My Car is Fucking Yellow

beatbandito

My Car is Fucking Yellow

Postby beatbandito » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:13 pm

Grossly Incandescent Yellow. The shit emits heat it is so bright and obvious, is what I'm saying.

So why the fuck do people keep running stop signs and hitting me? It's got to be more than just laziness, it's reckless abandon. It is an active ungiving of fucks that I submitted to the first driver who seemed clearly intoxicated, but the more recent guy was just a jerk.

Having dealt with this once before I know that New York has 'no fault' which, much like 'inflammable' means basically the opposite of what you would assume. In the last accident I was lucky enough to get my hands on security footage, which was the only reason I didn't end up paying for a chunk of the other guy totaling his own car. This time no such luck. Even having to pay for just my own damage is too much, since, besides the obvious of the being bullshit, the only damage the jerk has to deal with is buffing out where the metal cage over his bumper scuffed the paint. Also unfortunate: deciding you need to protect the front of your truck with something strong enough to push other cars out of your way can't actually be used against his defense.

So currently I'm feeling not just nervous but fucked, not having the one tool that got me out of this situation before. I know we have some law people here and just general life experience that could help me out. Even if it doesn't pertain exactly to this, I need any kind of hope to get out from under this.

Grath

Re: My Car is motherfucking Yellow

Postby Grath » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:02 pm

beatbandito wrote:Grossly Incandescent Yellow. The santorum emits heat it is so bright and obvious, is what I'm saying.

So why the assfuck do people keep running stop signs and hitting me? It's got to be more than just laziness, it's reckless abandon. It is an active ungiving of fucks that I submitted to the first driver who seemed clearly intoxicated, but the more recent guy was just a jerk.

Having dealt with this once before I know that New York has 'no fault' which, much like 'inflammable' means basically the opposite of what you would assume. In the last accident I was lucky enough to get my hands on security footage, which was the only reason I didn't end up paying for a chunk of the other guy totaling his own car. This time no such luck. Even having to pay for just my own damage is too much, since, besides the obvious of the being santorum, the only damage the jerk has to deal with is buffing out where the metal cage over his bumper scuffed the paint. Also unfortunate: deciding you need to protect the front of your truck with something strong enough to push other cars out of your way can't actually be used against his defense.

So currently I'm feeling not just nervous but assfucked, not having the one tool that got me out of this situation before. I know we have some law people here and just general life experience that could help me out. Even if it doesn't pertain exactly to this, I need any kind of hope to get out from under this.

It doesn't help now, but for the next time someone hits your grossly incandescent yellow car: There's a reason why everyone in Russia has dashcams, it's so that they can have a video to put up on Youtube of the crazy shit that happens in Russia. Also for proof when they get hit.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Yeah, I'm actually legitimately looking into that now. I'm not sure why one instance of "in an accident and video was my only savior" wasn't enough to push me towards it, but, to sound old-manny, I've been noticing more and more how terribly most people drive and cops are actively getting worse. One change from last time is that now I don't have access to the other guy's statement, insurance or any info until it's posted online in 7-10 days. Literally all the police do is write down our statements after hearing a sentence from each party and leave. I asked the cop about the reports and his only response was about how he can't get involved because it would show favoritism. Using logic to determine a lie would be favoritism.

If that sounds hyperbolic, while this accident was less clear (and I haven't seen the jerk's statement yet) at the last accident the other guy wrote that he came to a complete stop, and I had tried to speed past him while he was starting to go again. Yet somehow in the five feet from the sign and my car he gained enough speed to push me across a lane of traffic and destroy his front end. But it wasn't in the officer's duties to contend the statement at the scene, and after being filed they can't be changed.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Wouldn't it be in your favor not to tell someone "Your lie is obviously bullshit, come up with a better one" before registering it?

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:58 pm

No, because no one cares, that's the point. Even obvious lies are fine because the police "can't take sides" and the insurance company only takes the statements into account. If there's contention in the statements the only way to avoid paying is court. Basically the ball is in the court of whoever took the least damage to their vehicle.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: My Car is Fucking Yellow

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:02 pm

What state are you in, Beat? I can try to ask around.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:57 pm

I'm going to use my Holmesian intellect to deduce that he's in New York.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:15 pm

Spram

Postby Spram » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:19 pm

I try to avoid yellow cars. People with yellow cars usually drive badly.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Spram wrote:I try to avoid yellow cars. People with yellow cars usually drive badly.

That's cool bro.

Anyway, in a pretty cool twist this has developed more like the end of an eighties movie than I had expected. The autobody shop where I went last time ordered the new back panel before I even have insurance info so they can get me in right away. I found out this morning his grill gouged my tire, but the owner of a nearby tire place was still pumped that I was able to help him out with a backflow test at the last second a few weeks ago (though that was really more my boss setting it up) and is giving me a deal on a set of replacements for the back. And, most importantly, a woman who uses my mom for dog walking whose house and pets I was taking care of while my mom was laid up in the hospital last winter is actually a cop in the same precinct. She's got all the info and is keeping me up to date so I can get all the accident reports and insurance before the other guy to get the ball rolling, and basically told me what happened at the last accident is bullshit and I should under no circumstances be paying from my own coverage if the guy had a stop sign and I had nothing.

In other, shorter words: I am much less crazy today and feel like things may actually work out.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:51 pm

Whoa, nice.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:38 pm

I really wanted to leave it at the 80s ending, but of course it's more complicated than that.

The information that I was able to get from the cop friend ended up not doing anything for me. It almost definitely should have been enough to at least contact their insured (full name, DOB, make.model of car and plate # all together) but it didn't get put in the system for her to look up until a full week later, and then after the insurance company stalled the full report was finally online for me to get (15 days from the crash.

Now another week later they've finally passed judgement and will split 80/20. Which is more than I expected from a first offer, but also with a reason I wasn't expecting and am now not prepared for. The officer listed as an 'Apparent Contributing Factor' for both of us as 'Driver Inattention/Distraction*' The asterisk means "Explain in Accident Description". His notes? "No injuries reported and P.O. did not witness." And now I can't get any more out of them, because a cop who wasn't there thought I was inattentive.

So I look into going through my insurance, and find out that if I don't go over 33% liability or $2200 in paid damages I would be safe from a rate increase. Since the 20% only came to $1200 I would be safe. Except haha if they pay then collect later they count the full $6000 not the actual amount they are paying. Plus if they take over they completely restart negotiations and who knows take a lesser percentage.

So either I pay $1200 plus ~$200 for my share of a rental for the time my cars in, or if I go through my 'insurance' I pay my $800 deductible and actively pay to later be reimbursed the rental which may cost more, depending on if they accept a lower rate because I image all insurance companies are joined in an eternal circle jerk. Plus while my rate doesn't go up I still get the mark on my insurance that makes my rates worse if I try to switch, which I want to.

So I'm feeling pretty fucked no matter what I do right now, and am leaning towards giving in and going with my insurance so I can just get it over with, but either way it's gonna hurt. I've thought about just poking around the slightly-less-sleazy local attorneys to see if I had anything better to go for because I feel like this is must just be an example of the insurance companies doing whatever they want because most people don't bother with the hassle of dealing with their bullshit. But I don't know how much more time or money I can invest in learning that I'm wrong about that.

malikial

Postby malikial » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:26 pm

That sucks man. Some people just shouldn't drive. I'm not kidding when I say that 2 times since he bought his MASSIVE FUCKING CHALLENGER James' car has been hit while it was parked in our driveway(I mean fully in the drive way past the sidewalk and everything. People backing into our drive to turn around have hit his parked car 2 times).