Internet Drama

beatbandito

Internet Drama

Postby beatbandito » Thu May 09, 2019 8:03 am

I don't know about you nerds, but I still love me some social media drama! On today's menu: this twitter exchange came to be, and no one involved was happy with it!

Lottel

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Lottel » Thu May 09, 2019 11:37 am

This is lacking so much context I have no idea what the drama is in the slightest.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu May 09, 2019 11:50 am

Lottel wrote:This is lacking so much context I have no idea what the drama is in the slightest.

Context:

François

Postby François » Thu May 09, 2019 11:51 am

Huh. The next couple DCA shows are gonna be weird. /understatement

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu May 09, 2019 11:55 am

That's what makes it so much fun!

Youtuber Projared was married to Heidi (cosplayer). Ross (of gamegrumps and other stuff) and Holly (cosplayer) were also married.

Last night ProJared posted

and Heidi responded with a (see Grath post)

That was the fun part, but now it looks like PJ has been sending dickpicks to potentially underaged fans for years, as it always winds up being about.

François

Postby François » Thu May 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Probably a fair whack of people gonna have second thoughts about those The Descent tickets too, dang. The event's not built around DCA but they're still a big pull. And Anna Prosser's hosting the thing too I think? (Not that she seems to have anything to do with this particular nonsense, it's just that she and Chris Perkins and Nathan Sharp might sorta end up in the splash zone through no fault of their own.) There's gotta be some sort of Serious Business conversation going on at WotC right now.

...oof, yeah, there it is: http://dnd.wizards.com/dndlive2019. Jared and Holly are in the first game on the first day. All of the yikes.

Ironically enough, Jared seems to have cultivated the sort of community that doesn't take this sort of thing well, so it's not like he has a core of shitheads to fall back on. Man, what a sequence of bad life decisions.

(Full disclosure, I rather enjoyed J & H's stuff individually before all of this, and it's the last thing I would have expected of either of them, so the whole thing is surreal as heck to me.)

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Are... are there really this many people making a living live-streaming playing D&D? And it's become this organized, with huge events?

Definitely having an "I am old and completely out of touch" moment here.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 09, 2019 12:29 pm

although how is this thread not called 'D & Drama'

François

Postby François » Thu May 09, 2019 12:40 pm

I don't know that they make a living of it, Holly has another job and Jared is (was) primarily a general gaming streamer, but Wizards' D&D business has definitely been benefiting from the exposure of live D&D streams for a while, and Dice, Camera, Action is basically their main in-house show.

There's big money in the notion, though. The most popular series, Critical Role, just kickstarted 11 million for an animated adaptation. They're not directly connected with WotC other than in how they're playing D&D, though. And the players are voice actors (most of them? I don't follow that one), so everyone still has a day job.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Thu May 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Lottel wrote:This is lacking so much context I have no idea what the drama is in the slightest.

Man, I can tell I'm getting old and cantankerous when this is my first reaction.

Is this what Thad feels like all the time? I don't like it.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu May 09, 2019 1:13 pm

The best thing is my mobile browser blocks Twitter embeds and I'm perfectly happy with that so not only do I have a blank space for the drama I also have a blank space for the reaction, the reaction to the reaction, and the reaction to all the reactions.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu May 09, 2019 1:22 pm

Brentai wrote:The best thing is my mobile browser blocks Twitter embeds and I'm perfectly happy with that so not only do I have a blank space for the drama I also have a blank space for the reaction, the reaction to the reaction, and the reaction to all the reactions.

Bonus: People have been re-sharing the nudes Jared sent them, so you're safe from accidentally seeing a random weirdo's dick pics.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu May 09, 2019 2:19 pm

Apperently this has been brewing a while, Game Grumps quietly removed all his content on their channel a WHIIIIIILE ago, for instance.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Thu May 09, 2019 2:27 pm

Weird because I noticed last night that Polygon still had all of Nick Robinson's stuff up.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu May 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Grath wrote:so you're safe from accidentally seeing a random's weirdo dick pics.

fixed that for ya'

Something something I can appreciate the light because I know the darkness something something
(no actual dick, but NSFW)

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu May 09, 2019 3:02 pm

François

Postby François » Thu May 09, 2019 3:37 pm

The unusual thing here is that this isn't some PewDiePie slash Logan Paul business where they've openly been dumbfuck misogynist borderline-Nazi dudebros for a long time and everyone with half a brain was cheering long-overdue comeuppance. For the general public, this is kind of out of nowhere.

