Oh those pet peeves

Thad

Re: Oh those pet peeves

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:39 pm

Though a hex screw probably wouldn't work at the size I'm talking about (specifically, taking the bottom plate off a laptop and swapping out a hard drive). Torx screws seem like they'd probably be less prone to stripping than Philips screws; I used to hate the damn things on the old Compaqs, but that had nothing to do with any inherent problems with the design and everything to do with my often not having a properly-sized Torx bit onhand.

Really what the Philips head has going for it is its ubiquity and convenience. It used to be that no matter where I was or what I was doing, if somebody asked me to take a look at their computer, I could say "Sure, get me a Philips-head screwdriver." Now it's "Sorry, I don't have my tools with me."

Anyhow, I swapped out a hard drive on my wife's Inspiron laptop for an SSD, and it avoided most of the modern trends of non-user-serviceable parts. Unscrew two screws, pop a bunch of stupid little plastic tabs, and then you've got access to the RAM, the wifi, and the hard drive right there. Four more screws to disconnect the hard drive caddy, then four more to remove the drive from the caddy.

I could have done without the stupid little plastic tabs, but other than that I was pleasantly surprised. I'm still looking into maybe getting a new laptop, and this does make me more inclined to go with Dell.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:44 pm

Apparently there's a standard called Pozidriv that's common in Europe and it looks like it's halfway between a Philips and a Torx.

While a Phillips screwdriver has slightly tapered flanks, a pointed tip, and rounded corners, a Pozidriv screwdriver has parallel flanks, a blunt tip, and additional smaller ribs at 45° to the main slots.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:46 pm

Spent half an hour trying to figure out where I left my damn thermal paste before I thought to check the box where all my other case/motherboard/power supply shit is.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:34 pm

No Google, I do not want your unprompted personalized privacy suggestions. What the fuck.

Fuck. Off.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:29 am

So, if you try to use Amazon without Prime, every page they give you a giant reminder that they're ripping you off, and will only stop ripping you off if you sub back up.

If you accidentally click one of these links to resub as it loads up in the middle of an otherwise normal page, that's it, you're resubbed. You can cancel the next month's payment but otherwise you're back in, baby.

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:40 am

I sort of appreciate the reminder to buy my shit anywhere else if at all possible.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:11 pm

Here's a new one:

Watching Korone play Rockman 1, and seeing her chat keep telling her to use her charge buster.

Kids, lawn.
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:00 pm

I can't believe that kids these days don't even know that Mega Man 1 doesn't have a charge buster or magnet beam.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:49 pm

Yeah, but you forgetting you had magnet beam and suffering through the vanishing blocks because of it was really funny.
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:10 pm

jump jump slide slide

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:55 pm

okay i just got to the part where she gets to iceman vanishing blocks

right at the start she accidentally selects magnet beam, shoots it, stands on it, says "huh?" and then deselects it for 30 minutes while stuck there

it's just as funny the second time
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:32 pm

Why in the fuck does Google Maps NEVER fucking label rivers??!?! STILL, after what... two decades?!?!?! WHAT HAVE YOU GOT AGAINST RIVERS, GOOGLE.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:37 pm

A river forked their OS.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:28 pm

Twice.
ImageImageImage

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:03 pm

Mongrel wrote:Why in the fuck does Google Maps NEVER fucking label rivers??!?! STILL, after what... two decades?!?!?! WHAT HAVE YOU GOT AGAINST RIVERS, GOOGLE.

Maps probably doesn't have the name for whatever river you're looking at, or you're not looking hard enough, because I knew the people who were (as of two years ago) running the tool which (among other things) updated the centerline of rivers when the edges get redrawn for the purposes of having a line to put the river's name on.

Here's a local reservoir, clearly labeled:
Here's the labels on the Hudson, complete with the label for the Tappan Zee section where it gets wider:

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:01 pm

Hell, I get annoyed at how hard it is for G-maps to display the name of a street sometimes. I'm sure Noodles & Co. paid a lot of money to make sure their stores are always front-and-center no matter what I'm searching for or what my zoom level is but god damn can you put the ad away for a second and just let me see the name of the street I need to turn onto

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:11 pm

Grath wrote:
Mongrel wrote:Why in the fuck does Google Maps NEVER fucking label rivers??!?! STILL, after what... two decades?!?!?! WHAT HAVE YOU GOT AGAINST RIVERS, GOOGLE.

Maps probably doesn't have the name for whatever river you're looking at, or you're not looking hard enough, because I knew the people who were (as of two years ago) running the tool which (among other things) updated the centerline of rivers when the edges get redrawn for the purposes of having a line to put the river's name on.

I mean, I'm not surprised that (at least) some bits of New York have their waterways properly labelled. Especially since NY has water traffic. Even I know that "NEVER" is a frustrated generalization. (I mean, the oceans are labelled.... lol)

But without fail, anytime in the past decade I've been looking at Europe, or Canada, or Asia or wherever and wondered what the name of a river was, it was blank no matter how far in I zoomed. For example, the river I was looking for most recently was the Restigouche. It's not huge but it's pretty important, because it forms about half the border between New Brunswick and Québec! It's not some little creek, it has a bunch of tributaries, none of which are named either!

Sure maybe that information is deemed low priority, but like I said, the app is 20 years old and if they've got the resources to fuckin poke a camera into the living rooms of every house in North America, maybe at some point they could take a little time to feed it some old survey maps so it can properly fulfill a map's most basic function?

It feels like such an American attitude "Oh well we got all the roads on there (and the landmarks tourist traps), what else do you need?"

nosimpleway wrote:Hell, I get annoyed at how hard it is for G-maps to display the name of a street sometimes. I'm sure Noodles & Co. paid a lot of money to make sure their stores are always front-and-center no matter what I'm searching for or what my zoom level is but god damn can you put the ad away for a second and just let me see the name of the street I need to turn onto

Oh yeah, this too.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:34 am

I miss Noodles & Co. though, damn it.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sun May 09, 2021 5:59 am

the patient didn't make it but the're knees look great

well, that's a new one
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 09, 2021 9:27 am

Mongrel wrote:Oh yeah, this too.

After this post I got a screenshot on my phone of Google Maps labeling slapping "Del Taco" onto a major arterial road in a way that looks pretty convincingly like that's the name of the actual street

but uploading just seems like so much effort ya know