Why did this even happen?

Sharkey

Re: Why did this even happen?

Postby Sharkey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:01 pm

I can't quite see the goal of that con, but props for trying to figure it out/fuck with them. At this point I'm apparently the go-to "Is this a scam?" guy for my entire fucking extended family on my mother's side, so I think I've seen most of them at this point. "He sent a cashier's check." "The check is fake." "But the bank took it!" "Yeah, and they'll un-take it in a couple weeks. Just don't give anybody any fucking money, alright?" On the plus side, I don't get any of this shit from my dad's side. They were all raised in the carny.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:39 pm

Related: the fuck-knuckle who told me my phone was disconnected once again E-Mailed me to tell me my phone was disconnected. I responded, hey guy, you know this is the third time you've sent me an E-Mail with that same lie at the top, right? Does everybody at your company do that, or is it just you, and can you please give me your supervisor's contact information so I can continue this conversation with him?

Unsurprisingly, he went quiet again. So I sent a message to the E-Mail on the company's contact page to ask the same question.

Likeliest outcome is, of course, that I'll never hear back from anybody, until he sends me the same E-Mail again around November. At which point I think I'll probably be all out of ethical objections to just putting his full name and E-Mail address in my blog post.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:36 am

Oh god. Job hunting is the woooorrsssttt

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:23 pm

My friend went to a 70's/80's dance bar that has actual car wash rollers installed for when they play Car Wash.

Also this bar was fucking nuts. Among the many weird things that they had, was that there was three of those "spinny" car wash towel things (one on each side of the dance floor and one on the ceiling). Obviously, they play the car wash song and all three moved out from their positions to be closer to everyone and then some kind of bubble machines just made an absolute shitton of bubbles and dumped them onto the ceiling thing which then just flung bubbles everywhere (like covered the dance area, but also just flung them to like every corner of the bar).

omgwtfbbqsrsly?

Healy

Postby Healy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:37 pm

Would dance at that bar.

Kazz
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Kazz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:43 am

you need all that equipment for cleaning up after It's Raining Men
the best kazz around

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:03 am

Seen yesterday in my neighbourhood: a tradesman van with "Manos: the Handyman" emblazoned on the side.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:51 pm

Our neighbourhood isn't that bad, as things go, but today I saw a shopping trolley with no wheels up on blocks at the side of the road.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Another fun sighting from the streets of Toronto: A massive old 80's land shark being driven by (of course) a little old lady. With plates that read '2 R MEME'.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:43 am

Today at work I am dressed up as Princess Daisy for Halloween. In case you don't know on regular days I wear lolita fashion. Scene is set.

A regular delivery guy came in to drop something off. First he laughed at my costume and said he'd been afraid I'd be wearing a white blouse and pleated skirt and saddle shoes. (???) Then he said he'd brought me a Halloween treat, and gave me a Lego guy. He told me it is a Steampunk Policeman (it is a regular policeman).

wat

François

Postby François » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:53 am

Why do i feel like this guy's been taking dating advice from Papyrus?

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:47 am

????????

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:26 pm

Accidentally broke my "ain't doing shit for Halloween" streak. Turns out a burgundy motorcycle jacket, satchel, and two day beard is very easily mistaken for a Star Lord costume. Kind of like how I've never cosplayed in my life, but still showed up in an anime convention photo gallery as "Lupin."

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:36 pm

Today I had to extract a hair from my chin because it was bothering me. Why? Because it was over half a millimetre thick.

I'm unsure if it's good or bad that my facial hair is SO DARNED MANLY that it's starting to cross the line from "hair" to "horns".

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:52 pm

You need to keep that in a jar and charge two bits a gander.

François

Postby François » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:40 pm

I just noticed a glob of peanut butter on top of my modem.

I wish I had more details than that.

François

Postby François » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:20 am

To set the scene, my apartment is on the first floor (above the ground floor). My front entrance has a staircase that leads directly outside, without any connection with the downstairs apartment. My back door opens into a shared staircase area that leads both outside and to my downstairs neighbors' back door. All three doors in the back have locks, and the building only has these two apartments so there is zero foot traffic on the staircase on that side (apart from me). A few weeks ago, three people moved in downstairs: a middle-aged couple, and their daughter, who I guess is in her late teens or very early twenties. We briefly met once as they were moving in, and said the usual basic hi and hello new neighbor without interacting in any other way since then.

Just a few minutes ago, at maybe 1:30 AM, I hear a faint knock on my back door. (I'm wide awake on account of my sleep disorder; if I had been sleeping, I would not have heard it.) Just to be clear, this Never Happens. Nobody ever has any reason to come anywhere close to my back door. I figure I must have misheard or misinterpreted some other sound in the night, but just to make sure there isn't some emergency I need to be paying attention to, I open up and carefully look outside.

My neighbors' daughter is standing a few steps down the staircase, wearing a baseball cap, shorts, and a long shirt; she's looking up at me and holding up her phone to light the pitch-dark hallway. So she... knocked on my door and went partially down the stairs to wait...? I go "hello?", she says "hello" back, in such a shy voice that I can barely hear her. She's smiling and she doesn't look like in she's any sort of distress, but doesn't say anything else. For a moment I think about asking if she's the one who knocked, but it has to be her, so I don't.

Me: "Are you okay?"
Her: "Yeah."
Me: "What's going on?"
Her: "Were you sleeping?"
Me: "I was in bed. No big deal." (That's a lie, but I don't talk about my hypersomnia with people I don't know well, that's an express ticket to Judgement City. But I was just tooling around on the Internet, so I definitely wasn't making any noise.)
Her: "Okay."
Me: "Can I help you with anything?"
Her: "I wanted to invite you."
Me: "Invite me where?"
Her: "My place."

What the fffffff-

Me: "Huh. That's not a great time. This time isn't working for me right now."
Her: "Are you sure?"
Me: "Yeah, sorry. Maybe another day though."

She says nothing. She hasn't moved a muscle since the start of this conversation. I wonder if I'm being recorded.

Me: "Is everything alright? Do you need help with anything?"
Her: "No."
Me: "Well, alright then. Good night. See you some other time."
Her: "Good night."

I close the door and lock up.

I have no idea what to make of this. I guess the simplest explanation was that she was high. I kinda hope that's all it was. The thought crossed my mind that she might have been suicidal and in need of someone, anyone, to talk to, so that's why I asked if she needed help, but she gave no sign of being in trouble and refused assistance besides.

At any rate, I'm almost 40, I'm not going to ask my neighbors what's going on with their possibly-teenage daughter. Christ, she literally invited a perfect stranger to her home. She's lucky I'm not a creeper or worse. Who does that? Good grief.

Maybe if we run into each other in the daytime at some point I'll get to figure it out. Man, what a bizarre situation.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:26 am

yeah i'm going to go with one of three possibilities

1. she was high as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
2. she has some sort of mental disorder
3. some extremely weird prank

I lean toward 1 but who the fuck knows

it'll probably turn out that you were the Last Starfighter and she was inviting you to defend the frontier against Zur and the Kodan Armada

now get back to bed or I'm telling your mom about your playboys
ImageImageImage

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:15 am

I'm thinking she's a vampire and needed you to leave your apartment or invite her in so she could feed on you.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:46 am

Do you have any plants? Could she have just seen Léon? I'm assuming you are much more French than her.