Pets!

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Pets!

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:48 pm

I would have said that arrhythmia can be more common in cats and not to worry until the vet gives Lola's heart a proper review, but having to hand water her is a bit more scary. Then again my FIL's cat lived for quite a few years after she went through a period of having to be hand-watered, so I guess, yeah, just wait to see what the vet says.

(also it's odd that they didn't test for that before anaesthesia, as pre-anesthesia testing is a very common requirement AFAIK, but eh, it's a groomer not a vet so I dunno)

atog

Postby atog » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:01 am

Just gonna preface this by saying I'm not a vet, so please make an appointment with your vet to talk this over and gather as much data as you can from the sources.

Kidney disease can cause electrolyte imbalances, which can cause arrhythmias.
Cats can also get arrhythmias due to any combination of the same things that precipitate irregularities in the human heart.

Aging, acute stress, dietary deficiencies, and pre-existing heart disease that may or may not even be known to the person, can push the heart to lose its rhythm when put under some new strain ("a trip to the vet/barber" might be the feline equivalent of "shoveling snow" for classic tipping-points for new cardiac troubles).

Lastly, some cats are genetically prone to heart muscle disease which can manifest as congestive heart failure, arrhythmias, or a mix of both. This may show up early in life or later, just depends on a lot of mitigating factors and variations.

It means your cat needs her heart and kidneys checked before you plan anything requiring anesthesia, sedation, or prolonged food and fluid restriction.

Maybe also thyroid - that was the culprit in my dad's cat. She was losing weight and uninterested in water or food because of a hyperactive thyroid. It's pretty common in senior kitti-zens, and hyperthyroidism can cause arrhythmias among other things. Correcting the thyroid problem may cause the heart problem to go away as well.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:05 pm

Cat wakes up from where he's been napping in my lap for two hours. Squeaks insistently that he needs something.

I spend half an hour going through the checklist. He doesn't want out. He doesn't want food. He doesn't want water. He doesn't want play.

Finally I give up and decide to go to bed since I've been up all night.

He immediately jumps up, settles on top of me, and starts purring contentedly. The thing he wanted was the very thing I was putting off to tend to him!

How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:36 am

she'll show you how many boners the joker can make

aircat

exploradora

raspberry heaven

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:47 pm

A+ catto

How does she look as a hat?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:47 pm

Kids were both quite sick with something last week into this one where they were mostly acting normally but Elwood would simply not eat anything and Jake couldn't keep anything down, even water. Elwood came round first after we plied him with enough treats that he got some decent nourishment in him. Eventually took Jake in for some fluids/anti-nausea injection/appetite goosing.

Anyway, I dunno if I caught what they had or something different but I've been virulently sick the past two days, and most of the time when I lie down Elwood comes to curl up next to me in a very visible effort to comfort me and afdftyregfyugtuhtughkiddo

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:59 pm

Ramona remains the most statistically photogenic cat

here is my data

ImageImageImage

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:54 pm

Friday wrote:Ramona remains the most statistically photogenic cat

here is my data

where's to love ru
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:49 pm

broadcast or OVA
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:58 pm

broadcats

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:35 pm

Wow I had no idea I rated so close to Ramona.
Maybe some day I can put Ramona on my head and win the Internet.