DCA has been, for years, an emotional found-family story, there's been some good LGBTQ+ representation in certain ways, and the on-screen relationship between Jared and Holly's characters had been nothing but wholesome and actually kind of sweet (which makes this all the weirder to think about). For a while, I think it wouldn't have been inaccurate to say Jared's the one big game streamer who isn't some howling dipshit, and Holly's big into mental health awareness stuff, and right now I have a subscription to her twitch channel ticking down because someone gave it to me just for showing up to her "Mental Health Mondays" streams, which I've found fairly helpful on occasion.

I'm not saying that to defend them or what they've done, but... The communities around these people and their works are generally diverse and positive, and there's a lot of decent folk taking collateral damage, so I can't really find it in myself to experience a lot of schadenfreude. It's a bad situation all around for everyone, and in the background of the usual Internet dogpile, there's a ton of vulnerable people feeling hurt and betrayed.

I've said it already, but it feels more true every time I think about it: what a sequence of bad life decisions.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu May 09, 2019 4:19 pm

As for all the bystanders being pulled up into this, I believe if you carry a sword (or comment on twitter drama) you should be prepared to use it.

I really don't know ProJared or any of the Normal Boots team all that well, but I was a Commander Holly fan before game grumps, and fwiw I really felt like it was obvious her and Ross were in a bad relationship (or at least something I personally would not consider a good relationship) before I even knew they actually got married. I'm interested in her side of things, but it's pretty clear why she wouldn't comment. I like to think their end was "our relationship was never great, I have feelings for this guy, and I hate this city" then she started getting that Pro D after their relationship had ended. Though I have a hard time rationalizing why Holly would think it was okay to intrude into Heidi's marriage.

That's all just actual gossip bullshit though, I prefer looking at this for the photoshops of Jared's weird umbrella-dong.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Lottel wrote:

Man, I can tell I'm getting old and cantankerous when this is my first reaction.

Is this what Thad feels like all the time? I don't like it.

Me neither, but imagine how much worse it would feel to actually understand what the fuck everyone is talking about.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu May 09, 2019 6:06 pm

François wrote:The unusual thing here is that this isn't some PewDiePie slash Logan Paul business where they've openly been dumbfuck misogynist borderline-Nazi dudebros for a long time and everyone with half a brain was cheering long-overdue comeuppance. For the general public, this is kind of out of nowhere.

DCA has been, for years, an emotional found-family story, there's been some good LGBTQ+ representation in certain ways, and the on-screen relationship between Jared and Holly's characters had been nothing but wholesome and actually kind of sweet (which makes this all the weirder to think about). For a while, I think it wouldn't have been inaccurate to say Jared's the one big game streamer who isn't some howling dipshit, and Holly's big into mental health awareness stuff, and right now I have a subscription to her twitch channel ticking down because someone gave it to me just for showing up to her "Mental Health Mondays" streams, which I've found fairly helpful on occasion.

I'm not saying that to defend them or what they've done, but... The communities around these people and their works are generally diverse and positive, and there's a lot of decent folk taking collateral damage, so I can't really find it in myself to experience a lot of schadenfreude. It's a bad situation all around for everyone, and in the background of the usual Internet dogpile, there's a ton of vulnerable people feeling hurt and betrayed.

I've said it already, but it feels more true every time I think about it: what a sequence of bad life decisions.

Adultery is one of those universal romantic situations which has little alignment to intelligence, race, creed, colour, political or moral beliefs, etc.

Even a person's inherent capacity for empathy may not prevent their harming people close to them, since anyone can make a series of stupid mistakes and end up in a bad relationship, or wreck a perfectly good one, due to whatever personal blindspots they have (like following their dick around and doing whatever it tells them) and/or may lack the social and emotional tools to properly resolve a bad situation or to maintain an established relationship.

We don't assume the political beliefs of someone who ends up in an abusive relationship. We understand that person may have made a mistake, but that they're a victim and that usually has nothing to do with their politics. On sorta-the-other-side-of-the-coin adultery is a form of abuse (though it can be complicated), and I wouldn't see why it would be any more politically aligned.

If someone you normally feel is ethical and responsible turns out to be cheating on their SO, I don't think those things are irreconcilable. You don't want to be jumping at shadows, but assuming someone is "not that kind of person" or "wouldn't do that to anyone", may lead to our own failure to read otherwise-obvious signals, or giving someone a pass for doing harm.

tl;dr: Mostly-good people can do bad things. It happens. It's tough to take.