Oh those pet peeves

Büge

Re: Oh those pet peeves

Postby Büge » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:36 am

Holden Caulfield must prove he isn't a robot in the gripping sequel novel, Captcha in the Rye.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:43 am

Please click on all images containing a body meeting a body coming through the rye
signature

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:00 am

Catcher in the Rye? I hardly know 'er!

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:48 pm

Büge wrote:Holden Caulfield must prove he isn't a robot in the gripping sequel novel, Captcha in the Rye.

In lieu of a karma button,

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:52 pm

Grath wrote:Catcher in the Rye? I hardly know 'er!

If I were a 7th grade english teacher I'd accept this character analysis.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:43 pm

Courtesy of zara retweeting it:
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:29 pm

Thanks, definitely real person!

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:27 pm

yeah can a mod delete that post with a shadylink in it and ban that fucking bot? thanks.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:36 pm

Oh man, good eye Friday.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:36 am

It should be illegal to print a shipping label for an item more than 24 hours before you actually ship it.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:32 pm

Yep hi sorry done.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:25 pm

Went out to vote today (municipal election's on).

I live in a ward where we've got a good, long-tenured city councillor, the sort that doesn't get much competition until they retire. Which, that's fine! I like her!

So in that vein sometimes it's nice to toss a young progressive a vote instead of the incumbent who doesn't need any help; they won't win but hey, let's show some encouragement and maybe they'll up their game and try again? If they accidentally get in somehow, well... it's not like I'm voting for someone I'd be actively upset to see win; that's not how this works!

So anyway, there were a couple of young newcomers on the ballot for our ward, but damn, not even one person put in the work like they were running a real campaign! Only one even had a website and profile in major papers and that was was tone-deaf, and the website didn't even have any policy positions. Just a couple no-effort, wasted deposit non-candidates.

Kind of disappointing to just throw my vote on the incumbent's landslide pile.

Oh and we have a guy running for mayor (park architect & city planner from Bogota who's literally done work for over 350 cities) who's actually an amazingly qualified and intelligent urbanist - how many times in a life do you get to vote for someone who actually knows and understands how to run a city who didn't stumble ineptly into figuring that out several years after being voted into office? But that's good, right? yeah but he'll probably come in second to the current mayor - an 8-year incumbent who is literally as Generic 'Centrist' White Guy as it gets, down to literally being named John Tory - because that's just how we roll in this town.

Other than Rob Ford we've had about three decades of extremely bland, wonderbread do-nothing mayors. Geez, at least Mel Lastman was entertaining. Well... entertaining in the same way that "When Buildings Fall Down." is entertaining.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:23 pm

Good ol' SEO spam.

Don't fucking put the current year in the title of your article unless it was written, or at least updated, this fucking year. Don't put "2022" in your header on a page that was last updated in 2018 and lists a bunch of shit that's been discontinued and quadrupled in price.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:47 pm

Possibly not the best thread, but has anyone had major issues with USPS tracking lately? I've tracked four packages since August, all of which stopped updating after USPS pickup, not showing anything until after delivery. It made things somewhat awkward with two items I was sending out for important paperwork.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:41 am

beatbandito wrote:Possibly not the best thread, but has anyone had major issues with USPS tracking lately? I've tracked four packages since August, all of which stopped updating after USPS pickup, not showing anything until after delivery. It made things somewhat awkward with two items I was sending out for important paperwork.

Not any issues here. I have a PO Box I get everything delivered to (including Fedex, UPS, etc), and haven't had any issues with tracking, either my sent or received. Have you talked to someone at the post office about it? They might be able to help.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:04 pm

Bought a new electric toothbrush. It has an insert explaining that it doesn't include a power brick because Philips is committed to sustainability.

And look, I've got USB power jacks in my bathroom. I don't need a power brick, I'm fine with not having a power brick, if there had been a power brick it would have just gone in the drawer with all the other extra power bricks I already have. I'm perfectly satisfied with the lack of a power brick.

But don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. Don't tell me a cost-cutting decision is actually an ethical one. If Philips gave a sideways fuck about sustainability, I wouldn't be buying a new toothbrush, I'd be replacing the fucking battery in my old one.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:17 am

I may have just shouted "lick my balls" at a game because it gave me Xbox button prompts even though I was using a PlayStation controller, and then mocked me for pressing the wrong buttons.

So, I realize we're squarely in First World Problems here, but, like, mocking the player for not playing the game correctly -- especially in the first half-hour -- is a "maybe don't do that" thing in itself? But especially don't do it on PC games where there are like eleventy billion things that might cause shit to go wrong that are not the player's fault?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:50 pm

I hate that XBox-style prompts became the standard, because dammit I grew up on the SNES, and the labels are the same but the layout is different. You say "A", I'm reaching for the button on the right, not the one on the bottom.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:48 pm

Where's X? It could be anywhere!

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:57 pm

I think the problem, ultimately, is less that Dreamcast/Xbox labeling became standard than that Nintendo made the baffling decision of combining Latin letters with Japanese-style right-to-left reading order. Y-X, B-A may be what my muscle memory says, but it's still objectively wrong.