HOW WAS YOUR DAY

hngkong

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby hngkong » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:51 pm

...tell me more about those cases.

atog

Postby atog » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:19 am

hngkong wrote:...tell me more about those cases.

-They are a PITA to clean because you actually have to disassemble the sides of the case and drive bay drawers to access the air filters
-They admit ALL the cat hair, dander, soot, smog, and dust. pretty much the only things they keep out are insects and owners.
-This case is 11 years old and the front USB ports and headset jacks are all shorted out by filling up with dust. They point upwards, you see. And have no covers. I blast them every time I clean but it has not restored or prolonged their use.
-The back panel, unlike the sides and disc bays, is just standard 1/16" stamped metal mesh with no filter. It fills up with cat drifts, dust bunnies, and electronic death faster than you can say "Dirt Devil". btw this is where all the important stuff plugs in.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:59 pm

atog wrote:Whee

Coming back from the store. Found a squirrel in the gutter in the slush and somehow he was still alive. Flailing all fours in the air with snow falling on him. He's in the bathroom now enveloped in warm towels, trying to dry him off/get him warmed fully up and inspect what appears to be a huge wound on his foot. He's holding his arm close to his body and hissing at us and fighting so that's uh a better sign I guess, than limp?

City animal control offices are closed for the Holidays and we'll have to try tomorrow. Meanwhile, reading about all the lyme ticks and typhus and leptospirosis and murine encephalitis virus and plague and maybe COVID in there too that we could catch.

:(

Also fek lost the lid to the hot-water bottle so i'm using my favourite drink bottle. Took me forever to replace the one I left at Regionals

It was funny she was worried I would be annoyed, when my reaction would have been "go get Starr, fast", given she is by far the more knowledgeable about wildlife between the two of us, and you want to not just grab such a critter, but grab them safely, and for everyone involved.

It would have been a thousand times more worrying if she'd casually told me she left a helpless critter to shiver to death in a literal gutter on Christmas Eve. I would have been wondering if she'd been swapped with some kind of replicant.

Now he's in one of our big super-heavy carriers, in the bathroom, so just keeping the door closed to keep the cats out. Probably take him down to the Toronto Wildlife Centre tomorrow (they are open on all days of the holidays, as it turns out, they just close early), and drop him off. They're very good. If they can reasonably help him, they will, but if he's got to go, at least it'll be warm and dry, quiet and peaceful.

Oh and Buge made a huge pot of stew and offered us some since our plans for making dinner kind of went out the window. So that was extremely kind of her!

EDIT: wtf wrong thread. okay, that's better.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:24 pm

Somebody closed his lil black eyes and quietly drifted away in peace.

... and now for a round of extremely thorough disinfection, cleaning, and laundry!

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:35 am

I replaced my car battery all by myself

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:53 pm

Been in physical therapy for a few weeks. Finally started getting a little better, then yesterday and today suddenly worse. (I assume related to some new exercises.) I went in for a pain in my little finger which turned out to be a symptom of my shoulders being wrecked and suddenly I'm completely reorganizing my entire head, neck, and shoulders. Turns out a year of work from home was the last domino, knocking over all the last 20 years of bad posture.

Yeah, that straighten-up you just did, if it's not too late for you please save yourself. This is agonizing. Also soul-crushing, as I can neither see friends nor do hobbies or hang out online much.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:04 pm

I started doing yoga a couple of months ago, and every so often after doing a new routine or position, for the next few days I'm a complete mess - I can't balance, I struggle through easy positions, or my body just can't physically do it. It usually is a few days before I feel back to how I was before, so hopefully you're going to get a bounce back soon.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:17 am

Still having a hard time, but past the point now of "can literally do nothing but cry." I've gotten back mobility in everything but my neck and parts of my shoulders, and I managed to get out of bed by myself the past two mornings. It's a considerable improvement. But my SI started going out last night and is still nagging me, and it's almost heartbreaking to have another chronic pain flare up right now. I assume it's related to moving stiff and stupid since Wednesday last week.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:42 am

Kristine bought something from Whole Foods labeled ASSORTED ENTERTAINMENT CRACKERS and I was like "hey, it's like we've got Cirque du Soleil tickets" and Kristine did not appreciate that joke

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:23 am

Well I sure did.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:35 am

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:29 pm

I almost died the other night:

https://i.imgur.com/I9pKr5F.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jZBtewi.png

...lower glucose levels cause overt functional brain failure that can progress from measurable cognitive impairments (threshold equal to approximately 50 mg/dl to aberrant behaviors, seizure, and coma. Coma can occur at glucose levels in the range of 41–49 mg/dl as well as at lower glucose levels.

Edit: Screw it, I can't figure out how to get the images to not be giant, so click through if you want to see 24 mg/dl and lower!

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:32 pm

Yikes! How did that happen?
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:43 pm

Honestly no idea! No medication changes, food was basically the exact same as I usually eat, and the basal insulin I took was the same dose I always take. My only thought was maybe I injected into a vein or something, but that shouldn't make a difference for basal insulin.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:46 pm

Well that sure isn't completely terrifying.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:46 pm

On a bit of cheer-up duty this afternoon. I found out Derek Chauvin and Harvey Weinstein share a birthday... because one of my oldest friends found out he too, shares the same birthday and is understandably a bit down at the mouth now.

JD

Postby JD » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:43 pm

Tell that to Kayin.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 01, 2021 3:25 pm

Been in this apt for some fifteen years and had the same oven that entire time, but based on the design it actually dated to the mid-90's, at minimum. It was soldiering on and I don't like to throw out technically-working appliances, but the door was so rusted out inside that we were using shitty pasted on child safety latches to keep it shut, for about the last five years (which was how long ago I asked the landlord to fix it), and that was just the main problem. Like, this thing's time had come, and then some - it didn't owe anybody shit.

Anyway, we got some new Supers and they're pretty keen for now (not complaining!), so they ordered some new stoves and we got one of the replacements. Hooray. It's hilarious to have super-modern features, like... a timer. Or an oven light (I'm not kidding; the old one didn't have those).

What's funny is that the new oven has a black door where the old one didn't even have a door window at all. So every time Starr AND I see the new oven out of the corner of our eyes we're BOTH like "Oh shit the oven door's open".

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat May 01, 2021 5:35 pm

Yay! does it have two racks and a broiler?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 pm

Büge wrote:Yay! does it have two racks and a broiler?

It does! :D