Kickstarter and other crowdfunding

Blossom

Re: Kickstarter

Postby Blossom » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:30 pm

that feels like an absurd price point per episode

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:20 pm

i'd rather pay $~30 per episode of MST3K if they only reach the bare minimum than the same price for NEW DISNEY IN THEATERS RELEASE though

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:59 pm

Niku wrote:i'd rather pay $~30 per episode of MST3K if they only reach the bare minimum than the same price for NEW DISNEY IN THEATERS RELEASE though

I'm pretty sure we're going to get more than 3 episodes, the way this is going. They're already at $1.1 million, on day 1. I'd be pretty surprised if they don't hit at least $3.3 million (6 episodes) by the time this is over.

I don't know how likely they are to hit their highest stretch goal, $5.5M (12 episodes + 12 shorts). The last one got about $5.8M plus another $600K outside of Kickstarter; on the one hand, it had the advantage of being the first new MST3K since 1999, but on the other hand, the show's presumably got some new fans since its 2 seasons on Netflix. If I had to guess, I'd say this one probably closes out lower than that one did, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:39 pm

"Classics, But Make it Gay"

A book of taking famous art throughout history and filtering it through an LGBTQIA+ and POC-inclusive lens.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:24 pm

Thad wrote:Let's Make More MST3K & Build THE GIZMOPLEX!

The idea this time is they're not going to shop it to networks, they're going to set up their own video site.

$35 gets you a 3-month subscription and lets you stream the first 3 episodes when they premier. $100 gets you a digital download of "every new episode we make" (I assume meaning the 3-12 they're planning to make as part of this Kickstarter, not every new episode in perpetuity).

They're being a lot stingier on the classic episode rewards this time than last time; you get 10 old episodes to download at the $250 tier. Maybe they'll do what they did last time and introduce a digital-only tier later on in the campaign.

They've also added some add-on rewards, per these updates:

An Update About Updates. Plus: More Answers About Rewards, Pledge Levels & Add-Ons!

Starting Now: Our FIRST TWO BONUS CHALLENGES! Plus: Five Easy Ways to Unlock FREE REWARDS!

So the cheapest way to get the full new season now is actually to pledge $15 then choose the season 13 box set as a $70 add-on. You won't get any of the streaming/download access that way, though, and you'll be waiting awhile to actually get to *see* the new episodes.

(ETA: I previously said "pledge $1" but it appears you have to pledge at least $15 to be eligible for add-ons.)

(ETA to the ETA: Now you just have to pledge $5 to be eligible for add-ons.)

They've also added a few sets of episode downloads as add-ons -- $60 will get you season 11, $30 will get you season 12, and in case you didn't get the classic episodes that were part of the last Kickstarter, you can get 10 of them for $10 or all 18 (including the first two KTMA episodes) for $15.

Course, since I got the download tier on the last Kickstarter, I've already got all that stuff except for season 12 (which is still on Netflix and presumably not going anywhere since it's a Netflix production).

There's the $150 tier to get 5 episodes and the $250 tier to get 10 (and they've said they won't be the same episodes from the last Kickstarter), but...that's not a good value proposition. The difference between $100 and $150 to get 5 episodes comes out to $10 an episode, which is just what they cost to download at Rifftrax or vhx.tv anyway (and Rifftrax has frequent sales). And then another $100 to get 5 more is an even worse value proposition. Joel seems to be implying in that latest update that they might be adding more, so it may become a better value proposition once it's revised, but...$150 still seems like a lot of money no matter how you slice it. Still hoping they add the classic episode downloads as an add-on or a digital-only tier or something.

But hey, it looks like they finally sorted the rights to Quest of the Delta Knights, which is pretty exciting as it's one of those last remaining episodes that's never been commercially released and was filed under "probably never gonna happen". It's not clear whether they'll be able to give it a standalone release, though, or whether they're just going to make it available to Kickstarter backers (like the aforementioned first two KTMA episodes).

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:18 am

Thad wrote:Maybe they'll do what they did last time and introduce a digital-only tier later on in the campaign.

Yup. The $85 digital tier has returned. Includes season 13 plus 10 5 classic episodes and vol 2 of the soundtrack. (And last time, that 10 episodes turned into 18 by the end.) If you ask me, this is the one to get.

ETA Apparently the "10 classic episodes" thing was a copy-paste error and they only meant to offer 5. The listing has been updated (though anyone who pledged before the change will still get all 10). You can get all 10 classic episodes for $115 by pledging $85 and then adding the other 5 as an add-on reward for $30. I still think this is probably the best tier to get but I'm a little less enthusiastic about it than I was.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue May 04, 2021 3:57 pm

Jeff Smith is bringing back Tuki for two graphic novels, Tuki: Fight for Fire and Tuki: Fight for Family.

Per an interview with the Beat, this isn't a collection of the webcomic, it's been reworked from the ground up:

The webcomic version of TUKI, later reprinted in four comic book issues, was set aside for various reasons. For one I was busy co-founding the comics festival CXC with Vijaya [Iyer, Jeff’s wife], Lucy Shelton Caswell, and Tom Spurgeon. But mostly, I felt TUKI needed to be reworked to flow better. I was trying at the time to replicate the feeling of classic Sunday pages like Flash Gordon or Prince Valiant, and while it seemed to work on the web, when collected, the one-page-a-week format had a start and stop feeling that didn’t allow the story to come to life in a way that satisfied me. Also, when the children showed up in the strip, I realized this is a story about family, and I needed to start over from the beginning. Which I did! This is essentially a new piece of work.

