Election 2020 - Here we go again

Thad

Re: Election 2020 - Here we go again

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:48 pm

Yoji wrote:I'm old enough to remember when Fox et al lost its goddamned mind when Obama had the audacity to bind a large stack of papers, or when they trashed his wife for telling people they should drink more water.

I'm not talking about Fox News or the makers of the ad or anybody else whose job it is to just blatantly lie. I'm talking more about the rank-and-file who parrot that shit.

I know we're talking about some extraordinarily dumb people here, but even among people who are so dumb they think Trump is smart, a lot of them have to know that's bullshit, have to hear "partying on a yacht" and know that's the sort of thing Donald Trump does.

The same sort of person who doesn't care that Trump doesn't pay his taxes is currently acting Very Angry about allegations that Mark Kelly didn't pay his. I guess I'm curious how much of that is performative and how much of it is people just utterly lacking in cognitive dissonance. And whether it matters.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:00 pm

Mongrel wrote:
Yoji wrote:These people don't stand for anything, and they'd probably vote for Literally Satan if there were a -R next to His name.

Well, that would almost certainly be part of God's Plan to bring about the Day of Judgment, right? And of course they know they'll be judged as virtuous, so that would make a heap of sense.

... but really all they need is Satan telling them he's Jesus. When you abdicate from your responsibility to think, all you need to do to be virtuous is just follow your orders.

https://www.benjaminlcorey.com/could-am ... edictions/
Do I believe this? No. Have I enjoyed sending this to people who claim that Trump is God-sent? Yes.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 pm

I mean, that's the thing about vague, symbolic prophecies. Given enough time, and enough iterations of repeating history, they will eventually come true (or true enough that they "qualify"). So even if you don't believe in Christian mythology, eventually someone, somewhere, will be the "anti-christ" as is described and do the things or close to the things the anti-christ is supposed to do.
ImageImageImage

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:33 pm

And that person will be Donald Trump
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:56 pm

Thad wrote:I want to think the question "How can anyone justify campaigning against conspicuous displays of wealth while simultaneously supporting Trump?" has a more complex psychological answer than "Anything their guy does is good, anything the other guy does is bad," but I increasingly believe that yeah it really is as simple as that.

You're still thinking in terms of a moral standard that applies to everybody equally, that they've simply chosen to ignore. The very core of the white supremist mentality is that they are divinely exempted from the regulations and standards that they impose on others. Donald Trump is one of the Chosen, as evidenced by the fact that he is still allowed to be a rich person despite collapsing every business he's ever been involved in.

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:17 pm

I heard a podcast go over some of the stuff about American Evangelical Christians. Specifically born-agains.

Essentially their belief system is:
The tenets of Christianity exist and must be socially enforced so that people who violate them experience a small preview of Hell.
This preview of Hell scares them to Jesus.
Once they come to Jesus, they are born again, assured a place in Heaven, their soul saved.
This cannot be undone, so they have no more need to be bound by the rules of the church.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:21 pm

Brentai wrote:
Thad wrote:I want to think the question "How can anyone justify campaigning against conspicuous displays of wealth while simultaneously supporting Trump?" has a more complex psychological answer than "Anything their guy does is good, anything the other guy does is bad," but I increasingly believe that yeah it really is as simple as that.

You're still thinking in terms of a moral standard that applies to everybody equally, that they've simply chosen to ignore. The very core of the white supremist mentality is that they are divinely exempted from the regulations and standards that they impose on others. Donald Trump is one of the Chosen, as evidenced by the fact that he is still allowed to be a rich person despite collapsing every business he's ever been involved in.

I get that that's the subtext. I'm skeptical that many of them are actually cognizant of it in terms that are that stark and self-aware.

Brentai
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brentai » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:46 pm

I regret to inform you that the majority of them are fully cognizant of it, and quite proud of their behavior. This is what happens when trolling goes from a hobby to a way of life.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:16 am

Prognostications can be fascinating things. I think one of the things that allowed biblical writers to be awfully specific is that malicious behaviours have not exactly changed radically in a mere two thousand years. Assholes still stink, and powerful assholes stink the worst of them all.

Or as Chyenne put it so perfectly:

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:05 am

Brentai wrote:I regret to inform you that the majority of them are fully cognizant of it, and quite proud of their behavior.

...I...guess I'm not seeing that as substantially different from "Anything their guy does is good, anything the other guy does is bad."

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:45 pm

Biden's done a lot of awful things and holds a lot of terrible beliefs, but Giuliani thinking that this would make anyone hate Biden is such a hilarious indictment of Guiliani himself. This is basically animated after-school-special levels of villainy.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:02 pm

This is basically animated after-school-special levels of villainy.

As has been stated many times before, many actual cartoon and non-cartoon villains were directly modeled on Trump.

So it follows that the people who follow his lead (his cronies) will also act like that.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:35 am

A signpost that even the GOP are getting ready to lose in November:

(WaPo) They're setting up their usual sabotage strategy: screaming about deficits

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:43 am

Friday wrote:
This is basically animated after-school-special levels of villainy.

As has been stated many times before, many actual cartoon and non-cartoon villains were directly modeled on Trump.

So it follows that the people who follow his lead (his cronies) will also act like that.

The really tragic part of this is that how much of Biden's career has been spent denying thousands of other dads the opportunity he had in sending that.

Like, Guiliani is a wretched little lizard who thinks "love is for pussies", and the only reason he's not a bigger joke is that Trump outdoes him in every possible way by several orders of magnitude ("put on a suit and meet me outside!").

But you want to like Biden for this, maybe you even do like him for five minutes, and that hurts more than the laughs at Rudy's expense. Biden's so stupidly blind to all the hell and misery he created, just another prototypical ignorant privileged white guy.

mharr

Postby mharr » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:53 am

I gotta wonder if looking like the antichrist was part of the original campaign strategy behind the scenes. I can't see anyone telling Trump himself they were doing it, but the death cult is his base (not to mention his VP) and we have to remember they want the apocalypse. Accelerationism is evangelical.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:44 pm

CNN's electoral college map based on current polling.

I have no idea how accurate this is, but here you go.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:39 pm

I said before that it's looking like it'll take a combination of some new October surprise, polling error, and voter disenfranchisement above and beyond the usual amount of disenfranchisement we see every election in order for Trump to win. With two weeks until election day we're running out of runway for another October surprise. He can continue voter disenfranchisement efforts for about six more weeks after the election but he'll have a lot fewer options after the election than before it.

Still, Silver's model gives him about a 12% chance. That's slightly better than the odds of rolling a zero on a d10, and remember that Silver's model doesn't account for Trump playing with loaded dice.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:12 pm

Biden has received the coveted Richard Spencer endorsement.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm

I mean, judging by where I'm seeing this reported -- Newsweek, Pajamas Media, the Washington Examiner, the Federalist, GOP USA, the American Thinker, the Daily Mail -- it kinda seems like the main reason he did it is so that sources like Newsweek, Pajamas Media, the Washington Examiner, the Federalist, GOP USA, the American Thinker, and the Daily Mail would publish headlines saying "Richard Spencer Endorses Crab Juice".

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:27 pm

Missed the WaPo by *this* much. :D