In the Land of Wonderful Dreams

Lottel

Re: In the Land of Wonderful Dreams

Postby Lottel » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:22 pm

I had a dream within a dream but the weird part was the innermost dream was a 'lucid dream' as far as my dream was concerned. I kept remembering it was a dream and lucid dreamed in that second layer dream.
But since it was a lucid dream within a dream, my motives and logic were dream logic so upon waking, I just got more confused.

To make my brain hurt more, my dreamself tried to grab his phone and make his lucid dreamself grab his phone so they could manifest something on the lucid dream phone and I woke up also trying to use my phone.

I went too deep and feel very disconnected today.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:25 pm

You ever have a dream where there's, like, a piece of media central to it? Like there's a movie or a tv show or something that the entire dream hinges on as something you've seen, something that existed and you watched it some years ago, and now there's something else and your awareness of that story is just like, background? and then you wake up and go looking for it and your brain just spun that up whole cloth as backstory.

took a nap today and had a dream about being involved in the american tv remake of something that was either a british comedy or an anime, that was like ... half boarding house comedy and half extreme body horror. there's a school, and there are students and teachers, and there's just daily life comedy with that, but also the flipside is that the school is running a secret lab to run experiments with some kind of mutating contagion that either made or was sources from monsters. friendly male teacher was microdosing samples of infected tissue into his bicep to make himself stronger, and you never saw him in anything but long sleeves regardless of the weather because it was just pulsing, bulging, skinless muscle under there.

pretty sure that was never a thing

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:57 am

If I have sexy dreams the people with which sexy things happen generally aren't real people. More like those fake person amalgam images.

But last night I had a dream including what was pretty clearly someone I follow on twitter. And there was no sex stuff, it was just like, dealing with house and cat issues like a boring couple. And I feel like a complete pervert for involving them in this.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:41 pm

You ever have a dream where there's, like, a piece of media central to it? Like there's a movie or a tv show or something that the entire dream hinges on as something you've seen, something that existed and you watched it some years ago, and now there's something else and your awareness of that story is just like, background? and then you wake up and go looking for it and your brain just spun that up whole cloth as backstory.

I know exactly what you mean by this and it happens to me all the time. Weird as hell.

But last night I had a dream including what was pretty clearly someone I follow on twitter. And there was no sex stuff, it was just like, dealing with house and cat issues like a boring couple. And I feel like a complete pervert for involving them in this.

yeah don't. The brain is a weird as hell beast. Sorry you didn't get any sex in your sex dream, that's the worst.
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:21 am

When I was a teenager I had a weird recurring dream where I was in a relationship with an actual succubus. But, like, a completely mundane day-to-day relationship. Sex wasn't involved, though there were arguments about what constituted cheating on her boyfriend and what was just, like, eating a meal.

It wasn't just sex dreams with no sex, it was sex dreams with a literal embodiment of demonic lust in a damn-near-PG-friendly domestic sitcom.

And then it turned out I was actually foreseeing an entire genre of lewd anime and didn't realize enough to capitalize on it, whoops

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:31 pm

Or maybe you just played too much Planescape: Torment.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:17 pm

I maintain that Fall-From-Grace is the best love interest ever written
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:54 pm

nosimpleway wrote:When I was a teenager

Planescape: Torment wrote:Released for Microsoft Windows on December 12, 1999,

Um... no.

Friday wrote:I maintain that Fall-From-Grace is the best love interest ever written

Um... yes.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:23 pm

I haven't remembered any of my dreams for awhile, but I remembered this one. Sort of.

It's the future, on some alien planet. Our hero is a female fighter pilot with a space place that has lasers and missiles and such. She's on one side of something people aren't technically calling a war, but is so close it's nearly indistinguishable. There are two other sides: one that's pretty much openly opposed to our unnamed hero's side, and one that's technically an ally but it's the kind of ally where the most popular wargame is played ad-hoc with live ammo. For her part, our hero is kind of skeptical and unenthusiastic about the war that's slowly building around her.

So she joins the live ammo wargame, but just flies around trying to understand what's going on. During this, she meets a little girl from the other side, who I think was named Nadja. They get to talking, and Nadja is friendly, if a little suspisous of someone from a different side. Our hero likes her, and eventually adopts her as a sort-of little sister. Nadja also has an older brother (and some other siblings?) who is a pilot like our hero, and he has a very sketchy friend. Sketchy friend actually has a contract.

Contracts are a feature of this don't-call-it-a-war no one enirely understands. There's an alien race out there waching the humans on the planet, and every so often they descend in a ball of light to make a contract with a soldier, called by a person with a strong wish. The alien grants the soldier incredible powers and basically makes them unstoppable, but calls for a life to be sacrificed to become the link between the alien and the soldier. The aliens have taken the names of various deities and angels of Earth, but no one knows entirely what they are or what they want. They also don't really care as long as the aliens keep granting people the power to obtain their wishes.

Our hero tries to team up with Nadja's brother and his sketchy friend in order to keep them all alive, but the brother and friend keep lying to her in ways that force her to take big risks to stay alive. During one of these missions, she meets another little boy from the last side, by name of Ali. He's even more suspicious than Nadja, but our hero manages to make friends with him a little.

Eventually our hero gets sick of the brother and friend blatantly trying to get her killed, and goes to confront them about it. But when as she does, cross-fire from the not-a-war gets Nadja and some of her other friends/siblings. Nadja is alive, but barely. Hero is devastated. She starts crying over the girl, begging for Nadja to be saved. And then the battlefield stops.

Our hero looks up in time to see the biggest ball of light anyone's ever seen descending. It's so big you can actually see inside, to a ball of rock as big as a mountain, covered in craters...until one opens to reveal an eye. The entire thing is surrounded by flames.

Our hero stands up, Nadja in her arms, and asks for the girl to be saved. The alien is silent, but she gets the feeling that it's both not the right wish, and Nadja's life isn't enough to seal the contract. The alien does take Nadja, but our hero is forced to strap herself into her plane and make a risky flight to the third side, to find Ali.

Ali's family is pretty high up and important, but our hero has a half-contract so she's able to get through. She gets to where Ali is napping with his brothers, all of whom immediately call the guards. Hero doesn't care. She wakes Ali up and basically lies to him about what's going to happen "do you want the war to end? do you want it to end no matter what?" "yes?", and so our hero ends up sacrificing her other adopted little sibling to the alien in order to make her true wish: End the actually-let's-call-it-a-war, no matter what.

Nadja and Ali are transformed into something like shoulder angels, but those may or may not be the actual people. The alien has been silent this entire time. On the flight back hero starts demanding answers, but the alien is aloof, only giving one cryptic answer in a voice so powerful it nearly destroys our hero to hear it. It never gives a name, unlike the other aliens, but she knows that the only thing it can possibly be is God...or Devil.

Hero flies back home and makes a presentation to the leader of her side, a corrupt man who only really cares that one of his soldiers nabbed the biggest contract anyone's ever seen. Hero by this point is incredibly suspicious of what she's just made a contract with, but can't get anyone to listen to her. With the future in doubt, they all break to get food...and then I woke up.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:29 pm

I had a dream last night where I was hanging out with you guys and a bunch of stuff happened six time or appeared in sixes, so then Thad turned to me and said "When things start appearing in sets of six, that's how you know you're in a dream".

o__O

(sadly, this was not followed by the Enterprise exploding. Would have been a perfect KateStory entry then!)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:54 pm

I started having longform/elaborate dreams again after a very long time without. Not quite sure why? They tend to be a positive sign of mental function, kinda-sorta, so I don't mind (I mean... also they're usually pretty cool).

Last night's offering was Conan, but like, a weird Conan trinity. There were three eternal Conans foretold by... something (not sure if it was a prophecy or what). Each one had a special role in a greater story to save the human race in it's time of need. They weren't contemporaneous, but each had a way of living on to speak with the others.

The First Conan was basically OG Conan and all his original adventures. His job was to make it so that humans and human civilization survived the end of the Hyborean Age and humanity's first great dark age. At the time of the dream, he was already an old, retired, king who basically laughed and ate and drank a lot and fought with his sister-in-law or aunt-in-law or something who was a really shitty houseguest (he drives her away by being Conan haw haw). He also had early cannons which he basically just used for gags. He had basically reached the point where he mostly gave no fucks unless something came up which was a danger to the Conan Trinity.

There were a bunch of Hyborean-age dangers, but the one I remember was a shape morphing devil-goblin who would cause trouble in a petty surely selfish way (he was trying to become the most powerful wizard-goblin or devil or whatever), but which was also irresponsibly dangerous to the fabric of time and the universe, so they would kick his ass and tear out his horns, which depowered him for a long time but not forever. Kind of a Loki vibe but less human and more snivelling creature.

First Conan's Hyborean kingdom had basically become like Tolkien's eternal elvenhome or Valhalla where it was both on earth and not on earth, and you can't go there normally, but people who knew how could go back and forth. First Conan very rarely travels to the "current" world to help Second Conan with advice or even a fight or two.

The Second Conan's story was the bulk of the dream. He's slimmer than the other two Conans and is the "clever" Conan. His role is to reach other civilizations beyond earth, going for an eons-long solo trip in space to reach out to them and form friendships and alliances so that humanity could survive the great dangers and evil powers of the cosmos. The technology for this was kind of Barsoom-y and kind of Macross.

Second Conan lives in a big Italian hotel during - I think - the Renaissance, with all kind of friends and allies from his early adventures, which all had a sort of Cary-Elwes-in-The-Princess-Bride vibe. Mostly they were all D&D character style adventurers who recognized and respected Second Conan as the greatest adventurer of them all. They were a really diverse group from all over the earth, with somewhat more women than men. There were also a couple of go-betweens like a Hyborean valkyrie who normally hung out with First Conan, but occasionally showed up to get Second Conan's help if there was any danger which faced the Conan Trinity as a whole. There was also a group of great scientists Second Conan had assembled through his long adventures to build his interstellar ship, but we didn't see much of them.

