Computer help requests

mharr

Re: Computer help requests

Postby mharr » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:45 pm

Just the general viewing and printing, fillable forms would be a bonus. My creation needs are covered by print-to-pdf.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:13 pm

Then I'll second mongrel's suggestion of Foxit reader.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

mharr

Postby mharr » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:28 pm

Searching Foxit I see a bunch of people saying it's on a mission to turn itself into Adobe. (bloat, unwanted plugins, aggressive updater, takes a whole work day to uninstall) Is there some sort of Lite or portable version that dodges that for now?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:44 pm

Weird, I haven't seen an update for it in ages.

I must have updates turned off or something, and despite expectations, no I wouldn't normally do that.

EDIT: Nope, I have it on the default of weekly checks. Odd! I was more worried I was recommending something which had passed EoL!

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:44 pm

I just use Chrome's PDF viewer whenever I've needed to interact with a PDF these days.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:59 pm

Thad wrote:What's a good news aggregator site? Ideally one where I can mute not just specific sources (Fox News, Breitbart, and frankly fuck the NYT and Newsweek at this point) but particular topics (I don't care about sports and while I'm okay with the topics of entertainment and health in theory, the vast majority of articles in those sections are gossip about who Brad Pitt is dating and sensationalistic misrepresentations of recent medical studies, respectively).

news360 shut down so I'm back on this question. I'm trying Inoreader but it looks like it's just an RSS aggregator with a limited feature set. I tried Flipboard but couldn't even authenticate my e-mail address; the authentication link sent me to an error page.

Anything else out there that's...if not as good as Google News, at least as good as a cheap knockoff of Google News?

Crick

Postby Crick » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:06 pm

Have you tried Feedly? It's basically an RSS aggregator, but I like it enough for keeping up to date without being shackled to an algorithm. The version I use is free.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:23 pm

It's not bad; looks better than Inoreader. But it shares its problem that it only shows you news from sources you've explicitly subscribed to.

I kinda prefer the approach of "show me everything and then let me pare it down."

News360 was kind of a ramshackle mess but I liked how it allowed you to block posts by tag. So not just sources (Fox News) or broad categories (Sports) but more granular topics (I do not care about the queen's funeral, stop showing me articles about it) or particular writers (I might subscribe to CNN, but only if I can block Cillizza).

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:47 pm

Looks like my hosting provider's shutting down. Anybody know a good provider for web and e-mail hosting?

Need PHP/MySQL support. Specifically Wordpress and Tiny Tiny RSS. If the hosting provider includes them as supported apps, that's fine but not necessary; as long as it supports PHP and MySQL and lets me upload my own shit I can take care of it.

TIA.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:55 pm

My brother mentioned he's having trouble building a computer (he's never done it before); he put it together and it won't POST and he's not sure what the issue is.

It's the kind of thing I can't really help him with remotely, beyond asking him basic troubleshooting questions which he's already tried. Anybody have any suggestions for how he might find a local enthusiast group or something and see if he can get somebody to help him? He's in Hilo, HI.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:26 pm

So having migrated to a new host, I was having some trouble setting up Tiny Tiny RSS, so I went to the website to see if I could figure out how to fix it and it turns out the developer has a Pepe the Frog avatar and responds to bug reports using phrases like (CW ableist language) "autistic meltdown" and "sperging out" so uh anyway now I'm not looking for ways to fix Tiny Tiny RSS anymore, I'm looking for a different RSS app. I'm thinking maybe FreshRSS?

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:07 am

Welp, guess I'm looking for another news aggregator. Again.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:20 am

If you find one, let me know.

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:06 am

I've been using Inoreader and it does a pretty good job
signature

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:29 pm

I've been happy with NewsBlur.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:29 pm

Well, shoot. I tried to recover some old IDE hard drives again (I do mean old; the oldest is dated 2002, and the newest is dated 2008), but no dice. I have one of those USB adapter thingies that everyone on YouTube suggests, but the most I get from it is Windows going "whoop, the thing ain't workin' right."

I wonder if it's the jumper settings or something? None of the tutorials I used made any mention of them at all. I don't think they're damaged or anything, either; we did a big house move, but I made sure to move these personally. I can at least hear and feel them spinning up when I try.

I wonder if there's a place I could take them to have them recovered by someone who knows what they're doing, but I can't remember the last time I saw anything like an old computer shop.

I'm not even trying to do anything fancy. I just wanted to find some old cosplay photos and I've looked everywhere else.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts