Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Oh those pet peeves

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:34 am

This is great, Lottel

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:03 pm

are there any mice that don't just fuck up and start madly double-clicking with no apparent mechanical reason for the flaw

because i replaced one that was doing it on my left click which was obviously a goddamn annoyance but that is small potatoes compared to my new one that has now after about a year started doing it on the back-thumb button which has made navigating the internet using it as my back key even more infuriating than i ever might have thought possible

i've had it happen on razers and logitechs both at this point so who else should i be trying

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:15 am

I bought a Steelseries Rival 600 after I got tired of Logitechs crapping out in less than a year; the glue keeping the rubber grippy pads on the mouse kinda sucks (one of the pads fell off pretty quickly, but it's nice and smooth where it was and I don't even notice the absence) but I've had it since December 2020 and it's not yet double-clicking/randomly-clicking.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:33 am

Grath wrote:I bought a Steelseries Rival 600 after I got tired of Logitechs crapping out in less than a year; the glue keeping the rubber grippy pads on the mouse kinda sucks (one of the pads fell off pretty quickly, but it's nice and smooth where it was and I don't even notice the absence) but I've had it since December 2020 and it's not yet double-clicking/randomly-clicking.

Had this exact same problem. The Rival 600 was a damn fine mouse and I really like the Steelseries tuning software, but the glue for the pads melts at slightly above 100 degrees, which is enough for the hands to cause them to melt. For me the problem was I couldn't actually get the grip off cleanly, but it wouldn't stay in place. I even sent away for replacement sides but they also melted

Never had clicking issues, though, at least none that weren't software related
signature

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:42 pm

If I see Catcher in the Rye discourse come around one more time I'm going to become the Riddler
signature

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:15 pm

I mean, I'm not opposed to that.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:14 am

Frank Gorshin, John Glover, or Jim Carrey?

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:26 pm

Just body-slamming Jim Rash and Paul Dano there

And as a child of the 90s, John Glover is the closest to a canonical Riddler but if I'm being honest I'm still waiting for a truly classic on-screen Riddler. Perhaps the version of him who lost his memory and becomes a criminal detective
signature

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:02 pm

At the risk of starting up Catcher in the Rye discourse, for my money the actual problem here is a lot of people can't square the idea that protagonist does not equal hero.

This week I've kinda wonderfully heard the book discribed as, "It’s a well written character study of a freaky little guy." but this doesn't seem to be enough for some people.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:37 pm

That does it, I'm becoming Humphry Dumpler!
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:58 pm

a lot of people can't square the idea that protagonist does not equal hero.

oh my god what do you mean do you mean Rick Sanchez and Frank Castle and Travis Bickle and Walter White are not the coolest most best role model hero dudes ever? but I based my entire personality on them
ImageImageImage

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:44 pm

Yeah, but also roll in the, "Robocop is POLITICAL?" People too.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:13 pm

"but I thought Robocop was just about shooting dudes in the dick"

ImageImageImage

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:27 pm

RIDDLE ME THIS, BRONTOS

GUESS WHO DONE FUCKED UP
signature

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:36 pm

All of Twitter, collectively?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:13 am

Holden Caulfield?

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:22 am

I mean I don't twit so I don't know how dumb the conversation is but I kinda feel like on principle debating literature is still a good thing, no matter how dumb and incompetent people are at it?

Anyway I think I probably read Catcher in the Rye at the wrong age to appreciate it. Holden was a bougie whinybutt who spent the whole book complaining about shit that didn't really matter, and it's not like he didn't have legit stuff to be really depressed and angry about but it was on the periphery, barely acknowledged, while he whined about petty bullshit instead, and....I guess that's probably the point. Every teenager is full of impotent rage and directs it at petty bullshit instead of confronting the real trauma in their lives.

I should probably read it again; it's been like 20 years. But I've got a pretty long list of other shit to read. I should probably go through this stack of comics; I know I bought Godland vol 1 and it's gotta be in here somewhere.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:34 am

The Riddler wrote:RIDDLE ME THIS, BRONTOS

GUESS WHO DONE FUCKED UP

Judging by your profile picture, you?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:46 am

Musta royally fucked up.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:36 am

Thad wrote:I mean I don't twit so I don't know how dumb the conversation is but I kinda feel like on principle debating literature is still a good thing, no matter how dumb and incompetent people are at it?

It would be a less annoying discourse if it were just about the merits of the book itself, instead of always being attached to a "Don't date people who read these books" rationale that often seeks to cast judgement on those who read it while also trying to find intellectual superiority in NOT engaging with the work. Someone CitR and Infinite Jest always come across as red-flags more than like, The Turner Diaries

Anyway I think I probably read Catcher in the Rye at the wrong age to appreciate it. Holden was a bougie whinybutt who spent the whole book complaining about shit that didn't really matter, and it's not like he didn't have legit stuff to be really depressed and angry about but it was on the periphery, barely acknowledged, while he whined about petty bullshit instead, and....I guess that's probably the point. Every teenager is full of impotent rage and directs it at petty bullshit instead of confronting the real trauma in their lives.

Holden is definitely the reigning champ of never talking about the things that are actually bothering him. He's whiny, even for a 17-year-old, but the parts of the book I picked up more on a re-read when I was older is that he's very much avoiding talking about his dead brother and extremely confused sexuality, but he ends the book by revealing that he's being institutionalized after a nervous breakdown.

Anyway I'm gonna go blow up a greeting card factory or the Wordle servers or some shit
signature