Pets!

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Pets!

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:55 pm

Honestly, yeah, it sounds like it might be time for her to get some well-earned rest.

:(

I'm so sorry dude.

atog

Postby atog » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:41 pm

:(((

Poor sweet li'l ol' toofyhead.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:20 pm

My condolences. Losing pets is always really hard.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:39 am

Sorry to hear. Saying goodbye is hard. But it sounds like you're acutely aware that a day comes when it's the kind and humane thing to do, and that's all part of the love and care you've given your friend these eleven years. Which is a good long run for most breeds, let alone the larger ones.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:12 pm

It's sad and bad, but it's honestly been on the horizon for a while. And who knows, this might be an improvement over what happened with Cougar, our last fat floofball cat. She just got really sick, stopped eating, and the vet said it was something like cancer and she should probably be put to sleep. I think the whole thing happened in like three days. At least with Poppy we'll have a chance to say goodbye on our own terms.

In the meantime, Poppy's still Poppy. She was barking like crazy last night, and when my mother-in-law went to see what was up she found a freakin' raccoon. We keep a supply of raw unshelled peanuts to feed a pregnant squirrel who's been visiting our yard, but all the humans big and small can't keep their paws off them either. I guess my daughter took the bag into her playhouse out back and left it there overnight. It's a bit of a mess, but I can't get too mad; the animals are just hungry, they have a hard lot in the world, and they were here before us humans started causing trouble.

-----

In other news, Oreo's at the vet today, getting fixed I think. We're debating whether we should microchip him or not, and my wife maybe casually suggested a GPS collar. Does anyone have any experience with those? I thought about those once and how it might be useful and interesting and fun to see where the little bastards go every night. I think the price was the only thing that turned me away.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:42 pm

Yoji wrote:We keep a supply of raw unshelled peanuts to feed a pregnant squirrel who's been visiting our yard, but all the humans big and small can't keep their paws off them either. I guess my daughter took the bag into her playhouse out back and left it there overnight. It's a bit of a mess, but I can't get too mad; the animals are just hungry, they have a hard lot in the world, and they were here before us humans started causing trouble.

-----

In other news, Oreo's at the vet today, getting fixed I think. We're debating whether we should microchip him or not, and my wife maybe casually suggested a GPS collar. Does anyone have any experience with those? I thought about those once and how it might be useful and interesting and fun to see where the little bastards go every night. I think the price was the only thing that turned me away.

First, I'm so sorry to hear that you might have to lose a pet. I still get teary eyed when I think about my pets as a kid.
Second, that's so sweet. I love raccoons and squirrels.
Third, I had just seen a Twitter thread about how when some animals get GPS tagged in the wild, all it shows is that they hang around in a tiny area and are boring as hell. I relate to those animals.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:52 pm

Last night it was stormy. Dog sat beside the bed panting for a little bit, then crawled under the bed.

Around 5 AM she woke me up with confused crying. I looked under the bed and saw that she had crawled all the way across to the other side, under my wife's side of the bed; presumably she'd woken up startled and not knowing where she was or why she couldn't stand up.

I walked around the bed and pulled her out. She ran out of the room to get a running start and then jumped up on the people bed. My wife slept through the whole thing.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:23 am

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:41 pm

Wait what does Esper's post mean, I don't speak anime girl

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:57 pm

I've been wondering the same thing but was too afraid to ask in case it was bad news. :(

I think it's a Non Non Biyori screenshot? But I've never watched that so I still dunno.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:44 pm

It's a still from the ep where Renge (the girl in the pic) captures some tadpole shrimp, and then is sad when later they die.

I'm afraid it probably means either Ramona or Julian has passed.

Sorry, Esper.
ImageImageImage

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:31 am

Julian died shortly after midnight on September 22, 2022.

He purred to the very end.

He was the best man.

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:53 am

Cat had every disease known to science, to the point where it was easier to provide a list of organs that weren't impacted in some way (lungs, spleen) than to provide a list of his ailments.

He was absolutely trusting and loving, and even though he was raggedy as hell by the end, he kept purring.

What a wonderful little loaf.

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

atog

Postby atog » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:08 am

;______; What a sweet lil senior kittizen. Bless every moment you had together. >^..^<

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:13 am

:((((((

I'm so sorry Esperath. That poor little raggedy thing. ;___;

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:06 am

I'm so sorry, Esperath.

Thank you for loving this little loaf through his final moments
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:55 am

All my love to you, your wife and Ramona. Amazing pictures as usual, by the way.
ImageImageImage

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:00 pm

I think I mentioned in the How Was Your Day thread about how my partner's family ended up taking home a rescue dog (that was noticed, removed from its owner, and adopted all during the course of a dinner). That was a couple weeks ago now, and my partner has been dogsitting for the last week. He's doing better! Fuzz is starting to grow in on the bald spots, his hookworm and heartworm is treated, he'll get vaccines and neutered and eye surgery soon. He's also cowering a whole lot less, which is great, and starting to play with toys. I feel like playing must be a good sign. He mostly wants to be cuddled at all times, which seems like insecurity. Anyway figured I couldn't mention him without a pic:

Oh yeah and his name now is Biscuit. Vet thinks he's probably 3-4 years old, and partly Jack Russel Terrier.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:29 pm

oh my goodness somebodys a lil sweetheart just look at him ;____;

atog

Postby atog » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:44 pm

Bisuketto-kun you're a star!