Nature

Friday

Nature

Postby Friday » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:07 pm

So for awhile now I've sort of wanted a thread where people can post cool nature shit and we don't really have one of those

or maybe we do and I've got brain problems whatever

So this is the thread for cool nature stuff and landscape shots

some of you might already know but I spend a good amount of time "googling around" which just means going on google street view and clicking on photospheres and sometimes you find really cool shots/places

So in addition to animal stuff that isn't shunted into the cute thread, landscape stuff can go here

Anyway here is Bobcat vs Rattlesnake

And here is a waterfall pretending to be a river

and here is some dogs chilling in a waterfall

and here is Whitehaven Beach, Australia

and here is Mount Olympus in the middle of Oahu, where you can see most of the island, including Honolulu on one side

(for those of you who might not know, you can click and drag photospheres to look around)
ImageImageImage

Büge

Re: Nature

Postby Büge » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:50 pm

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:42 pm

look at all those Chickens
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:29 am

ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:36 am

"Am I liable if my murder attempts murder?" a short but entertaining corvid saga:

⇳ Click to Expand Summary

Postby Newbie » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:47 pm

Büge wrote:

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks."
tiny text

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:23 pm

So I recently discovers the Azores, islands in the Atlantic that are part of Portugal that I never knew existed.

Anyway, they're really beautiful.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:14 pm

It's sort of funny because I know a couple guys in the Azores and the only times they bring it up is because of things like the extra duty they pay on everything that's shipped to them, or exorbitant rates for crappy internet, and how much more expensive it is to live there.

It's a fun reminder that Island Life is a thing for rich folks is really a concept mostly centred around the Caribbean, and that other islands, even relatively large ones like New Zealand, face similar issues in a globalized world.

I know you like Hawaii - they're very lucky there as they're a State and thus entitled to federal rates on a lot of things like USPS, so that even if many things ARE still more expensive there, they're in a much better position than a lot of similar places.

But I'm with you. Those places are beautiful.

I'd love to live on a quiet, temperate island, postal duties and annoyances notwithstanding. City life in a decent city is great too, but as the last year has shown, it's paradoxically way easier to just stay holed up inside, all day, every day in a big city. And when you DON'T want to be in a big city, well, it's like trying to escape a gravity well to launch into orbit just to get out of town.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:19 pm

Yeah, the cost of living on islands is a real barrier.

But Hawaii is well positioned in so many ways. It's the United States, so I don't need to immigrate, it's my perfect prefered climate, if you're not on Oahu it's pretty sparsely populated, it's one of the most (if not the most) left states in the union, etc.

And of course it's a literal paradise.

I mean, I'll miss In N Out. And my friends who live here. But if I could get the money, I'd move there in an instant. It's just so, so much better for me than anywhere else outside of like maybe New Zealand.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:26 pm

Friday wrote:And of course it's a literal paradise.

The scarier (sadder?) thing is looking at former paradises like California (EDIT: ah shit, no pun intended) and realizing that the only reason this is true for the islands is BECAUSE they're "inconvenient".

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:46 pm

Paradise was kind of boring, to be honest. It was a bedroom community built in the hills. Well, originally it was a lumber and mining community. There used to be a train that ferried lumber down from the forests, through Paradise, and into Chico.

You can still find the remnants. A street called Flume in Chico where they used to process the logs, and they turned the train tracks into a bike path that goes all the way up into the hills.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:24 am

@Mongrel

For some reason I never realized that the final standoff at the end of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly takes place at a real place that you can find on google maps.

Anyway, here's Sad Hill Cemetery, Spain, as it exists today.

There's plenty of other angles/photospheres to look at if you want. You can even see the center circle just from the satellite.

Here's an angle I like. Flip the camera around for some cows.

I couldn't find any spheres of three guys reenacting the standoff, sadly. Though that is now 100% on my bucket list.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:42 pm

Oh yeah! Looks like someone's actively maintaining it, since some of those crosses look newer? Would make sense if it's become a tourist destination.

I always liked the story about the bridge and how it was built by the Spanish army (who also supplied the extras for the Civil War battle) and how it had to be built twice, because the first time it was accidentally blown up before the cameras were rolling.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:06 pm

crowssing guard

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:40 pm

They can keep animals from getting killed by small vehicles, but, like, the big eighteen-wheelers they can't do anything about.

Every crow knows how to give the warning call of "CAH! CAH!" but not one has managed to shout "TRUCK!"

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:23 am

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:32 pm

(scrolls through the forum looking for some other topic)

...wow, wait a sec. Nature thread? I wonder if I can share my Cardboard panoramics somehow? I know it's not the same as being there, but I could use someplace to talk about places we've gone in the overworld.

Looks like I also need somewhere better than Imgur to park photos online from my phone. That site doesn't even allow mobile uploads without an app, and the sharing is confusing anyway.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:23 am

KingRoyal

Postby KingRoyal » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:26 am

It's a rare day when Octodad is proven to be a scientifically accurate game
signature

Mongrel