Internet Drama

User avatar
Mongrel
Posts: 14977
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: Canadumb

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Mongrel » Sat May 11, 2019 12:34 pm

nosimpleway wrote:I have read that if a lady isn't paying any attention to you, she'll at least yell at you for sending unsolicited lewds. That counts as talking to a girl right

Nobody was sending dick pics when taking a photograph took several hours.


Renaissance dick pics, oil on canvas, meticulously-rendered light and shadow to suggest volume and expression beyond anything seen in Medieval-era dick pics

Hung in the gallery if you know what I mean

Hmmm, they DID have those codpieces.

Story checks out.
Image

User avatar
zaratustra
Posts: 1503
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Internet Drama

Postby zaratustra » Sat May 11, 2019 3:13 pm

ok bashing on youtubers is always hilarious but is there a specific ethical reason I should care about other people cheating on their spouses

User avatar
Grath
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Grath » Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 pm

zaratustra wrote:ok bashing on youtubers is always hilarious but is there a specific ethical reason I should care about other people cheating on their spouses

I mean, there's the "pressuring underage fans for nudes" part that came out during this.

User avatar
Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Joxam » Sat May 11, 2019 7:33 pm

I hated how his wife just kinda admitted that she knew about that for years and when they were a happy couple they treated it as a funny 'tumblr joke'.
Image

User avatar
Büge
Posts: 3738
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Büge » Sat May 11, 2019 11:35 pm

Jared might be going to jail.

This is a Reddit thread, so the specifics are unclear, but it seems he groomed a minor (who is still a minor) who kept records of their online interactions with him, and the top post is an update that they reported him to the DOJ.
Image

User avatar
Grath
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Grath » Sun May 12, 2019 12:54 am

Joxam wrote:I hated how his wife just kinda admitted that she knew about that for years and when they were a happy couple they treated it as a funny 'tumblr joke'.




I mean it's not absolving her but it sounds like she was unaware about him sending full nudes or involvement from underage fans.

User avatar
zaratustra
Posts: 1503
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Internet Drama

Postby zaratustra » Sun May 12, 2019 6:17 am

Grath wrote:
zaratustra wrote:ok bashing on youtubers is always hilarious but is there a specific ethical reason I should care about other people cheating on their spouses

I mean, there's the "pressuring underage fans for nudes" part that came out during this.


that will do it thanks

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 8467
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:55 pm

Saw that FF7 (Steam) is on sale again over at Humble. It's one of those games like Doom that I occasionally think "Yeah, I should have a legit copy of this in my Steam library in case I want to replay it sometime." (I may give the remake another shot someday since everybody else seems to like it better than I liked the demo, but I've still got RSI in my right hand, so original-recipe FF7 is more my speed right now.)

I went to check on the mods over at the qhimm forums, chiefly the Reunion set of mods, which include a new translation, something I'd been thinking about since a recent Ars article about Barret as a racial stereotype (don't read the comments). And it appears that the guy in charge of Reunion got himself banned last month.

This falls under the category of "I was surprised that the single most popular thing on the forum has disappeared but I am not terribly surprised that particular poster got himself banned." This is a guy who, I shit you not, e-mailed me to argue with me because he saw the following on my blog:

Retranslation -- this could go either way. It's sure to be more competent than the game's official translation, but it's too early to tell whether it will be any fun. Fan translations of Final Fantasy 4 and 5 back in the 1990's were fun and vastly superior to Square's initial attempts at English scripts for those games, but the fan translation of 6 met a more lukewarm reception; I'm part of the group that thinks it sucks all the charm out of Woolsey's (admittedly compromised) version. Now, this 7 fan translation could end up like 4 and 5, or it could end up like 6 -- and given that the focus seems to be on debating whether the Turks should be named Reno and Elena or Leno and Yrena, I'm sadly inclined to fear the latter. But hey, at least they know how to spell mithril.


Anyway the Reunion mods are over at ff7.live now, in case anyone's curious as to whether that translation wound up being any good or not. I wouldn't expect them to work with anyone else's mods, though.

ETA: I downloaded the Reunion mod and wow the unhinged rant that's included as an RTF in the 7zip file (which is apparently the thing that finally got him banned) is something else.

User avatar
Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus
Posts: 3585
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:12 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Mothra » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:05 pm

Anything juicy?

User avatar
Friday
Posts: 4270
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm
Location: A user of Sosuns

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Friday » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:16 pm

And it appears that the guy in charge of Reunion got himself banned last month.


Reading the replies in this thread is exactly like reading the replies in the mid-2000s here whenever a toxic person would get banned (even temp).

"Yeah I know he's a horrible asshole who upsets everyone over and over and over and over and over and over and we've given him a hundred warnings and chances to improve but did we really have to BAN HIM!?!?!?!"

Giving someone a second chance is morally obligatory. Giving someone a third chance is human. Giving someone a fourth chance is generous.

Giving someone a tenth chance is being a fucking sucker.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 8467
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:34 pm

Mothra wrote:Anything juicy?


No, near as I can tell he's just a run-of-the-mill asshole. He rants at length about the GPL, the forum moderators, other modders and how much their mods suck.

