Home furnishing

Thad

Home furnishing

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:40 pm

I'm planning on moving sometime in the next few months. Ideally sometime after it cools off and before it gets hot again.

It's occurred to me that with the new house I'm going to need to get some new furniture.

This is my entertainment center.

I got it at Ikea in 2006 and I'm tired of having to move it every time I need to run a cable. Plus I think I'm going to put the TV in the corner at the new house, so I'll need something that's not as wide.

I'm thinking I might put all that shit in a server cabinet. Except the subwoofer, which is in that cabinet for space-saving reasons but that's not a good place for it. Instead of the subwoofer, I'd probably put my HTPC (not pictured) in there.

It doesn't have to be a server cabinet, necessarily, since none of that stuff is actually rack-sized. I could move my HTPC into a rack-mount chassis, but I probably won't; rack-mount cases aren't generally designed for the features you want in an HTPC, so I'll probably just keep the mid-tower case I've got and stick it on its side on a shelf. But the advantage of going with a server cabinet is it's likely to have some kind of built-in cable management and a place I can put a surge protector so it's inside the cabinet. And if I want to add things like a network switch or an HDMI switch, those come in standard rack-mount sizes.

I'm thinking something with wheels so I can easily move it and get at the back when I need to run cable. I don't want to move a giant entertainment center to do that anymore. I'm kinda going back-and-forth on whether I want doors on the front and back; the upside to them is that my equipment won't get so dusty, but the downside is it won't have as much ventilation. I haven't had problems with heat up to this point -- it's not like I ever turn all those things on at once -- but it's a consideration.

Haven't decided yet whether I'd want one tall one or two short ones, either.

(Eventually I'll want to replace that audio receiver with something that's a little more up to spec, too; it can only support 4K at 30Hz, so anything I want to run at a higher resolution than that needs to run two HDMI cables, one directly to the TV and one to the receiver. So far that's just my HTPC and that 4K Blu-Ray player I just got on eBay, but someday I'll have more equipment that'll handle 4K and/or FreeSync. Plus it might be nice to get Atmos support. But for now that's still in the future.)

Anyhow, at this point I'm just kinda thinking out loud. If anybody's got any other, better ideas for how to handle my Too Much Shit that's hooked up to my TV, I'd be interested in hearing them. (And I might box up a bunch of that stuff -- the Wii U, the Xbox 360, the AVS, the OSSC -- since I haven't used it recently, but that still doesn't solve the problem that sooner or later I'm going to have to hook new shit up to my TV and I'd sure like to be able to minimize the hassle of the process.)

beatbandito

Re: Home furnishing

Postby beatbandito » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:52 pm