HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Thad

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:09 pm

Yoji wrote:I heard about that on... I think Hbomberguy's video on the War on Christmas. Alex Jones and goons like him do the same thing for their marks audience with shit like "the Communist Atheist Council of Islam."* Anybody with more than five brain cells can tell you that collection of words makes zero sense, but the one guy with less than that goes "wow, hold on, you have my attention and money in exchange for patriot protein"

Whereas J*rdan P*terson prefers to obfuscate with less-obvious oxymorons like "postmodernist Marxism".

You need at least a few college credits or equivalent education to understand why that phrase doesn't make any sense.

François

Postby François » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:23 pm

JP is simultaneously just smart enough to make idiots think he's a genius and dumb enough that they know him for one of their own.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:15 pm

"just sell your houses if they're in low level areas and the seas rise"

I mean, he's also a shill. JP isn't doing this because he's been fooled, he's doing this maliciously because it makes him money. And for whatever reason, the average person tends to think that makes a person doing that better than just another idiot who is dumb. But no, wrong. It makes them far, far worse.
ImageImageImage

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:40 pm

If there's a sucker born every minute and what they want to see is clowns, then obviously the most direct way to reel them in is to be a clown.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:56 pm

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:01 pm

Friday wrote:"just sell your houses if they're in low level areas and the seas rise"

I mean, he's also a shill. JP isn't doing this because he's been fooled, he's doing this maliciously because it makes him money. And for whatever reason, the average person tends to think that makes a person doing that better than just another idiot who is dumb. But no, wrong. It makes them far, far worse.

I think that particular line of stupid was a Ben Shapiro thing, rather than a JP thing.

Joke about "all these white guys look the same" goes here.

Well, okay, Ben Shapiro is down in his own particular circle of moron *ahem* heaven.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:54 pm

Jordan Peterson perfectly defined himself when there was a Captain America comic where Red Skull recruits kids online and JP is like "hey this obviously sounds like stuff I say" and the writer is like "well I took it from actual nazis" and then JP is like "well actually this is cool, I want to embrace the fact that I'm a real world comic nazi." And then he just did that and made his pfp a hydra thing for like a week until everyone stopped caring.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:36 pm

Was talking with my wife last night; she mentioned she has an eye appointment coming up and she needs new contacts because they work better for her than glasses. Among other reasons, she mentioned that she doesn't get as many headaches with contacts as with glasses, and wow I can't believe I didn't notice this until now but I realized that my experiences with headaches and glasses are pretty much 1:1. I started getting migraines right around the time I started wearing glasses; they got better starting in my late teens, right around the time I switched to contacts. They never went away entirely, but they got a lot less frequent. And then they got worse again just over the past few years -- after I switched back to glasses because my contacts were irritating my eyes.

Correlation isn't causation and that could all be a coincidence. But I've got an eye appointment in a month or so and I'm definitely going to try switching back to contacts again.

Beyond that? I think it's time for me to start seriously considering LASIK. I've had it in the back of my head for years. Insurance doesn't typically cover it, but I wonder if I could get a doctor's recommendation based on glasses causing migraines and contacts causing eye irritation. Something to look into.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:20 pm

Thad wrote:LASIK. I've had it in the back of my head for years.

I am not a doctor but I'm pretty sure that's not where the lasers go

atog

Postby atog » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:42 pm

Friday wrote:"just sell your houses if they're in low level areas and the seas rise"

I listen to a lot of ted talks and science shows and shit on YT while working on other stuff. A few days ago one of those Jordan Peckerson fake-TEDs came up in the queue. I don't recognize the guy's voice or look at what's in the queue; I'm ass-deep in a game or something else and just let it start marching into my ears. Soon he's on about one of the psychosocial milestones of adulthood is being a "good citizen" and the reason so many people fail is because of "dangerous ideologies" which he never does come up with examples or names for in his 28 minutes of tirade.

I look at the queue and the title of the talk is "Human perception and reality-checking" but at no point in his increasingly pleading, imploring rant does he say what the reality is that we should be checking, or how that equates to being a good citizen and therefore being socially well-adjusted. I skip the last 5 minutes or so because I can think of a few things people should check before they listen to this shit.

