Things That Go in Your Mouth

nosimpleway

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby nosimpleway » Fri May 21, 2021 9:05 pm

Probably too hot when you put the eggs in. If you have a wire strainer you can use a silicone spatula to push the pastry cream through it and filter out all the little bits of scrambled egg. Choux paste might not work, depending on the strainer. It's sticky stuff.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri May 21, 2021 9:37 pm

It was an eggs problem with the cream, I'll try the strainer. The choux was quite cool, I just don't quite understand how I was supposed to incorporate eggs into a firm ball of dough.

*I'm using the Ladureé _Sucré_ cookbook and assuming the recipes for French pastry are legit af.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Sat May 22, 2021 10:52 pm

Whatever imperfections I introduced, they still turned out delicious!

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun May 23, 2021 6:44 am

sure, hide the cream from our judgement

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun May 23, 2021 11:25 am

Silver omg those look so good
ImageImageImage

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun May 23, 2021 11:57 am

Those look like really uncomfortable shoes.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun May 23, 2021 12:07 pm

I don't understand how nothing has welded itself to the tray. Sorcery.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Sun May 23, 2021 12:49 pm

Grath wrote:Those look like really uncomfortable shoes.

i c what u did there

Mharr, I baked them on a silpat with 1.5" circles pre-printed. I moved them to the aluminum tray for transport. They fell right off the silpat.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun May 23, 2021 2:29 pm

Sorcery confirmed

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun May 23, 2021 2:43 pm

A silpat is clearly some sort of spell.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun May 23, 2021 3:13 pm

I cast Silversong's Slippery Silpat!

Kishi

Postby Kishi » Mon May 24, 2021 12:57 pm

Guacamole with queso fresco.

Broccoli slaw with shallots, currants, and toasted almonds, in a yogurt-based dressing.

Rhubarb pie.

All made yesterday for the local atheist potluck.

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon May 24, 2021 6:24 pm

That slaw needs to be in my mouth.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:17 pm

Making puffs again, this time omitting the sugar and going to try to make a paste of smoked salmon, creme fraiche, capers and dill to fill them with.
I got some pro tips from Serious Eats-- heat the dough on the stove to 165-175F, let cool to 145F before adding the eggs, use the stand mixer with the paddle to incorporate eggs. Previously I'd let the dough cool to room temp before adding eggs by hand which was way harder. This went just dandy. Also I bought eggs from a different farm this week and that batter is yellow.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:22 pm

Oh man, I had a little smoked salmon on toast (with cream cheese and capers of course!) last night. Hadn't had that in ages and just wanted some.

So that sounds aweeeesssommmmmmmmmeeeeeeeee

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:34 pm

Getting out the stand mixer seems like it would only be practical if you were making a huge batch, but I've never tried it so idk

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:11 pm

I don't drink a ton of sodie pop these days, but we ordered the 2-Up Mix from Sprecher Brewery on a whim after reminiscing about good dreamsicle-esque orange sodas and damn if it ain't some damn fine sodie pop. The Orange Dream in particularly has a really good vanilla edge to make it taste more like a melted dreamsicle than your typical Kel-friendly bubbly. And the Grape is definitely carbonated Dimetapp if that's your thing (it's 100% not mine, but the lady loves that kind of in-your-face grape so more for her). We're pretty absolutely gonna try their root beer now and order some more of the Orange once we finish working our way through the other flavors.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:42 pm

nosimpleway wrote:Getting out the stand mixer seems like it would only be practical if you were making a huge batch, but I've never tried it so idk

My KitchenAid is never not out. And absolutely worth washing the paddle attachment to save myself that much arm fatigue.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:18 pm

Niku wrote:I don't drink a ton of sodie pop these days, but we ordered the 2-Up Mix from Sprecher Brewery on a whim after reminiscing about good dreamsicle-esque orange sodas and damn if it ain't some damn fine sodie pop. The Orange Dream in particularly has a really good vanilla edge to make it taste more like a melted dreamsicle than your typical Kel-friendly bubbly.

If you have a sodastream, may I recommend the Orange Cream syrup from Northwoods Soda? It's got a very smooth dreamsicle flavour, and I'd highly recommend it.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:37 pm

Okay maybe someone can help us solve this MYSTERY, because google is just... forget it.

So, we got a new oven a while back and of course it's an apartment so we didn't buy it. It's got convection functionality, so that's nice... I guess (we never use it because that fan is fucking LOUD). That's also NOT what's confusing. We do NOT need to know about convection.

It has three conventional settings for the oven: Bake, Broil, and Roast.

We know what broil does, which is the same thing broil has always done in ovens - use just the top element. But BAH GAWD, it seems like the difference between Bake and Roast is an almighty fucking mystery ordinary man was never meant to solve.

The manual is fucking USELESS. Not only does it helpfully say "use bake for baking and roast for roasting!" it doesn't even tell you what specific model it is (it's a Frigidaire, if that matters). Meanwhile, every goddamn google search I run turns up pages and pages of people asking what convection settings do even when I add "-convection" to the search query. I have searched and searched and cannot find out what the actual fucking mechanical difference is.

I even found a Reddit discussion where some guy was asking the same thing about a Samsung oven and the closest anyone got there was correctly pointing out that various settings may use one element or both, but they didn't know which were which either and were like "just do a bunch of spot testing with a thermometer inside your oven to figure it out." OKAY BUD. The best the internet has to offer is that I ought to set up elaborate timed and controlled scientific experiments just to figure out what the basic settings on my oven do?

Other than that, it seeeeeems like both bake and roast use both heating elements, and a temperature setting is a temperature setting, so what the fuck is the difference? Why does that knob have it as two different settings???