was the big gamer in the family, I would watch him play (and occasionally take a turn when Mom made him let me play) and he was a Nintendo Fanboy, firmly on the side of "Genesis sucks". And because I worshipped him, so was I. I remember arguing with boys in grade school about it, even though my knowledge of video games was extremely limited (even for the general level of knowledge at the time.)

The thing was, SNES Aladdin was a game we played together, but...

We had a magazine or something that showed screenshots from the Genesis version, and not only did it look better, as Brentai noted, but also Aladdin had a sword.

We both saw that and it shook our belief in the SNES. How could a version of a game be better if it looked worse and also took away your sword?

So yeah, Genesis Aladdin was literally my first wake up call that maybe being a Console Warrior that fought in the Console Wars was stupid.

And now not only that but you're telling me it was made by the EWJ guy.

The Retronauts episode does spend some time talking about the sword.

Combat in the game is not great, but there are some wonderful little visual touches. Like if you swing your sword at an apple, it falls in two pieces.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 pm

I just want to put it out there that I did beat Genesis* Aladdin legitimately so it can be done by a mostly-human being, but this was also the period when I was clearing Alien Soldier on Superhard, so level against that standard.

* And SNES, fwiw.

ADDENDUM:

I never made my way out of the jail level.

Just threw the game on the Legitimate Use machine and gotta say, whoof, I don't blame you. It's where the game starts getting a little bit spiteful, and I know it doesn't get any better from there. Be glad you never got to experience the Turbo Tunnels Magic Carpet Ride.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:30 am

are you fucking kidding me this game also has a Turbo Tunnels

I love Turbo Tunnels

yes I know that makes me some kind of psychopath
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:56 pm

I probably did play the carpet level; my recollection is that I tried every level via password or cheat code or something.

But yeah I probably only tried it out for a little bit and then bounced to the next one.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:11 pm

the carpet is definitely the furthest I ever made it. Checking a stage list on Wikipedia I'm disappointed to learn how close I was to the end. I also totally forgot about the first golden scarab level too until I saw it described.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:42 am

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:19 pm

For a second I thought that tweet was by Brad Bird.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:15 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:18 pm

Before I read, I'm going to guess that the fact that the name is a French portmanteau seemingly meaning "thrice-baked" figures into this somehow, 'cause that hit me in the face when I first realized it a few years back.

EDIT: Whooaaaa I was waaaayyyy off. Neat!

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:26 pm

man triscuits are the fucking devil

like seriously i cannot imagine another food that

1. tastes like death
2. cuts your mouth open with edible razor blades
3. dries out your mouth making you crave a drink

I'm a simple girl, you put a slice of salami and a slice of pepperjack between two ritz, and i will om nom nom
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:27 pm

Eating triscuits plain is kinda pointless, yeah.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:15 pm

I love Triscuits. They're big salty Mini Wheats that you don't have to decompose with milk.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon May 18, 2020 1:24 am

I've seen Diana Gabaldon's name before and it always made me think of Gabaldon Hall, one of the dorm buildings on NAU campus. But I never assumed there was any connection between Gabaldon the author and Gabaldon the building; I didn't find out until today that she's from Arizona and that building is named after her father.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:10 pm

Oh. Right! Duh!

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:26 pm

Is that confirmed? I always assumed that Chip was supposed to be dressed like Humphrey Bogart.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:01 pm

Unsure. Chip could be a number of obvious references, but the Magnum PI Dale was something I completely and totally missed.

I guess as a kid in the late 80's and early 90's I was preconditioned to figure that Hawaiian shirts were just a thing.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:26 pm

My brain has frozen, trying to decide if Chip and Dale's fur counts towards their progenitors' chest hair.