There's like, zero science or data in the talk. It's just him openly wishing everyone would just try harder to be liked and respected by authority figures and not subscribe to dangerous ideologies like civil disobedience, protesting injustice, or boycotting douchebaggery.

To be fair, a lot of TED talks are niche field grad students and book authors peddling pet theories, but a) nearly all of them have some sort of data or sciencey stuff they pull out and go over, even if it's preliminary/statistically limp/small n. and b) it's not couched in obvious dogwhistle shit. You roll your eyes at some of them because some really are just infomercials for robotics products or books or whatever, but jfc even the thorium reactor peddlers are more believable and scientific than J fuckin P.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:54 pm

oh dear

did you get algorithm'd into watching a PragerU video

atog

Postby atog » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:25 pm

not really. It was legit a ted talk from about 6 years ago but there's a significant fraction of "legit ted talks" that are cranks or bs
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:37 am

oh god my techbro friend fucking came down on me hard about thorium reactors about 7 or 8 years ago saying they were gonna solve all the world's energy problems in the next five years after he watched some saleskid say they would

I pressed X to doubt and he got a little pissy with me iirc and I do because I remember all the times my friends get pissy with me THATS RIGHT THAD

anyway my friend is a smart guy but also incredibly fucking stupid sometimes
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:26 am

It's hard to maintain accurate levels of cynicism at all times. Hope can be dangerously addictive.

So naturally the bastards find ways to package and sell it that are shit for you health.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:40 pm

There's an incredibly persuasive myth that tech will save us. It's been around a long time now. It's what feeds into techbro singularity transhuman bros delusions of "Hard AI and brain uploads are five, ten years away tops" for the last 30 years and it's what feeds into Elon Musk's supporters fanatical loyalty to him.

It's also why insane non-train train projects keep getting funded.

Real engineers refer to this as the AM/FM problem.

The problem is real engineers (and everyone else) have to live in the AM world. Actual Machines.

While politicians who approve giant waste of money projects and techbros live in the world of Fucking Magic.
ImageImageImage

mharr

Postby mharr » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:52 pm

I see the appeal, you don't have to look at much history to abandon the idea of people ever saving themselves. Even allowing for fucking magic though, it should obviously be vital to get rid of people like Musk because what you'll get from magitek under guys like that is nerve stapling.

Ten years ago I'd have thought hacker punks were the great tech hope in that future, but turns out nerds are the world's easiest subculture to radicalize and set against one another.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:33 pm

I think you're massively conflating nerd subculture and Nerd Culture.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:19 am

Thad wrote:Beyond that? I think it's time for me to start seriously considering LASIK. I've had it in the back of my head for years. Insurance doesn't typically cover it, but I wonder if I could get a doctor's recommendation based on glasses causing migraines and contacts causing eye irritation. Something to look into.

I had LASIK in 2008 and it was the best 2 grand I've ever spent, hands down. Insurance doesn't cover it but that's good, actually: if insurance covered it the procedure would cost $15,000 and your out-of-pocket would be greater than what you'll actually have to pay.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:37 am

pacobird wrote:
Thad wrote:Beyond that? I think it's time for me to start seriously considering LASIK. I've had it in the back of my head for years. Insurance doesn't typically cover it, but I wonder if I could get a doctor's recommendation based on glasses causing migraines and contacts causing eye irritation. Something to look into.

I had LASIK in 2008 and it was the best 2 grand I've ever spent, hands down. Insurance doesn't cover it but that's good, actually: if insurance covered it the procedure would cost $15,000 and your out-of-pocket would be greater than what you'll actually have to pay.

Good to know. My plan does appear to cover 15%, so I'll keep all that in mind as I start looking.

I've got an old friend from high school who got it and told me he'd refer me to his guy if I was interested. I should hit him up. And maybe not buy an entire year's supply of contact lenses like I used to do for the bulk discount.

mharr

Postby mharr » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:16 pm

Brentai wrote:I think you're massively conflating nerd subculture and Nerd Culture.

Er, maybe. I'm confused over which is which these days. I meant the Rational Centrist ones with the Jordan Peterson obsession.