Things That Go in Your Mouth

Silversong

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby Silversong » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:56 pm

Yoji, I've made J-curry entirely from scratch a few times over the past year, if you want the recipe I've tweaked I can email it to you, just let me know. FWIW the most important thing to make it taste right is to use S&B brand curry powder, I think.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:57 am

Why not post it? In a summary tag if you want.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:17 pm

K.

⇳ Click to Expand Summary
• 4 TBSP oil
1 lb chicken (optional)
5 TBSP whole wheat flour
2 TBSP Japanese curry powder
1 scant pinch cayenne
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
2 carrots
2 celery
2 potatoes
1 Bell pepper
5 mushrooms
1 eggplant (optional)
3 cups broth
1/2 tsp salt
1 minced sweet apple
1 TBSP tomato paste
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 TBSP soy sauce

PREPARATION STEPS

1. Cook 1 cup rice.

2. Sous vide chicken breast. (This is what I do, because I cheat. Otherwise cook chicken however you'd cook it. You could probably throw it in with the potatoes.)

Roux:
3. Warm oil and mix in flour in bottom of large stock pot.

Bring to bubbling then reduce heat to Low.

4. Cook and stir for 15 minutes.

5. Add curry and sprinkle of cayenne and stir, cook another minute.

6. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

7. Vegetables:

8. Chop veggies. Separate hard from soft.

9. In a large stock pot, heat oil to medium-high.

10. Saute onion. Add ginger.

11. Add potato and carrot. Saute, cover and cook on medium for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic near end.

12. Add broth, soy sauce, tomato paste, cocoa powder, and apple and bring to a boil, reduce heat and low simmer while covered for 20 minutes.

13. Heat oil in skillet to medium high. Saute soft veggies.

14. Add curry roux to ladle, dissolving in hot water then adding to pot. Add sauteed veggies and any meat. Cook another 3 minutes.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:30 pm

Weird. Silver's post seems to be formatted correctly with no syntax errors or anything, and I can see the text if I quote her, but NOT when I just click the summary button to read it normally.

Brent's Summary above expands just fine, so I don't think the summary function itself has stopped working or anything.

Anyone else getting that? Do list dots fuck up the summary tag somehow? I can't see anything else even a little unusual about Silver's recipe text.

EDIT: If I quote Silver's post without editing it in any way, the summary works fine when I preview that. WEIRD.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:14 pm

I noticed that myself, Mongrel. Weird. I tried deleting the dots but I don't think that fixed it.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:17 pm

Mongrel wrote:Anyone else getting that? Do list dots fuck up the summary tag somehow? I can't see anything else even a little unusual about Silver's recipe text.

Clicking the summary tag in Silver's post expands and contracts the summary tag in Brentai's post. Looks like they have the same underlying div name, so it just works on the first one on the page, and I have no idea how you fix that.

Roux is not hard! I generally go that route because I find the store-bought roux bricks too salty - fine for one meal, gets to be a drag for the leftovers. But if you've got enough people eating that there aren't going to be several days of leftovers, well, problem solved.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:27 am

Easy fix I guess, I edited my post.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:51 am

So all tags on a page only expand the first summary tag on that page? (depending on your PPP settings, I assume)

Whoops!

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Tansy here suddenly wants to know how to make Mr. Brain's 'traditional westcountry sauce' because we never encountered the stuff when we were living there.

I really don't feel up to googling 'faggot gravy' right now.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:56 pm

Tomatoes are in season! I made tomato soup!
7 lbs. tomatoes
2 shallots
3 hours.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:29 am

2 much soup
4 one person

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:11 pm

I made delicious crepes that weren't unhealthy, and I feel the need to share this! (When I say unhealthy, I am avoiding saturated fats and too much sugar.)

Crepes: (Taken from Sorted Food)
1 egg per person, weighed
equal weight milk (I used oat)
half weight flour (I used whole wheat)
dash vanilla
sprinkle salt
pinch sugar

You make them as crepes, look up a video if you aren't sure about that. I put them in my toaster oven on "warm" til they were all done.

Apples:
I did two sweet eating apples and one Granny Smith, peeled and sliced and chopped.
Sauteed in a sliver of butter and a little peanut oil. Sprinkled liberally with cinnamon. Added chopped walnuts, forgot but would've added dried unsweetened cherries. Cooked until soft.

Other stuff:
I used low fat, small curd cottage cheese, mixed with a dash of vanilla, a splash of maple syrup, a sprinkle of salt, and several shakes of cinnamon. Spread on half the crepes before the apples.

It was really good! I was excited how good the cottage cheese was in this, since basically my favorite food is whipped cream and I can't really have it anymore. Gonna eat so many more crepes now, the need for a creamy bit was what was holding me back.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:08 pm

My family (and pretty much anyone who eats at this particular establishment) has been obsessed for decades over the menu item H6; a Thai cashew chicken in a sweet, spicy, umami sauce that is ridiculously addictive. Earlier this year, we ordered takeout from this place, something that involves over an hour of driving these days and a bill of no less than $120 since we gotta order two or three meals worth to make it worth the time, and they packed everything up into a cardboard box like places tend to do when you've got a big takeout order.

The graphics on the side of the box caught my eye. But it couldn't be that easy, could it? I found it on Amazon and even thinking as a lark it wouldn't be the answer, I just nipped it onto my wishlist and didn't think a whole lot about it. Until my mom bought out half my wishlist as a birthday surprise this year. And a few months later, today, I finally bought a couple of chicken tenders and some cashews because at the worst marinating them in this stuff and stir frying it quickly would at least be somethin' innocuous to eat over rice.

But this was it.

This was the answer.

I don't know, there is a 1000% chance the restaurant adds its own secret blend of spices and stuff to the recipe because there is definitely an ineffable something there that's not here in my quick and dirty experimental version. Maybe finely chop some lemongrass or something into it for that missing edge. But this is close enough. Especially when the place has been closed for a few months now due to Covid shortages, and we don't know when, if ever, they're going to open back up again.

If they don't, I won't have to go without. Not entirely.

but now i have to reverse engineer their fucking soup

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:16 pm

Cajun spice puff pastry sausage rolls. To go with the woggets. Image

No recipe to speak of, spice mix and sausages are bog standard supermarket fare, pastry is equal parts flour and butter rolled and folded like Dr. Stone making a katana.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:59 pm

Why is Canada the only major commonwealth country bereft of a proper sausage roll culture. >:[

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:10 pm

Suddenly wondering if you can make pastry with cheese curds...

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:16 pm

You can certainly put nearly any sort of cheese you like IN a pastry.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:10 pm

Incidentally, it's a neverending source of amusement how horrified British folk are about anyone using a microwave to boil water. One wonders if the British Isles might explode and sink into the North Sea if they were ever to realize the actual action by which microwaves heat food...

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:47 pm

D: That's not satisfying _at all_, I am still cringing.

Reminds me one time I was over at somebody's house for gaming, and asked for hot water for tea. A couple minutes later I went into the kitchen to check on him, he was running the tap on his hand and said "Well how hot did you want it?"

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:45 pm

Silversong wrote:D: That's not satisfying _at all_, I am still cringing.

Reminds me one time I was over at somebody's house for gaming, and asked for hot water for tea. A couple minutes later I went into the kitchen to check on him, he was running the tap on his hand and said "Well how hot did you want it?"

lmao okay that's terrible.