HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Niku

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Niku » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:46 am

congratulations, job hunting is absolutely soul crushing and being on the other side of it is the best feeling

Postby Newbie » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:41 pm

It really is!!
tiny text

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:57 pm

If you like Rennaissance Faires, the one in Manheim (about an 1.5 hour drive from Philly) is great. Before COVID I would go a couple times a year (Flavorfest, Celtic Fling, at least one Faire day, and usually one of the dinner shows) and I highly recommend it.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:42 pm

Fantastic news, congratulations Newbie

atog

Postby atog » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:46 pm

I have little good to say about Philly but at least it isn't Kansas. Gz on the successful move and good luck in your new job!
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:33 pm

Me and Starr over here just picking up the habit of singing the Mission Impossible theme together anytime we see a spider rappelling down from the ceiling.

atog

Postby atog » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:34 pm

Including the opening segment with the fuse burning up...as the spooder realizes he's rappelling down into the electric burners on our stovetop (they're off, lucky for him; but if they were ON....)
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:44 pm

Today Kylie and I learned that onions that have been left out for too long can release butyric acid when cooked

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:54 pm

barf

Lady

Re: HOW WAS YOUR WEEK

Postby Lady » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:56 pm

My stretch marks started itching a couple weeks ago, more than usual.

Then i started to notice just some regular kind of bumps on the underside of my arms, kinda like the ones that have a lil bit of sebum you can squeeze out, not red or anything. But there's a lot and they line up pretty good with where I've started to itch.

Then the backs of my knees

Upgrade from lotion to cocoa butter lotion, to little avail, but the full body massages are nice

Coming across my clavicle, back of my shoulders, down my thighs

Try some hydrocortisone cream, alternating with an old mild steroid rx

Feel like Dax with her spots when i rub the creams in. "They go all the way down"

Disgusted to realize how much like brains my belly looks like from the stretching. Worse, I'm getting stretch marks over my crotch too ?? How? Why? And you bet they're itching too

Get desperate to try some menthol spray. It works pretty good in my trial application

Get husband to spray me more.
Start shivering but it's fine with a second shirt on.

SIL is coming over every night to help us clean the house up and decorate for the baby shower yesterday. She brings me a tub of CeraVe and several packets of oatmeal bath.

I've started taking cool baths in the afternoons when i can't concentrate on working anymore.

The CeraVe works better than the lotions, but about 2 hours later i guess it's dried up where I'll be itching again except now I'm sloughing off fingernails full of congealed cream.

Wake up like this at 2 or 3am too many times and resolve no CeraVe before bedtime, only when I'll be able to wash it off.

Sprayed self very carefully with menthol right before the baby shower and it was great for nearly 4 hours.

My lower back/left hip was killing me after the party(and the days of prep), took a warm bath before bed instead of a cool one. The oatmeal hasn't really been doing much. I'm not actually sure where the corticosteroids have gotten off to in the confusion of putting away All The Things. Decide to mentholate before bed.

Finish spraying myself down and begin to realize i fucked up, hahahaha

Jump into bed and start shivering, more of a full body response this time. Husband piles me up with blankets, i ask him for the heating pad, too. He starts googling menthol cooling effect physiology and makes me take my temperature. It's creeping up a lil, but I'm still in this burning freezing nightmare world.

He explains that while my skin is experiencing a lot of evaporative cooling, it's also just sending my brain these OMG I'M NAKED ON MT EVEREST HELP signals, so brain is authorizing all these responses that raise internal body temp, which is still quite adequately toasty.

Start to feel a little normal again where the heating pad was, no longer tempted to panic.

Eventually the shivering has died off, and I'm comfortable emerging from the extra blankets. Temp is going down again, too. Thank husband for standing by me during my drug overdose (this has lasted no more than 20-30 minutes)

Sleep decently (woke up my usual every 2 hours, but didn't have to sit on the toilet scraping dead cream residue off my skin). Had to use the crutch to make it to the bathroom for my 30mL pee breaks.