Second Conan had also spent many adventures thieving to get funds to support the whole enterprise. By the time of the dream, he mostly spent time foiling plots and smashing groups who wanted to sabotage his eventual journey, including goblin dude and a bunch of sinister time-travelling letter-agency suits who normally fought Third Conan. But also still the occasional brilliant and complex grand heist.

Third Conan hadn't showed up yet at the time of the dream but his special role was to save humanity from its own inhumanity during the modern age. He was supposed to have the biggest heart and the most love of the three (while still being, y'know, Conan). So I guess he would have had a wholesome kind of He-Man vibe. The other two Conans tried to make sure any threats which would prevent the arrival of the third Conan were taken care of (including the time-travelling assholes), but they knew there would be a long period where there would be no Conan directly on earth, so the Second Conan was also trying to make sure as many of his adventurer friends and their descendants or secret societies would carry on the work to ensure the arrival of Third Conan in Second Conan's absence. Eventually all the Conans were expected to reunite to support Third Conan in humanity's darkest hour.

The whole thing was sort of "Conan, but written by TH White".

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:29 pm

I would 100% read a series of books based on that.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:59 am

Dreamed I was back in high school and was trying to figure out my class schedule. I had to go to the office to get it sorted out, and in the middle of talking with the admin there I realised the entire thing was dumb since I had graduated years ago. But I was still trapped in the school, so I just ran around jump-kicking punks until I woke up.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:14 pm

This is great.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:42 am

I was sitting down with a really old couple who were talking about all the ways their bodies didn't work anymore, and as they mentioned their terrible afflictions I was more prominently aware of the same pains in my body.

I'm sure that's not a bad omen.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:41 pm

Sometimes my dreams actually have story elements (in a grassland where it turns out technology is also natural and just randomly spawns in places, and is generally better than human-made tech) but then I notice a decorative line on the naturally-occurring vending machine and then I spend the next...I dunno, quarter hour? intensely tracing that line back and forth. Every other part of the dream fades, it is just a line, that I am tracing. What are you doing, brain?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:47 am

How do I experience, while awake, the tiny fragment of peace and contentment my brain allows me about once a week during a dream?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 am

(Pretty sure the answer is "heavy opioid use")

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:11 pm

Yoji: Do I have permission to share dream journal entries with the brontofighters?

Lexi: Sure. Thanks for asking

Lexi's Dream Journal wrote:I suppose the world has gone non-binary. We are going to an auditorium for a fancy dress event and everyone is dressed fem. Kiddo 01 is wearing a cream dress with tan strappy shoes. I like his outfit. Yoji is wearing a floor-length red dress. It's the shoes that catch my eye- the heels are so high! He is walking gracefully in them. I'm wearing a new leopard-print dress I like. Yoji later takes off the shoes for a more sensible pair. I ask if his feet are hurting. He says he had pain and his toes were going numb but he feels fine after taking them off. I'm impressed he didn't get any blisters.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:37 am

Silver and Brent come up to visit me in Chico. I'm giving them the tour, taking them out to ice cream at Shubert's, a local shop. I give them a tour of Bidwell Park, one of the largest municipal parks in the US. (It's pretty cool irl life ngl lie.) We go swimming at Bear Hole. On the hike back, a dog approaches Brent and sniffs. Brent holds out his hand and lets the dog smell it, then pets him.

"He seems to like you," I comment.

"All dogs like me," Brentai replies. "I am the King of Dogs."

Later, in the car, the three of us are having a discussion about tech and how it relates to social dynamics. Brentai is trying to explain to me why the internet will one day be just like it is in Star Trek. Silver is mostly interested in how cyborg components will affect lolita fashion and swordplay. She seems keenly absorbed in the idea that cyber-dresses will allow swords to fit into/under them without ruining the line of the dress.

I drop them off at their hotel and head over to a party my mom is planning for us at the community center. I'm arguing with her about what food to serve. A dog has gotten loose in the main hall and is knocking shit over, my mom is at her wit's end.

"Don't worry," I tell her. "Brentai has dominion over dogs."

Suddenly Silver and Brent arrive. Silver looks upset. I ask her what's wrong.

"When we went to check in to our hotel, the clerk was asking us all sorts of questions about our gender and sexual orientation and identity. It was incredibly invasive! And illegal."

"That's horrible," I say. "It's too bad the cops won't give a shit."

"Wrong," Silver says. "I am actually an agent of the FBI."

"Seriously?" I ask.

In reply, she splays out her hip and puts her hand on it. The other hand reaches into her dress and removes a badge. She holds it out to me. As she does so, the frame freezes and text appears next to her like a videogame character intro splash screen.

"I'm calling for reinforcements," Silver says, putting away her badge and picking up a payphone.

"Yes, yes. Send every available unit," she says into the phone. I can make out the sound of barking from the phone. Brentai hands me a muffin.

Silver hangs up and starts tapping her foot. A few moments pass.

The front doors break open and a flood of dogs pour into the lobby. Brentai stands on the desk and informs them that they will be "sweeping the area" as they mill around sniffing the floor.

"Leave no stone unturned," he instructs them. The troublemaking dog from earlier knocks over a potted plant.
ImageImageImage