Things That Go in Your Mouth

Büge

Re: Things That Go in Your Mouth

Postby Büge » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:28 pm

[pictures Friday chuckling maniacally and smearing beet juice all over her neck, then sprawling on the kitchen floor as her spouse walks in]

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:44 pm

See, this is why I don't deal with beets. They are delicious and nutritious and completely not worth the mess. Right up there with the time I foolishly bought a turmeric root.

Golden beets though, I buy those whenever I see them.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:44 pm

well yeah, they're worth 100 beets

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:23 pm

I STOPPED USING BEETS BECAUSE I COULDN'T REALLY DEAL WITH THAT MUCH YELLING IN THE KITCHEN

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:31 pm

Mmmmmmm... memories of salad bar pickled beets.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:57 pm

mharr wrote:Snowing out in Soviet Highlands, making borscht. Image

Memo: When dog steals beet and trails it through the house, perphaps inform partner before she screams thinking she's blown an artery.

this looks extremely good, what please is recipe

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:09 am

It's a soup, so there's a whole lot of whatever feels good in the moment, but the core is to start by sauteeing red onion, thin sliced potato and shredded beets (plus any other root veg or beans) while slowly heating some cream with beet juice, tomato and stock. Combine when the potato slices are edible, add salt, pepper, garlic, sugar and pickled cabbage to taste.

Excessive amounts of Irish butter are ideal for the sautee if you have a source. This one was based on a low effort stock from freeze dried packet cubes, soy sauce, MSG, honey and lemon.

I believe it's legal to add basically anything edible that's mostly red.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:53 pm

Mongrel wrote:Mmmmmmm... memories of salad bar pickled beets.

My grandma did a lot of preserves and one of my favourites was her pickled beets. I still love 'em.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:41 pm

It's been almost 10 years since my favorite cheesesteak place closed down and took my favorite coleslaw with them. I'd hunted replacement recipes for a while, but I haven't ever found anything quite the same. It had a thick sauce, a little yellowish, but it wasn't sweet, mustardy or vinegary, and honestly, it didn't really have a heavy mayo flavor to it either, so I can't even begin to guess what the base was.

So I come to you, asking if you've ever had coleslaw similar, or if you have a similar recipe. Or, if you want to just recommend a coleslaw recipe you REALLY love, that's cool too.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:40 am

I have never had good coleslaw. I recommend you find the former owners and beg the recipe. Make a documentary of the journey and sell the movie rights to Hunting for Coleslaw.

I made brownies over the weekend that tasted good but never set up. The only tweak I made to the recipe was I only had bittersweet instead of unsweetened chocolate, so I also reduced the sugar in the recipe. I otherwise used the size pan and bake time and temp called for in the recipe. Does anybody know if that change really can ruin a brownie recipe?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:43 pm

Shouldn't, as far as I know. :/

But R^2 might know better?

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:15 pm

So, you made surprise chocolate fudge/ganache (depending on texture) using a brownie recipe.

I know there's a theory that the exact details of the sugar and whether or not it's dissolved fully into the liquid changes whether or not you get that shiny skin on top that's the hallmark of box mix brownies, but I don't think reducing the sugar should prevent it from setting up.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:43 pm

Okay then, perhaps pt. 2 of my question is: anybody have a really good brownie recipe?

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:35 pm

I can wholeheartedly endorse this recipe, at least for the fudgy preparation; I'm not a cake-y brownie fan.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:32 pm

My wife insists it's not a big deal to stick candied flowers on a cake, but LOOK AT IT
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:11 pm

If flower arranging can be art, and cake decorating can be art, edible flower arranging is art.

François

Postby François » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:35 pm

I ordered some onion rings (among other things) from a local place that still does delivery. They came with two little tubs of honey.

There was nothing else in my order that could possibly be eaten with honey. So I'm forced to conclude that there's some quantity of depraved perverts in my town who like to dip their onion rings in straight honey.

anyway I tried it because it felt so horribly wrong that I had to find out exactly how horribly wrong it was and, uh, however many of these depraved perverts there were before, there's one more now

Still, here's to never doing that again, because, damn, I mean, obviously.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:48 pm

wow zed i thought we were FRIENDS but now that I know you're a PERVERT we are REALLY GOOD FRIENDS as only MUTUAL PERVERTS can be
ImageImageImage

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:46 pm

What you two are calling PERVERTS is what I call SOUTHERNS, who for clarification, are also PERVERTS. Southerners will put honey on anything fried.
signature

François

Postby François » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:26 pm

Friday wrote:wow zed i thought we were FRIENDS but now that I know you're a PERVERT we are REALLY GOOD FRIENDS as only MUTUAL PERVERTS can be

I am okay with that in a way that makes me think I should not be okay with that but not so much that I am not actually okay with that.

Is this perversion? No, it is a butterfly.

But the butterfly is also a pervert.

KingRoyal wrote:What you two are calling PERVERTS is what I call SOUTHERNS, who for clarification, are also PERVERTS. Southerners will put honey on anything fried.

But my town is definitely not southern. You'd think the local perverts would dip onion rings in... m... uh... m-maple syrup... or... something.

Oh no.