After the third time, get my phone flashlight and start raiding my Rx stash. Find Tylenol and the muscle relaxer the orthopedist prescribed for pretty much this a couple months back. Dither briefly and decide on the Tylenol, just to not ruin my chances of waking up for an early dentist appointment this morning.

The Tylenol does nothing, and I'm so stove up that showering takes twice as long as i need it to, so i have to call and reschedule the dentist anyway.

Sit down to my desk and find both the hydrocortisone and rx steroid cream. Swap those back in to the lineup to try and postpone the next menthol break.

Husband asks me periodically throughout the day if i messaged my ob about alternatives, but frankly I'm worried she'll be like idklolgl.

Make it to about 6pm before i have to take the cold bath, no oatmeal. Now it's almost 11 and here i am, back in the cool bath.

The problem with bath taking is that getting into the tub is hard and getting out is agony, because of pubic symphysis dysfunction, i guess. I was going to see a PT about it except i managed to come down with covid the week i got scheduled and it's like, at this point, will i just be exacerbating the pain before i start to see any improvement and by then the baby will be out and all my problems solved???

Tempted to do menthol again before bed.

Lady

Postby Lady » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:58 pm

I guess it could also just be the T-Virus. Itchy, tasty indeed

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:15 am

Out of an abundance of caution, please ask your doctor if it might be M. Pox
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:16 pm

Was amusing to realize, after craving a trashy donut for the first time in many, MANY years, that somehow - against maybe all odds in the universe, given this is Canada - we live in what might be the only neighbourhood with no coffee/donut shops ANYWHERE.

And then even both the local grocery stores didn't have any donuts!

Honestly makes me feel better about my neighbourhood.

Still want a donut though, shit.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:49 pm

Mongrel wrote:Still want a donut though, shit.

I found a lovely place a while back when I was going for a dental consultation. Vlad's Bakery, at 713 Danforth, right around the corner from Pape station. Apparently it replaced another doughnut shop that was there before? Anyway, they have excellent pączki.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:56 pm

Oooooooh pączki

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:54 pm

Mongrel wrote:Was amusing to realize, after craving a trashy donut for the first time in many, MANY years, that somehow - against maybe all odds in the universe, given this is Canada - we live in what might be the only neighbourhood with no coffee/donut shops ANYWHERE.

Some years ago, I found myself waiting in the transborder part of the terminal at Pearson, at some ungodly hour of the morning, hungry and tired, already past immigration so I couldn't go back out - and there was no Tim Horton's. I felt deeply betrayed.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:22 pm

My mom: I've been thinking...
Me (interrupting): That's a dangerous pastime.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:42 pm

Your mom: I knowww. But that wacky old coot is Belle's father, and his sanity's only so-so.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:04 pm

I think that would have been the most glorious thing I'd ever heard her say. I got a chuckle out of her at least.

Mazian wrote:
Mongrel wrote:Was amusing to realize, after craving a trashy donut for the first time in many, MANY years, that somehow - against maybe all odds in the universe, given this is Canada - we live in what might be the only neighbourhood with no coffee/donut shops ANYWHERE.

Some years ago, I found myself waiting in the transborder part of the terminal at Pearson, at some ungodly hour of the morning, hungry and tired, already past immigration so I couldn't go back out - and there was no Tim Horton's. I felt deeply betrayed.

An update on this was that I actually went into a Timmys and apparently even they don't sell donuts anymore. I mean, okay, granted it was a smaller location, and they did have like... a couple. But it's REALLY weirdly ascetic in a Timmys now. Shit is fucked up. How am I living in a Canada with no donuts. If you put a gun to my head and told me I had 24h to get you a sour cream glazed or old fashioned plain, in the largest city in the country, it's a coin toss that I'd be dead in a day.

(BTW, Buge I did go to Vlads, but they don't have donuts anymore either - ONLY pączkis!)

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:31 pm

Pączkis ARE doughnuts!