This is one of those Kickstarters where the books are already finished, they just need to be printed and distributed, so it should be a safe bet to back. It's also got multiple tiers spaced out nicely; $10 will get you a digital copy of book 1, $15 will get you digital copies of both books, $40 will get you physical copies of both books, $60 will get you all that plus some art prints, and so on.

I fucking love me some Jeff Smith. The complete edition of Bone is probably my pick for "if you own only one comic, it should be this one." Shazam vs. the Monster Society of Evil is just about goddamn perfect too. Rasl didn't quite hit the same highs as those other books, but it was still one I enjoyed and looked forward to.

So yeah, anyway this looks like a good one to back.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 06, 2021 6:24 pm

Thad wrote:I don't know how likely they are to hit their highest stretch goal, $5.5M (12 episodes + 12 shorts). The last one got about $5.8M plus another $600K outside of Kickstarter; on the one hand, it had the advantage of being the first new MST3K since 1999, but on the other hand, the show's presumably got some new fans since its 2 seasons on Netflix. If I had to guess, I'd say this one probably closes out lower than that one did, but maybe I'll be surprised.

$5.15M at the time of this writing, with 28 hours to go. They're on track to surprise me.

Even if they don't beat $5.8M, it's looking pretty likely they'll hit $5.5M by tomorrow and we'll get 12 episodes and 12 shorts.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri May 07, 2021 1:22 pm

They passed $5.5M last night; $5.8M is pretty much in the bag (as of this posting they're at $5.7M with 9 hours to go). Final stretch goal is ~$6.4M (to beat their final Kickstarter + off-site rewards total from the last campaign), at which point they'll make a 13th episode, a Christmas special with Joel, Jonah, and Emily all appearing.

They've also increased classic-episode rewards, so if you pick "5 classic episodes" you'll actually get 11 episodes and 20 shorts, and if you pick "10" you'll get 21 episodes and 20 shorts.

Some good ones in there.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:39 am

John Paul Leon's THE WINTER MEN Artist's Edition

THE WINTER MEN is the project John Paul Leon was most proud of. None of its gorgeous artwork has ever been sold or left his Miami studio, except to be scanned for this book. Now, as a tribute to the renowned artist, JP’s closest friends have united to publish an Artist's Edition of this modern comics masterpiece, with all proceeds proudly going to JP’s wife and daughter.

Please pledge your support and join JP's studio-mates and Project Organizers Tommy Lee Edwards & Bernard Chang, Book Editor & Project Initiator Scott Dunbier, and artists Bill Sienkiewicz, Lee Weeks, Duncan Fegredo, Sean Phillips, Kim Jung Gi, Denys Cowan, Walter Simonson and Joe Quesada (who are all contributing brand new pin-ups) in celebration of an astonishing and inspiring body of work. John Paul Leon’s THE WINTER MEN Artist’s Edition features 184 pages of full-size 12 x 17 scans of all of the original comic art pages, along with never-before-seen concepts, layouts, sketches, unused art and pin-ups.

The book's a pretty steep $150 (plus you're going to need a place where you can store a 17" tall book), but various signed art prints are available for $50 each or two for $90. Or you can just make a donation.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:35 am

Winter Men was absolutely incredible in that it contains the most accurate rendering of Russian conversations in English I've ever seen. Was a pretty good series too, with great art.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:33 pm

Thad wrote:Gamemaster Classified

[...]

Looks to be laid out like an oversized issue of Nintendo Power. The book's already hit its funding goal, but it's got 6 days left and if you want to kick in it's $19 for a PDF and $39 plus shipping for a hardcover. There are still some stretch goals, too; at $80,000 they'll add a section on merchandise, and at $100,000 they'll add a section on Japanese games Nintendo decided not to localize.

Level 6 cleared...finally! Lost in Translation section on the way

Neat. Looks like it's coming along.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:53 pm

Nathan Rabin's latest Kickstarter: The Fractured Mirror, collecting his long-running series of articles about movies about the movie industry.

He'll show you the life of the mind.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:44 pm

The Completed Saucer Country finishes up the twice-canceled series by Paul Cornell and Ryan Kelly. For those who haven't read any of it, you can get the complete run; for those of you who already have the rest of it, you can just order the finale.

It's a good one, though reading it today is going to make its politics feel extremely dated. (It started in 2012 and it shows. It's very much a product of an era where the dynamic was Obama-versus-Romney and people like Bill Richardson and Nikki Haley were considered rising stars. It's a story that's firmly rooted in American politics that bears no resemblance to what they look like today.) It's about a woman who's running for president while hiding her crazy-sounding-but-true story of being abducted by aliens. I really enjoyed it at the time; I was a fan of both Cornell and Kelly before this series and I think they did some great work together.

CW for one issue that involves a story of child abuse. It's not explicit but it's affecting.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:10 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:19 pm

I saw these already because I actually know the guy who's making them (sculptor Andrew May). :3

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:02 pm

Well, they're awesome and I had to share. <3

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:19 pm

Büge wrote:Well, they're awesome and I had to share. <3

They are! And folks other than me can see them this way!

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:26 pm

Demon Squad 2 Kickstarter.

The first one was on the most recent season of MST3K and I thought it was great. One of those cheapies that was clearly a labor of love.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:52 pm

Thad wrote:Demon Squad 2 Kickstarter.

Unsuccessful, but they're planning on paring it down to a simpler and cheaper sequel. Second attempt launches tomorrow.