Unforgivable Sins of UI Design

Thad

Re: Unforgivable Sins of UI Design

Postby Thad » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:56 pm

Are you sure you want to cancel?
[ OK ] [ CANCEL ]

Are you sure you want to be a software developer?

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:25 pm

*clicks "OK"*

AN INCOMING MISSILE WARNING HAS BEEN SENT TO EVERYONE IN HAWAII
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:46 pm

Thad wrote:Are you sure you want to cancel?
[ OK ] [ CANCEL ]

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:04 pm

This is fully charged on this battery pack. This pisses me off even more, because a previous battery from the same manufacturer used the actual sensible way to indicate charge when you're using LEDs in a circular button.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:59 am

Motherfucker don't tell me my input is invalid while I'm still typing it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:20 pm

(thread)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:27 pm

...motherfucker are you giving me "new e-mail" notifications when I move messages to the fucking trash?

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:26 pm

Suggestion for eBay: I shouldn't see "Save when you buy more!" and "Last one!" on the same listing.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:54 am

Wow, so to log off Google on my phone I have to go into the device settings and remove my account?

Fuck you Google, eat a fucking bag of rotten mouldy dicks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:31 pm

Yeah, setting up a custom firmware is (increasingly) a hassle (and may actually be impossible depending on your phone), but that's why I go to all that trouble to do it. Stock Android is designed to deeply integrate everything you do into Google services and a Google account for using them.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:05 pm

If there is an exact match for my search term, it should appear at the top of the results.

If I search a movie site for Spider-Man, the movie whose actual complete title is Spider-Man should be the first result, not the fucking ninth, four spots below Spider-Man: Kohti Hämähäkkiversumia, starring Unknown Actor.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:00 pm

I find even Google does that shit at times now.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:28 pm

But Google's dealing with complex third-party results, many of which are malicious. Google's results may not always be good, but it's understandable why the algorithm sometimes produces unintended results.

I'm talking about looking through a predefined set of results, all of which are internal to the same site that's running the search. In this particular example, it's movie titles.

First of all, I'm opining that sorting by popularity instead of how close the match is is wrong. That's debatable, and I concede that; there's an argument to be made that a search for Star Trek should put Discovery and Picard higher in the results than Star Trek because people searching for Star Trek are, at present, likelier to be looking for those shows than TOS. I don't agree with that prioritization, because you can search for those shows by their full titles, but I at least understand it.

But secondly: I don't even know WTF Rotten Tomatoes is doing here. If I were just looking at the first nine results, I'd guess that it's sorting most recent first and omitting the Amazing Spider-Man movies because "Spider-Man" aren't the first words in their titles, which would be dumb but at least it would be explicable. But then at #10 there's something called Superman, Spiderman or Batman (2011), which doesn't fit the chronological order of the list, doesn't begin with the word "Spider-Man", and doesn't even hyphenate it. Spider-Man: Kohti Hämähäkkiversumia showing up in the top half of the list is stupid but I can at least see how it happened; I can't figure out how Superman, Spiderman or Batman is on the list and neither Amazing Spider-Man movie is.

I know why Google's results don't always make sense: they're using a complex set of algorithms, including AI whose inner workings are opaque even to its developers, to comb through a dataset that Google itself does not have direct control over. I don't know why searching for a movie title on Rotten Tomatoes produces nonsensical results.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:01 pm

Yeah, that's definitely a lot more ridiculous.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:16 pm

Similarly, and definitely google's fault: I refuse to set a "home" address in maps, and any time I try to type my own address it will refuse to show it as an option until I get to "...road" even though after 5 characters the only suggestion it has is already inaccurate and in the UK.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:27 pm

Thad wrote:I know why Google's results don't always make sense: they're using a complex set of algorithms, including AI whose inner workings are opaque even to its developers, to comb through a dataset that Google itself does not have direct control over. I don't know why searching for a movie title on Rotten Tomatoes produces nonsensical results.

Score-based retrieval and paid prioritization.

(Technically these are sins of back-end design, but for the purposes of this discussion let's assume that it's valid to group the functions of UX and data ... .......... .... .......

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:35 pm

Brentai wrote:
Thad wrote:I know why Google's results don't always make sense: they're using a complex set of algorithms, including AI whose inner workings are opaque even to its developers, to comb through a dataset that Google itself does not have direct control over. I don't know why searching for a movie title on Rotten Tomatoes produces nonsensical results.

Score-based retrieval and paid prioritization.

Yeah, I forgot about those phat Spider-Man: Kohti Hämähäkkiversumia advertising dollars.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:39 pm

Clearly somebody didn't.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:41 pm

Fuck this.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:11 pm

Why are you masking the digits on my one-time code? It's a fucking one-time code. The entire point is that it only works one time.