Things That Go in Your Mouth

Thad

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:35 pm

A couple of years back I went to a little place called the Noisy Water Winery in Cloudcroft, New Mexico. They have good salsa, under the Relleno Bros. brand.

I sampled them all and remember them all being pretty good but the roasted tomatillo was my favorite. I long since used it up and I'm considering ordering more.

(Note for anyone heat-averse: the line on that one is right on the border between "medium" and "hot", and that's where I'd put it on my personal scale, but I'll note that's probably equivalent to "you can feel it burn but not enough to make you hiccup and sweat." It's considerably hotter than the salsas marked "hot" at most of my local grocery stores, so if spicy's not your thing maybe try the medium since they don't appear to have a mild.)

Büge

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby Büge » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:19 pm

I made some Tinga de Pollo today, and Mongrel and atog insisted that I share the recipe. I adapted it from the recent Binging with Babish episode on the Meat Tornado from Parks and Rec.

1 pound chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on
1 onion, rough chopped
2-4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 14oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 can chipotles in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper

Add the chicken to an oiled pan on medium-high, cook on both sides until golden brown. Remove to a plate.
Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until they pick up some colour and scorch marks.
Deglaze the pan with the chicken stock and vinegar, then dump in the tomatoes, chipotles (with sauce), oregano, and cumin, and stir.
Bring the sauce up to a simmer and lay the chicken breasts on top. Cover* the pan and let simmer for 45 minutes or so.
Transfer the chicken breasts to a plate. Use an immersion blender to blend the vegetables into the sauce, leaving some chunks for texture.
Remove the bones and skin of the chicken, and shred the meat with a pair of forks. Return the shredded meat to the pan, and mix in with the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
Let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes, taste for seasoning.

Serve immediately on rice or burritos or your food vector of choice.

*in the video, Babish leaves the lid slightly open, but I tried that and almost all the liquid in my sauce boiled off and it was scorching the bottom of the pan. I had to bring it back to a more saucy thickness by adding a ½ cup of water every minute and stirring until it had the consistency I wanted. Next time I'll just leave the lid on completely.