He actually has some pretty fair criticisms in there -- apparently another modder threatened legal action for an alleged GPL violation that's pretty debatable, and he makes some criticisms about modders being more concerned with adding features than fixing bugs and with fragmentation and duplication of efforts preventing the development of any kind of consistent approach to modding -- but he's just such an unrelenting prick about the whole thing that it's pretty clear why people would rather develop their own toolsets than try to collaborate with him. He's just a guy who's looking for a confrontation -- again, dude once e-mailed me, completely unprompted except that I'd briefly mentioned his project on my blog, to argue with me about how his fixation on "Phoenix Tail" and "Phoenix Down" was not an indication that he was hung-up on an overly literal translation. (Aside from the GPL rant, the patch also includes a list of "Incorrect Character Names" and "Incorrect Place Names" you can choose to keep when you apply the patch. He appears to have relented on "Phoenix Down" as "incorrect" and put it under "Series Canon".)

I'm still, at minimum, morbidly curious to try out his localization. If nothing else, he was pretty vocal about not making Barret a racial stereotype, so props for that.

And I kinda wonder if he ever completed the mod that was going to replace Cait Sith with a party member who's more appropriately angsty.

Friday wrote:Reading the replies in this thread is exactly like reading the replies in the mid-2000s here whenever a toxic person would get banned (even temp).

"Yeah I know he's a horrible asshole who upsets everyone over and over and over and over and over and over and we've given him a hundred warnings and chances to improve but did we really have to BAN HIM!?!?!?!"

Giving someone a second chance is morally obligatory. Giving someone a third chance is human. Giving someone a fourth chance is generous.

Giving someone a tenth chance is being a fucking sucker.


I can definitely relate to the part where the mods say "look, he just kept ban-dodging and we got tired of banning him every time."

User avatar
mharr
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:54 am
Location: UK

Re: Internet Drama

Postby mharr » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:50 pm

There's always that one guy whose life strategy is to build up some technical skill to the point of being indispensible so he doesn't need to learn any of those filthy casual social skills. The world seems more aware now that they're not worth the psychic cost and you can get better work done with three moderately skilled normal people, and thank God.

User avatar
Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus
Posts: 3061
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Brentai » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:53 pm

Well, crap.
Image

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 8467
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:05 pm

mharr wrote:There's always that one guy whose life strategy is to build up some technical skill to the point of being indispensible so he doesn't need to learn any of those filthy casual social skills. The world seems more aware now that they're not worth the psychic cost and you can get better work done with three moderately skilled normal people, and thank God.

I read The Dilbert Principle back in my teen years, back when I was a Scott Adams fan.

There's a chapter on this subject that was pretty formative for me: basically, no matter how good assholes are at their jobs, they're not worth it. (That's a paraphrase, but the word "assholes" was definitely in there.)

Adams has said a lot of stupid shit over the years, but that observation, at least, was bang-on.

Brentai wrote:Well, crap.

Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and drink your goddamn TEA!

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 8467
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:59 pm

Thad wrote:
Friday wrote:Reading the replies in this thread is exactly like reading the replies in the mid-2000s here whenever a toxic person would get banned (even temp).

"Yeah I know he's a horrible asshole who upsets everyone over and over and over and over and over and over and we've given him a hundred warnings and chances to improve but did we really have to BAN HIM!?!?!?!"

Giving someone a second chance is morally obligatory. Giving someone a third chance is human. Giving someone a fourth chance is generous.

Giving someone a tenth chance is being a fucking sucker.


I can definitely relate to the part where the mods say "look, he just kept ban-dodging and we got tired of banning him every time."

(And neither of us even mentioned the part where the thread also includes the admins deciding to get rid of karma because it just creates drama.)

Niku
Posts: 1255
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Niku » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:19 am

karma-
Image

User avatar
LaserBeing
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:24 am
Contact:

Re: Internet Drama

Postby LaserBeing » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:15 pm

Image
Image

User avatar
Friday
Posts: 4270
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm
Location: A user of Sosuns

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Friday » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:49 pm

So I was curious and checked my old account's posting stats, compared to mine now. Both boards are about 6ish years old at this point.

My old account had 5122 posts, this one just passed 4000. Thad is slightly above his old account at 7964 compared to 7886, but that's statistically negligible.

So in the same amount of time, Thad's posting habits haven't really changed, but my posts have dropped to about 4/5ths as frequent.

Brentai has gone from 17524 to 2911.

Mongrel has dropped slightly from 17029 to 14467.

And yes, you read that right. Old Brentai posted more than Old Mongrel, who posted more than he does now.

Our other big poster, Buge, has also dropped off considerably, from 10062 to 3589.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Thad
Posts: 8467
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am
Location: 1611 Uranus Avenue
Contact:

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Thad » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:39 am

Leeham-chan wrote:Image

Even caught some extra bonus forum drama down at the bottom there.

Friday wrote:Thad is slightly above his old account at 7964 compared to 7886, but that's statistically negligible.

So in the same amount of time, Thad's posting habits haven't really changed,


They've averaged out to about the same but I'd say they changed. I went through a period of not really posting much at all somewhere between '08 and '10, when I was working in a warehouse, started dating again, eventually moved in with my now-wife, and got valley fever and pneumonia. Then in '11, '12 I wound up in a job where I was pretty much sitting in a room by myself doing a job that consisted 90% of reading books and fucking around on the Internet while waiting for files to copy, so I was spending a hell of a lot of time on the boards then. (Plus posting at least 12 times a week on my blog.)

I'd say that since the last forum migration, my posting rate's been pretty steady; it's averaged out to about the same as the previous incarnation of the boards but hasn't been as slow as my slowest period or as frequent as my frequent period.

User avatar
Büge
Posts: 3738
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Re: Internet Drama

Postby Büge » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:24 pm

Friday wrote:Our other big poster, Buge, has also dropped off considerably, from 10062 to 3589.


Be more interesting!
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest